Oil is now primary heat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw 2.24/gal for oil yesterday... Cannot believe it.. Paid 3.86/gal last February.. Prices still falling.
Have a delivery of 100 gals coming for 2.39. Oil down $4 bucks yesterday. Goldman Sachs says oil going lower, that means they're lining up patsies to short oil while they are secretely going long.

Reactions: vinny11950
Pellets still number one - few reasons
1 - I really like burning pellets
2 - My Wife really likes burning pellets

Price is not much of a factor.. (altho I will now run oil if we are away for the day - mainly because it is easier..)

Reactions: Woody1911a1
Rough guideline for when and what I heat with.....

35 deg and above outside temps = oil
15 to 35 degrees outside = pellets
15 deg and below outside = pellets + coal stove

Pellet stove is in an opposite end of the house to the coal stove and doesn't get the heat there very well, thus the coal stove gets fired for that end of the house.

Oil is getting into the $2 teens and while the pellets are paid for as March and April get closer and we have warmer days the oil will probably be getting used so I can refill in the spring at a good price. We all know oil won't be this price in the fall.

Oil is now $46 ish a barrel ...... waiting for it to dip below $40.

Heat oil ...... $2.2990 --- Holly's Oil ...... waiting for it to dip below the $2.00 mark.

Once it does, I'll bite for 100 gallons, that will give me a full tank again for the next 2 years.

Reactions: John Fortier
Right and its Good to use your primary heat. I still get a cleaning and have contract that I pay every year with oil company if something breaks there here quick.

Of course I only use about a half a tank a year but this year I'm using more.

And to be honest nice to have even heat through out the whole house. But still love my stove. Nice to have options.

Cheers!

UHN closed at its low of 20.09 today. I have a limit order at 19.96. My tank is small so I'll keep my low price reserve in this etf.
UHN now at 24.05, my order kicked in at 19.95, only 50 shrs. It still has $10 on the upside if you think oil is going back to where it was.

NYMEX heating fuel up 4.25 % yesterday, 8 cents

Oil's $3 a gallon around here now, the extended cold weather is increasing the price as crude oil is still under $50, I've been burning oil and pellets most of winter

3100 sq ft home / lots of glass:

Full oil tanks Nov 2014

Fuel usage thus far:
2 tons of pellet
1 cord of wood
365 gals oil (includes hot water)
9 day trip to Riviera Maya (priceless)

Oil's $3 a gallon around here now, the extended cold weather is increasing the price as crude oil is still under $50, I've been burning oil and pellets most of winter
NYMEX heating oil went up 16 cents Friday. News was showing gas pumps with gas back over $3:(

Gasoline is still $2.25 here.

Went to $2.35 Friday an hour after I got to town from $2.19 and of course needed to fill. Difference could have got me a heart attack in sack.

Gas $2.40
Oil $2.69 cash ( was as low as $2.39) oh well...

I saw oil in my town is at $2.90 this morning. And, gas went from 2.37 to 2.40 in the matter of two hours.

Oil is back up to $2.99 in my area. Its low was $2.79.

I actually ran out of oil. With all of the snow and the slope on my 1/4 mi long driveway, the driver didn't have the nerve. He needed sand to get back up the hill as well.

The drolet was doing double duty for a few days. :)

If oil drops, more people will move away from pellets, right? Won't that increase supply and potentially lower prices for pellets!?

Reactions: zrtmatos
If oil drops
Crude has not dropped now for a couple weeks and oil and gas is rising pretty fast because steel workers strike at refineries

This Original Post about lower Oil prices.started January 6th...
My how prices changed pretty quick since then..
no surprise ...

If oil drops, more people will move away from pellets, right? Won't that increase supply and potentially lower prices for pellets!?

Pellets will probably just sit longer there is no pellet cartel just Mom and Pop. Oil has crept its way up as others have already stated.

Just wait until Cushing and the lease tanks and line fill are full by around the middle of April at the current production rate. This country is more ass deep in crude than it has been in 80 years.

Anybody want to rent out their swimming pool for crude storage? ;lol

Right and its Good to use your primary heat. I still get a cleaning and have contract that I pay every year with oil company if something breaks there here quick.

Of course I only use about a half a tank a year but this year I'm using more.

And to be honest nice to have even heat through out the whole house. But still love my stove. Nice to have options.

Cheers!
Key word in the last line is honest

This country is more ass deep in crude than it has been in 80 years
Bloomberg article yesterday had the tanks in the country at 64%, blaming Canadian crude holding as futures market looks better to sell latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.