Oil man cameth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Delivered 322.3 gallons of oil - $1176.07 :-/ Sure hope the Progress is on schedule, need that thing soonest! Then need to figure out how to operate it!!!

HollowHill said:
Delivered 322.3 gallons of oil - $1176.07 :-/ Sure hope the Progress is on schedule, need that thing soonest! Then need to figure out how to operate it!!!

At that price it would cost me $5,473.48 a winter to heat my home.

HollowHill said:

Ouch! The stove can't come soon enough for you!

BrowningBAR said:
HollowHill said:

And it costs me more than that to heat mine, which is why dh is willing to venture into wood heating. Even with the cost of the stove, install, and 10 cord of wood, we should see roi this season or early next season, we hope (she says with fingers crossed and clenched). And starting Friday, someone is coming to cut my tops, so I won't have to pay for next year's wood AND it will actually be seasoned a full year :cheese:

HollowHill said:
BrowningBAR said:
HollowHill said:

And it costs me more than that to heat mine, which is why dh is willing to venture into wood heating. Even with the cost of the stove, install, and 10 cord of wood, we should see roi this season or early next season, we hope (she says with fingers crossed and clenched). And starting Friday, someone is coming to cut my tops, so I won't have to pay for next year's wood AND it will actually be seasoned a full year :cheese:

Yeah, it turned out I could by a new stove every year AND purchase all of my wood and still come out ahead.

Just a second, need to do some math here. BRB

Your $1176.07 for oil has estimated to equal about 2.4 years of wood at what I paid this year. I wonder how far the
322 gallons would take you?

times like this is when it feels good to be a wood burner.

My Oslo heats my home said:

Your $1176.07 for oil has estimated to equal about 2.4 years of wood at what I paid this year. I wonder how far the

That's about a fifth of my year's supply of oil (heat and hot water), so if it lasted 2 months at this time of year, I'd be lucky.

That much oil would get me to December.

HollowHill said:

That's about a fifth of my year's supply of oil (heat and hot water), so if it lasted 2 months at this time of year, I'd be lucky.

When do you estimate your woodstove will be installed? Do you have a supply of dry wood for this season? After seeing that oil bill I hope you can burn this year.

HollowHill said:

When do you estimate your woodstove will be installed? Do you have a supply of dry wood for this season? After seeing that oil bill I hope you can burn this year.

If all goes as planned, Nov. 2 is install date. Have 10 cord of wood - 2 cord c/s/s since May 2010 and 8 cord c since Nov 2010 and s/s since May/June 2011 (not ideal, I know).

We were spending $500 every four and a half weeks on propane forced hot air and were still cold in the house. We kicked on our little resolute and burned what would be 4-5 cords/yr and our temps went up to almost comfortable. Our little resolute will soon be replaced with a more appropriate sized stove and again expected burn is 4-5 cords.

We had a yukon eagle oil/wood furnace and burned 4-5 cords and were either comfortable or hot with windows open.

IMHO, if you do it properly wood will always leave your wallet fatter in May. ;)

TK-421 said:
IMHO, if you do it properly wood will always leave your wallet fatter in May. ;)

I second that!!

What is the air-sealing and insulation of your homes? Good Lord! And size for that matter.

For some of you guys, it seems like it would be more cost effective to leave the thermostat at 55 or 60 and simply use small oil-filled radiator heaters for bedrooms.

I did that last winter, plus my stove most of the winter, and used about 150 gallons with poor air-sealing of the home. This year, the house has been insulated in a number of areas, I've had the entire exterior tyvek'd and 3/8" foam-boarded....so we'll see. The house seems to be a notable amount more evenly heated.

joefrompa said:
What is the air-sealing and insulation of your homes? Good Lord! And size for that matter.

For some of you guys, it seems like it would be more cost effective to leave the thermostat at 55 or 60 and simply use small oil-filled radiator heaters for bedrooms.

I did that last winter, plus my stove most of the winter, and used about 150 gallons with poor air-sealing of the home. This year, the house has been insulated in a number of areas, I've had the entire exterior tyvek'd and 3/8" foam-boarded....so we'll see. The house seems to be a notable amount more evenly heated.

Sometimes it seems like I live in a gigantic 2200 sq ft tent.

How much did it cost you to TyVek the home?

PapaDave said:
This is the kind of post that makes me glad I have a relatively small house (even if it DOES need more insulation), and burn wood.
$400/year works for me.

$960 a year for me now.

PapaDave said:
This is the kind of post that makes me glad I have a relatively small house
AMEN +1. I don't mind a house that fits us, isn't overly large and is almost heated around the clock with a F3CB. My gas heat comes on about 1 time a day in the middle of the night when i'm asleep and havent loaded the jotul. works out to about $75 a month for dec jan and feb of nat gas. i think this stove heats about 1500 sq ft just fine. may not be full time on wood but works great for us.

I'm slowing filling up my 2 tanks that equal about 600 gallons. I had 150 gallons delivered about 4 weeks ago and will most likely get another 300 gallons in a week or so. I've been watching the price of oil for at least 2 1/2 months now as the media reports were saying that prices would be dropping but I have yet to see that happen. I paid $ 3.34/gallon and that price has not budged in about 2 months. I plan on heating as much with wood as possible this coming season.

HollowHill said:

I'm with you on waiting for the Progress, but at least my Fireview will fill in until then. All I have to worry about is downtime to break the new stove in, and any nightmare new clearance requirements that could cause renovation delays and problems.

HollowHill said:

Got a delivery today (first since April)...143 gallons @ 3.50/gal. Looking forward to just a little cooler temps to justify starting the F600- although, it is supposed to get to the 30s next week I hear....

Lordy, HH, I hope you're good to go soon !!

At that price, it would cost me $4000 +, it's sitting @ $3.40 here right now for $200 gallons.

My first year at the new house we burned close to 1600 gallons. That was 2007-08 and oil hit almost $5/gallon. Since then I've installed a 2nd oil tank, replaced the boiler, raised the attic to r50, and installed an insert. Down to 911 gallons HW included. Hoping to break 800 this year.

btuser said:
My first year at the new house we burned close to 1600 gallons. That was 2007-08 and oil hit almost $5/gallon. Since then I've installed a 2nd oil tank, replaced the boiler, raised the attic to r50, and installed an insert. Down to 911 gallons HW included. Hoping to break 800 this year.

That's the year we bought the Vigilant. The sickness has maintained since.

My tank holds 330 gallons, so I guess I know about what I'll be paying when I fill up soon. In my case, I only use the oil for DHW (100% wood heat) - filled up a year ago as of next week, and still have a 1/4 tank left - so, I'm at a little less that your $ figure per year (at current prices). I hate oil. Cheers!

Can't say I have the disadvantage of heating oil but my house is a bear to heat with natural gas. I've never heated it higher than 62F during the day and 54-56F at night. Even then it's cold and IMO there's nothing worse than blowing dry air, I detest forced air heating.

This will be the first year for wood heating in the house, I've done it for three years in the garage. The house is particularly problematic because it's old and because it's solid masonry exterior walls, no framing. There's a brick exterior and a combo brick and tile inner wall and in the winter it's like a freezer and in the summer it's like an over. I'm hoping that the new Olympic will help to resolve these issues.

I replaced the 40yo Lennox furnace in 2008 but that barely made a difference in the expense, in fact the bills didn't change at all. So much for more comfort for less expense. And the attic is insulated to R48 too, but walls...well there's nothing.

I am confident that wood heating will be a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.