Oil leaking from auger gearbox normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireglide93

Jan 29, 2015
East Hartford CT
5 month old Avalon AGP insert leaking oil from push auger motor gearbox area. Dealer says the leak is normal, they are overfilled sometimes at the factory. Is there any truth to this or is this bull? image.jpg

It's not oil, it's grease. It gets hot, liquifies and comes out because the gearcase is a cheap diecasting and don't seal very well and the output bushing don't fit the shaft tightly so it ooozes there too. Nothing to get concerned about really other than it should be opened up every couple years and repacked because the grease that is in there will get hard eventually and quit lubricating the gears and then the gearbox fails. Not just any grease (for a replenishment) a good quality white lithium based grease like Fisk Lubriplate.

I don't take mine apart anymore, I've fitted them with alemite fittings and relief holes but thats another story for another time.

In summation, they all weep a bit, nature of the beast.

Reactions: Fireglide93
That makes total logical sense, puts my mind at ease. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over the past couple of months. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.