oil tank addititive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Is there any heating oil additive that can be added to an underground oil tank to preserve the heating oil. Like stabilizer does for gasoline engines.
I've had about 50 gallons laying on the bottom all winter.

I have used Rescue 911 Diesel additive.

The best thing would be to keep the tank full to minimize condensation.

Most additives are made up of a form of alcohol (often methyl hydrate) and a bunch of "fillers". The alcohol joins with the water and allows it to stratisfy in the fuel instead of sitting at the bottom of the tank. It then flows through the fuel system.

So in other words you want to be careful with that as having too much water mixed with the fuel would certainly be a bad thing.

The FPPF product line is good quality. Power Service is too. Your biggest problem is having the tank with such a small amount of fuel in it. Doesn't sound like you use it at all. If it's been in the ground for 10 or 15 years have you considered getting rid of it and putting in a small new one above ground ? Summer, Holiday weekends are great times for family project like these.

I'd like to keep it filled but that would cost a small forturne
It's a 540 gallon tank buried for 30 years. I probably should dig it up and install a small above ground.

Unless you know an excavator contractor shop prices. When some guys hear underground tank they see $$$$. Then there are others that it's just another day. I would guess that it's a 1,500 to 3,000 job including back fill.
There are some new tanks out there that have double wall construction and are rectangular so they stand up in a corner with out taking up a lot of room.
Rob

Or just rent a small excavator and DIY. Around here they cost about $300/day.

It's a little more complicated back East. I can only speak for MA law's but you can't start driving your freshly dug up oil tank to the scrap yard. The 2 that I've had done were wiped clean, pressure washed and wiped again. Loaded on trailer and had dry ice dumped in them. Then taken to the scrap yard.
Also if there is any record of your existing tank it would be good to have it documented that it was removed and what condition it was in when removed. If you ever decide to move...
Just saying....

Status
Not open for further replies.