Oil price and service plans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello,
It would be my first winter in a new house with oil heat. How much do you pay for oil now? Do you lock the price? Do you sign an yearly agreement? Do you prefer one company over another? I am in southern MA. Thank you!!!!!

I'd shop around and talk to neighbors to find a few full service dealers with good overall reputations. Then make a few calls and decide who was best based current oil price and the availability/cost of contracts.

From what I've seen a full service dealer will cost at least an extra 10 cents per gallon or so than the discounters. But they will service your unit. I'd worry about a no-heat situation (which has occurred at my house a few times) unless you're tied in with a full service dealer. Dealers will generally service anyone's equipment but not as a priority. Also when things are busy dealers have to prioritize their service calls- no heat gets a higher priority than something like, "I hear a funny noise". I have never waited more than an hour or two when the burner was down (turned out to be a simple fix, but not something I'd want to handle without training).

I always get the service contract. It costs about $175/year but includes a cleaning that would be nearly $100. Cheap insurance IMHO.

Rate locks are a mixed bag. Last year people saved a bundle if they got a mid-summer lock rate. This year the peak price (so far) was late June so if you locked then you may have overpaid unless prices really take off from here. My dealer doesn't offer a rate lock - for what it's worth I would take it if they did.

OK, let's say I locked the price and signed an agreement. What if the price went down, would it be OK if I fill the tank in a middle of winter using somebody else who has lower $$, not my delivery/service company? Probably it' not very kosher, but is it legal?

depends on the company. Read your contract carefully. We have a clause in our contract that if you do that and dont even come close to sung your gallons that you reserved we can bill you for them even if you dont take delivery

4dimad said:
OK, let's say I locked the price and signed an agreement. What if the price went down, would it be OK if I fill the tank in a middle of winter using somebody else who has lower $$, not my delivery/service company? Probably it' not very kosher, but is it legal?

As the previous poster said it could be a breach of contract. That depends on what you signed.

Best case though it would be worse than "not Kosher". The dealer is probably pre-buying to protect himself and the customer. If many people bailed it would be a huge financial hit. These local dealers are not "Big Oil". They're small businesses.

Do you really want to consider screwing someone over to save a few bucks? If you want to shop for the absolute best price call around to the discount guys (and hope you don't need service during the dead of winter).

Status
Not open for further replies.