Oil leak from back of P-68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlittle

Oct 25, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I noticed a small oil spot (about the size of a 50 cent piece) on the stone behind my P-68 yesterday (my stove has been installed for 1 month now). When I wipped it up with a white towel, the stain was a pinkish/red color. I called the dealer and they said it's probably nothing & that Harman may have juat overfilled the oil. I'm not too happy with that answer & thought you all may know what it could be or if there's a problem (A pic of my stove is attached).

Thanks so much,
Laurie

Attachments

• 100_1653.jpg
    100_1653.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 554
jimlittle said:
.....called the dealer and they said it's probably nothing & that Harman may have just overfilled the oil.

I'm not a P-68 owner, but I'll be very interested in hearing what the other owners have to say about that :)

Harman must have overfilled the oil huh?
Shmucks. Last I checked, pellet stoves
don't get filled with oil.

I don't have a Harman, but I do remember
when we unpacked our stove from the crate,
there was an oily film pretty much all over it.
I wiped it down and that was the end of it.

edit: I see you have had your stove for a little
while already so you probably have a different
issue.

Maybe I said that wrong "Overfilled the oil", but that's how they said it.
I thought maybe there was some type of lube they use in the factory and it may just be a bit that dripped, that I hadn't noticed before.
If they actually told me I'm a quart low, I think I'd have real problems and ask "Which car?"

Laurie

That's a very interesting comment from your dealer and I'm not that knowledgeable about stoves to speak with any smarts, but it sounds like their blowing you off.

Even though you explained it as a red/pink color, does it have the texture and smell of actual oil? My first thought would be moisture - perhaps some rain may have gotten down inside your vent pipe somehow?

I'd be curious to hear more answers on this one.

Steve

I also would be curious to what this turns out to be?

My thoughts at first are as you said...probably some grease or lube used on a moving/frictional parts. The problem would be then, in order for it to drip like that, something would have had to get very hot to turn the lube into liquid in order to drip. This may not be the situation at all, but I would request they come out and inspect it if you are unable to do it yourself. If something is getting that hot then you have a fire risk.

When I open the side of my MINI there is a half dollar size oil mark also, I just chalked it up to excess lube, since it hasn’t got any bigger.

I guess i could clean it up :)

Well, there's been a few more drops since last Sunday & I am having someone take a look at it. It is an oily texture, but no smell to it.
And it is pinkish/red. I'll see what they have to say.

Laurie

Attachments

• IMG00059-1.jpg
    IMG00059-1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 379
Firestarter,

I bought a Harman P61A2 this fall. I had the back shields off the stove the first week I was operating it while trying to track down a tiny smoke leak on the vent pipe,

During this first week I noticed a puddle of about a tablespoon of red oil (looked like transmission fluid) on the stove board at the back of the stove. A little closer inspection with a flashlight revealed the oil dripping from the room distribution blower on the back of the stove.

I mentioned it to the Harman dealer the next time I was in town. They looked puzzled and one of the service guys went over to a cabinet and carried over a similar blower. When he set it down on the desk he had some red oil on his fingers. “Like this” he said? The dealer called the Harman service dept, Harman will replace the blower under warranty. The fan has a ‘sealed’ bushing or bearing with an oil charge. Some seals must be better than others………

I don’t expect to hear from my dealer that the replacement is in until at least next week. It’s deer season in MN, not much business gets done during deer season unless it’s really important!

Thanks so much for that info, and I will check the blower. I am going to the dealer tomorrow with a sample of the oil and your info.

Thanks again,
Laurie

PS: I know about the deer season up there, I have a freind in Shakopee!

jimlittle said:
Thanks so much for that info, and I will check the blower. I am going to the dealer tomorrow with a sample of the oil and your info.

Thanks again,
Laurie

If your going to the dealer, why not call and see if they have one in stock, and bring yours with you.....after determining if the one the dealer has isn't leaking, you could do a swap and bring the new one back with you.

deepwds said:
Firestarter,

I bought a Harman P61A2 this fall. I had the back shields off the stove the first week I was operating it while trying to track down a tiny smoke leak on the vent pipe,

During this first week I noticed a puddle of about a tablespoon of red oil (looked like transmission fluid) on the stove board at the back of the stove. A little closer inspection with a flashlight revealed the oil dripping from the room distribution blower on the back of the stove.

I mentioned it to the Harman dealer the next time I was in town. They looked puzzled and one of the service guys went over to a cabinet and carried over a similar blower. When he set it down on the desk he had some red oil on his fingers. “Like this” he said? The dealer called the Harman service dept, Harman will replace the blower under warranty. The fan has a ‘sealed’ bushing or bearing with an oil charge. Some seals must be better than others………

I don’t expect to hear from my dealer that the replacement is in until at least next week. It’s deer season in MN, not much business gets done during deer season unless it’s really important!

You were so right! The service guy came out (with a blower) and as soon as he saw the oil he knew that it was distribution blower and that the oil was from the seal.
He stated that he has replaced 3 so far, but only on P-68's. He also said that they have informed Harman of the issue with the seal. They replaced the blower and life is good!

Thanks again for the heads up. This site is great, as I didn't know a whole lot about pellet stoves until I bought one a few months ago.
It's nice to be able to research questions I have on this forum before I talk to the dealer & now speak half way intelligently when I call them.
They weren't sure what the red oil was until I mentioned I think it may be from the seal on the blower.

You guys are great!
Laurie

deepwds said:
Firestarter,

We also have a P61A2 which we bought this Fall.
Love the stove except for the loud distribution blower.
Have not seen any oil yet but will keep an eye on it.
We will be getting a new blower installed shortly.

The motor on ours get very warm.
Does that sound right or is it a sign that the bearings are on their way out of Dodge??

Good thread!!
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.