Oil prices and maybe a second stove??!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Wel, for all of you out there that burn opil/gas and wood at the same time, and with the increasing prices of the oil/gas, who is looking into adding a second stove to their setup? It has crossed my mind. My olympic does an excellent job in 3/4 of my entire house, but we do have an area that doesnt realy get the heat from the stove and we basically just block it off in the winter. Thinking about maybe a smaller stove in there..Just curious as to hearign what everyone has to say

I've been considering the same. Got a nice old sandstone block chimney with the firebox bricked in, currently with b-vent and a VC stardance LP stove in front. I thought about replacing the b-vent with SS flex liner, and installing a nice small wood burner - maybe 20,000 Btu or so. Too many projects...

truthfully, I am going to admit that I might look into a small pellet stove for this particular area.

I'm just going to cut a little more wood.... Our only heat is wood and no backup. Love it!

I cant do that. My pipes would freeze~!

I have a spare chimney in the garage that was for the wood furnace. Now that ist gone, I miss the warm gagage. Another thing Im mising is the the damp wood doesnt dry like it used to. I thoght next season I might get the smallest EPA stove i could find and run it once and a while. maybe one of those Elglander jobs from HD. But then again I hate HD and Lowes and Wall _ucks. Dont get myself going on that topic again. Whats a good small stove for a garage

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I cant do that. My pipes would freeze~!

Last time our pipes froze when when we went a while without wood heat!

We have a second family room type space that is typically 10 degrees cooler than the living room where the stove is. The cold room is large enough to be heated by another small heater when needed. It would be a small stove and must have some aesthetic value, open door burning would be desirable. My cordwood supply is cut to 18" for the main stove so it would need to be able to burn that wood which puts into some unique heaters.

I'm looking at the cast iron clad quadrafire units that are open door burnable, cast iron clad steel firebox, side door and can burn bigger wood. Other nice small stoves are the Jotul and Morso units but they need smaller wood.

Or, a pellet stove, but those stoves are so expensive.

I put a nice little stove in my workshop, which is in a separate building from our house. It's a Century Hearth FW240007, which I bought at Lowes. Had a mason build a hearth to raise the stove 12" (don't much like bending over any more than necessary), and to reduce the clearance behind the stove. When we had the building put up, I had them install a Class A chimney, so the setup was pretty easy. Not a big shop (~340 SQ. FT.), with a 4' open doorway to the two adjacent garages. That little stove does a fine job, burns nicely, glass stays clean better than the bigger Lopi in the house. I really love having it out there, because I spend a lot of time in the shop. The only PITA is keeping two stoves in two separate buildings burning all day every day (wife & I both retired), and all we get in Central Oregon are softwoods. Almost 7 full cords this season, which is finally (I hope) winding down. Started building up the inventory for next season. I like doing woodwork, but I'm getting a bit tired of this particular kind...could use a summer off. Rick

There are no bigger ones than the Olympic

I have a second chimney being installed in my Greatroom this Wednesday. I will heat that part of my house and the 2 bedrooms and office over the garage with the Englander 30 I got at lowes in January. I heat the main part of my house with my VC Resolute Acclaim. I use about 700 gal of oil and that is with burning one stove every night and weekend. I am hoping to cut down to 200 gal per year and basically use the boiler for DHW. The previous owners burned 1200 gal a year not using the stove. I knew that oil was going to go up, but I had no idea how much and boy am I glad I bought the stove and chimney set-up when I did.
I am going to have to figure out some good processes for dealing with 2x the wood and 2x the work and 2x the staorage for the new stove. It will be a learning curve and the 1st year will be a lot of lessons just like my first year in the house with my old stove. I have some neighbors who are going to cutting down some white and pitch pines and last year I would have passed on the wood as I am a New England wood snob with all of the Oak and Maple one could want, but with the oil prices and fuel prices going like they are I think I am going to turn into a "If it burns, and is safe, I will burn it guy" I go through about 3 cord with my one stove so I imagine I will go through 6-7 next year!

MMMMmmmm. The thought of tending another wood stove is very interesting, but my wife hasn't been very receptive to the idea. She thinks I am too obsessed with the one we have! Truthfully, I have been considering a pellet insert for the living room fireplace that has an outside chimney. We never use the fireplace and almost never use the room. The Quad in the family room is the center of attention. Still, the idea of a stove that would light itself if the house got too cold is interesting. I'm keeping my eyes open.

i keep thinking about adding a second stove in the basement because i use a very small insert now QF 2100i (small chimney in a ranch home) i just can't figure out a way to add another stove / larger stove on the main floor

I cant imagine that there would be a cost increase, as long as it is all up to code. However, after contemplating the cost of a second setup, I have decided to use the money on insulation, since I am in dire need ot it in 3/4 of my house!

Seriously considering adding a small to medium sized pellet stove to my basement and piping some of its output to the couple of rooms that just don't get good circulation off the living room wood stove. I can't stomach another $4000+ to get an additional stove installed (no existing chimney, so everything has to be plumbed up new), but just the woodstove I installed this year saved me an easy $2000 in oil this season by keeping the living room zone off (about 1/2-3/5 of my house's heated volume of air). The basement is a walkout and I have a heated slab that runs as its own zone...I think that area accounts for probably 20-30% of what I used this past winter since we had an awful lot of cold windy days and its our primary entryway in the winter.

Can you have two wood stoves running on the same chimney? I have a new outside masonery chimney with a stainless steel liner and a wood stove in the basement. It would be nice to have a firplace right above it on the main floor in the fasmily room.

my gut feeling is NO!

shawnmd said:
Can you have two wood stoves running on the same chimney? I have a new outside masonery chimney with a stainless steel liner and a wood stove in the basement. It would be nice to have a firplace right above it on the main floor in the fasmily room.

Check your local building codes for a definitive answer, but I think you can only use one masonry chimney if you have individual liners for each stove.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I cant imagine that there would be a cost increase, as long as it is all up to code. However, after contemplating the cost of a second setup, I have decided to use the money on insulation, since I am in dire need ot it in 3/4 of my house!

I had 3 wood stoves installed when I moved in to my place and had no issues with the insurance folks. I do not know where folks have issues with stoves and insurance, but if you do, get a new insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.