Q&A Oil Stove efficiency -older model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I don't know if this can be answered. But, I am hoping for help. I searched your archives and your forum and I have spent hours looking on the internet for answers but have found nothing. We bought an old home (60+yrs) in Virginia. It has in the kitchen, a Duo-therm oil stove. It is model #712-6. It stands about 4 ft tall. It connects to a brick chimney and this chimney runs directly through the center of the house (approx. 1600sq.ft.) The only information I have been able to find is regarding Duo-therm for RV's. We are seriously thinking of switching out to a wood stove next year. Wood is much cheaper and easier for us to obtain. But, I cannot find any information on the Duo-therm, to even make reasonable comparisons as to their efficiency, etc. If you know of any information, or somewhere I can get it from, I would be most appreciative.

Answer:

Other than possibly some of the antique dealers at https://www.hearth.com/partsplace.html, you may not be able to find much info on your product. Here's how I would figure things.

1. The stove is probably 50% efficient
2. Oil contains 140,000 BTU per gallon.
By doing the math, if you unit uses 1/2 gallon per hour, it is burning at 70,000 BTU input and 35,000 output. You can correct this for the actual usage of your unit.
Hope this helps.

Link: Parts Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.