1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Oil Man P-O'd! Nyah-nyah...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by DAKSY, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    I haven't gotten a DROP of oil all winter. DAKSY's story reminds me of what my former oil company did. I paid up front for oil in summer to lock in the price. Well oil went up that year way up and they called me and said "well we can't honor that price even though you lived up to your end and paid us, we are going to stick it to you and charge you the going rate" So I am paraphrasing but you get the idea. I fired them right then and there, I would've paid $2 more a gallon for a company that was honest. You know Averill Park and EG aint that far away could've been the same oil company. Starts with a P end in an O. ...so I totally understand where he's coming from.
    DAKSY likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    My last fillup was 2 years ago. I still have a half tank. Ran the furnace a bit last year, only ran it for about 30 minutes this year just to make sure it would run if needed.

My oil man is a nice guy. Nothing personal against him, just against the price of the product he sells and the big oil companies in general.
  3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I stopped my auto delivery and went to an oil company that gives a discount for cash. Less oil now and a cheaper price too!
  4. russ79@hotmail.com

russ79@hotmail.com Member

Loc:
    saratoga, ny
    I can see my oil guys garage from my front porch and he is a great guy. However he brought me 100 gals 13 months ago and I still have over half left. I only use it for heat when its still too warm for pellets or back up when it very cold out.
  5. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    I chuckle every time I hear someone say that they have a hot water heater also. It's a water heater......
  6. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    Yup they wanted me to go to auto delivery this year after being a year with them when I got 125 gallons in December I told them we were getting a stove for alternative heat now after seeing what this stove does I may call them in July when the price is low
  7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Our second floor also doesn't get too warm, so we use electric heaters in a room and close the door. We also installed an electric water heater. I'm thinking it's more cost effective than the oil boiler.
  8. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

That's what I call going green$$$$$$$$$$$$
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    As far as the driver "just doing his job"...If you choose to work for a crook (Propane co. in my case) then you are an accomplice in my book!;)
  10. TLHinCanada

TLHinCanada Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Canada
    Had to get a minimum delivery (450 liters) for my other house in Oct.. The delivery man pumps in 600 liters. Up here the delivery man is a contractor he owns the truck. When I see the bill in the mail box I phone and tell them I'm not paying for the extra oil they tell me there going to pump it back out. The next week I get a notice that they have to inspect my oil tank and cannot deliver anymore oil. I phoned and told them I wanted to watch them pump the oil out (its still there). Be pretty funny to watch him try to get 30' of hose into the tank when I capped it inside. These are the same people that filled the tank and I ran out of oil a week later. The manager accused me of stealing the oil, turns out the delivery man filled up the house two doors down and gave me the bill. I'll change over to NG before I buy more oil.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  11. bill3rail

bill3rail Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    LI, NY
    December 21 2011 through December 24 2012, I used a total of 234 gallons of fuel oil.
    If my basement was warmer, I would be shutting off the oil burner every day. I am afraid of freezing pipes so I need an alternative means of heating the basement next.

If I find a cheap second pellet stove, I would consider putting it in the basement.

Bill
  12. bill3rail

bill3rail Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    LI, NY
    That is a nice long way to say pellet stove.

Bill
  13. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I only wish.
  14. JonSkow

JonSkow New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern, MA
    Got the message from the oil man yesterday. Actually my girlfriends aunt who works in the office. " your name came up in the office today because you haven't gotten filled in so long" she said. Well she is right. Last fill was November 12, 2012. I still have a half tank and currently have everything off because of the warm temperatures. It's a good feeling.
  15. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    Last year our oil man filled up our tank with 100 gallons in december (pre pellet stove)

we burned through that in 3 weeks leaving us 1/2 tank (100 gallons).

then we installed the pellet stove. every single month the oil man called to see if we needed oil. nope, we are fine. didn't want to pizz him off in case the pellet stove wasn't enough to heat the whole house.
  16. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Nice...I used to call and yell at the propane guy every time I got a bill. My goal was to piss him off!
  17. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    got my first oil delivery since having the stove. Oil man asked to come in and inspect the tanks as something may be wrong. took 50g
    mepellet likes this.
  18. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Same happened to me when I got my first stove. My oil company knows I have them yet they still come out and fill me up automatically. Last month....31 gallons. I think my oil filter may be getting clogged with a couple of stoves.
  19. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Wear and tear on driveway...
  20. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Also, a lot of companies raise the price for on-call delivery. My present company had been coming every month to top off with 20-25 gallons as well--and tacking on a two dollar delivery charge! I called them up to stretch it out to three months.

Yeah, go for it, DASKY!
  21. Jason Knapp

Jason Knapp Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    This is my 1st season with a pellet stove. NOTHING makes me happier than seeing the oil man drive by my house. I still have 200 gallons in the tank, and my last delivery was in August!!!
  22. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny

came this AM. This time 30g
  23. ChandlerR

ChandlerR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    Just got 100 gallons delivered today. I haven't used the furnace in four years although I do run it every once in a while. Last summer, *someone* rubbed against the thermostat, turning it all the way up and the furnace ran until it ran out of oil. I took everyones advice and put some oil in the tank last winter just to make sure the furnace would run. It did and I was happy. This year I replaced the tank filter and cleaned the screen on the Riello burner and looked inside to make sure everything looked good. I fired it up and ran it until the burner shut off on the water high limit. Went back upstairs and the house was WARM. It's off now and probably won't be used except for a run every now and then to keep it in shape. Oh, I will make sure the emergency switch gets shut off in the spring! I LOVE saving almost $2000 in oil a year!