Oil mix ratio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
All my 2 stroke tools say mix 50:1. The Stihls seem to run great and clean. But I just got an Echo leaf blower and the seller said use 40:1. The manual says 50:1, but this isn't the first time I've heard the recommendation to run at 40:1 and let er smoke.

I only use premium 2 stroke oil. So what the rule here? Is this smokey folk wisdom or does anyone have commercial experience where running the lower ratio mix has noticeably extended the life of their equipment? Do you run at manufacturer spec or run it smokey?

Personally, I run my two stroke tools a little oil rich for the first couple of tanks for break-in, then go to the mfr's recommended ratios. I figure they should know best what the tool needs for long term durability.

Corey

I run it all at 40:1 and use Moble1 2T Synthetic. Even tho the EPA has steped in on chansaws and now there at 50:1 , I'll keep the 40:1 in my stuff.
From everything i have read 50:1 will not hurt your newer engines and is OK to use but i like 40:1 and get no more smoke from 40;1 than does 50;1 that i have seen.

If i remember correct they did a poll on the Arborist site and 40:1 is also the most common used in chainsaws.

Also remember when mixing gas/oil and if you make a small error in the mix you could be at 45:1 or 55:1 , I would rather error at 45:1 than already be at max low mix of 50:1 and end up with 55:1.

There is only little difference of oil per gallon between 40:1 - 50:1.
40:1 : 3.2 oz oil / 1 gallon gas
50:1 : 2.56 oz oil/ 1 gallon gas

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 406
We have Echo weed wacker and when I stopped at the local dealer, he told me that I should use only echo oil mix in it at 40 to 1..I then asked about how this oil would work in my saw, told him the year and model and he thought it would run better..I bought a three pack to try..did not notice any difference...then I talked to a couple other people(2 were commercial lawn guys) who ran echo and they were running low end mix and no problems..went back to the original stuff that was 3 yrs ago, both run well today.

Its not on the side of being a turbo or even so much a super smooth running machine ........
Its about the piston , the ring(s) , cylinder walls & ware and also build up over time.

You could change your cars engine oil only every 10,000 miles and use cheap oil , likely you wouldn't notice a difference in how the engine was running in a short time, now many hours down the road is when all this will start to come back on you.

I have seen mid use engines on the inside and some look brand new and some look like there on there last leg with around the same hours on the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.