Oil is now primary heat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHcpa

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Honyock NH
Broke $50 per barrel... Still burning wood as secondary and now pellet is last in line...Oil continues it's decline and look to lower price when I fill, so conserve pellet. Admit it, who else?

My 4 tons is paid for! Will fill oil in March/April. How do I make a happy face? :)

Still warmer for me with pellets. But I'm cranking the oil in spots I can't get with stove in the house.

Sure is toasty and it being cheap why not. Still have almost full tank.

Plus I froze my xxs off today on the snowmobile so feels good!

Cheers!

Reactions: Magilla60
Broke $50 per barrel... Still burning wood as secondary and now pellet is last in line...Oil continues it's decline and look to lower price when I fill, so conserve pellet. Admit it, who else?
Saw 2.24/gal for oil yesterday... Cannot believe it.. Paid 3.86/gal last February.. Prices still falling.

Reactions: zrtmatos
Same here.. 5 tons paid for..
Interesting to see what Oil will be next fall/winter...
to keep my house at Constant 74 degrees with Oil like I do with pellets Oil needs to be 2.00 gallon or less/

Tonyray, Sure your keeping the room the stove is in 74 but other's will be alot less, Oil heats my house evenly, right now it's 73 in my living room and next room over 10 feet away is low 60's..It's a F'n Space heater!!

I'm leaving the oil burner off til tomorrow night.

As for making it the main heat source, it's not going to happen unless the price of K2 falls under $1.40 a gallon.

Tonyray, Sure your keeping the room the stove is in 74 but other's will be alot less, Oil heats my house evenly, right now it's 73 in my living room and next room over 10 feet away is low 60's..It's a F'n Space heater!!
Maybe in your house...
I keep a thermometer 2 rooms away from the stove.
that F'n Space heater keeps that room 3 degrees less...71.
that F'n Space heater keeps the upstairs [3 beds/bath] 66 degrees..
I blame it on the hard to get Energex Golden Pellets...close to 9,000 BTU's.

Attachments

• Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 134
8::F here. "Not gonna do it". Pellets and wood are still stoking here! Anyone investing in pellet mills these days, hmmm..........

you can always save the pellets for next year...

Reactions: Mrr211
I have a large oil tank, I can go three years before I have to fill it up, I use it to supplement the pellet stove, The oil burner kicks on every two or three hours with the the thermostat set at 62F. The pellet stove burns continuously at the lowest setting, I add a bag of pellets every day and a half. Between the two the house stays a comfy 65 degrees.

Dave

I have a large oil tank, I can go three years before I have to fill it up, I use it to supplement the pellet stove, The oil burner kicks on every two or three hours with the the thermostat set at 62F. The pellet stove burns continuously at the lowest setting, I add a bag of pellets every day and a half. Between the two the house stays a comfy 65 degrees.
Dave
Brrrr! I like it around 68f but you know, the wife, she wants it at 70f minimum. After lugging wood and pellets taking care of the stoves, feels like 80f to me. Must be the high blood pressure.

Costing me 10 bucks a day just in pellets, also have to run space heaters and pay for elect to run stove. I'm about ready to throw the old stove out.

I blame it on the hard to get Energex Golden Pellets...close to 9,000 BTU's.

Point source heater doesn't care what the fuel is, just on how well you can distribute said heat and how tight/insulated the house is.

oil here the back on. electric rates up so high no more space heating. the f100 to small at the temps below 25*. thermostat set to 60* at night and 68* day( 5-8 pm) in family room only, rest of house goes from 60* in BR's to 70* KIT & LR. saving maybe a grand plus over last year ( we heat a mom inlaw apt in the lower lever of a 4k sq.ft. raised ranch. her apt is 1500sq.ft by itself). older I get the more IHATE THE COLD.

Reactions: Mrr211
Going to fill the oil tank this month but pellets paid for and gonna use them. Besides, I want the center of my garage back! Eight degrees f out and house is at seventy f where we set it. Insert not working hard. Heck, distribution fan even went off for a short time.

Reactions: Hdhogger
pellet stove heats my entire house.
granted, it's a single story @925 sq. feet. but with forced air oil as the alternative, even if oil reached a point where it "broke even" with my $224 per ton pellets, i'd still choose pellets.
steady heat vs. intermittent blasts of oil heated air followed by a period where it becomes less warm than i want.
why would i pay the same money to be much less comfortable?

Reactions: vinny11950
pellet stove heats my entire house.
granted, it's a single story @925 sq. feet. but with forced air oil as the alternative, even if oil reached a point where it "broke even" with my $224 per ton pellets, i'd still choose pellets.
steady heat vs. intermittent blasts of oil heated air followed by a period where it becomes less warm than i want.
why would i pay the same money to be much less comfortable?
Baseboard hot water FTW!

Going to fill the oil tank this month but pellets paid for and gonna use them. Besides, I want the center of my garage back! Eight degrees f out and house is at seventy f where we set it. Insert not working hard. Heck, distribution fan even went off for a short time.
6f here now Bud. Gotchya! JK==c Loved the Phantom. My Pop was a P51 Mustang fighter.

="mystove, post: 1861711, member: 25045"]Costing me 10 bucks a day just in pellets, also have to run space heaters and pay for elect to run stove. I'm about ready to throw the old stove out.[/quote]
Unfortunately we have no idea of what stove you have to give some advice.

="mystove, post: 1861711, member: 25045"]Costing me 10 bucks a day just in pellets, also have to run space heaters and pay for elect to run stove. I'm about ready to throw the old stove out.
Unfortunately we have no idea of what stove you have to give some advice.[/quote]
Or what you're trying to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.