Oil prices dropping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if HHO goes to $2 Gal. here, i will get another 100 Gal to add the the quarter tank we have.
but that will remain as emergency back up, as we have a forced air furnace and it's just not efficient enough to make it worthwhile.
i get pellets at $215 to $229 (should have waited on my SiB buy this year) and the oil burner just doesn't provide real comfort in our house the way our stove does.

Oil at 2.19 in my area of MA. I ordered three tons of Okies the first week of August from South Shore Wood Pellets and am still waiting for delivery! Not exactly in a rush given the "low" cost of oil. If the oil price remains static, I will have leftovers. I think if this trends holds, the pellet companies will have to adjust their prices.

If you didn't have to clean the darn stove constantly it would make more sense to stay with the pellets. There is no savings with oil at $1.85. I will get ready to burn and if oil spikes I will load the truck at HD and burn at that point. I have a feeling there will be no shortage this year. I will run a fireplace loop on the wide screen if I want to look at flames.

Last edited:
If you din't have to clean the darn stove constantly it would make more sense to stay with the pellets. There is no savings with oil at $1.85. I will get ready to burn and if oil spikes I will load the truck and burn at that point. I have a feeling there will be no shortage this year. I will run a fireplace loop on the wide screen if I want to look at flames.

For me there is no savings at $2.49 So even if oil goes up .30 in my area, I would still be better off with oil. As you said, that doesn't even include the ritualistic cleaning and lugging of pellets.

I'm burning right now because I only need to keep the living room warm, the rest of the house doesn't need heat yet, but as soon as I need the whole house heated the stove will be off until oil prices rise. It will actually be nice not to have to clean and lug pellets for a few month.... I'll see how it goes. I'm not a mathematician but when I bought the stove oil prices were hovering around $3.89 a gallon and pellets were MUCH cheaper. I'm not sure when pellets will become the cheaper choice but I know at $1.89 oil is the way to go right now.

First time in my life I have ever wished I had an oil burner.

Reactions: Pellet-King
Just filled a new Roth tank I installed at home $2.04 in South East PA. Gonna rip out the tank in basement. New ones outside. Wondering if I should move it out as well and fill it up at this price. New Osburn Matrix installed and stocked with sticks. Was hoping to not use a whole tank this year. Let the maple and cherry save me cash. Think it's worth just using as a storage tank for later? Or ditch the tank and make a Smoker out of it

Wholesale price coming into the port in New Haven is $1.52 a gallon. My 275 gallon tank is topped with $1.60 a gallon HHO from August. In the New Haven area I am hearing current prices of around $1.70-$1.80 a gallon. Keep in mind fellow CT residents if you live near the port the prices are much lower as they don't have to transport if far.
OIl.jpg

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/energy/energyprice/ct_heating_oil_wholesale_prices.pdf

Reactions: Pellet-King
Oil's gone up alot this week, over $5 a barrel, heating oil prices have risen to almost $2 a gallon from $1.69 week ago, if this keep's up be back to burning pellets by thanksgiving

Yeah it was $1.80 last week before I ordered. It's why I rushed to fill my tank up. Makes me angry I waited to long. Hear people saying Pellet Stoves should be dropping in price because oil was cheap. Have found that to be very in true. $265 a ton at TSC and HD

My Oil Tank is Full @1.74 a gal if it continues to stay there we just might be using Oil this year or at least to some degree more than last year! five ton of pellets in the cellar so only time will tell ! If pricing holds next year pellets better be CHEAP!

Oil price jumped. 10 on Friday when I went to order. I have 1/4, so I'll wait for another dip. I refuse to pay over $2 a gal!

Of course the price will fluctuate a bit over time. Normal activity.
I agree.
But let's not forget how fast it came down so drastically....
It's possible the inverse could happen the same way.
No crystal balls in my house.....

Dan

Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.