Oil Usage vs Pellet Usage Vs Square Footage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy1971

Jul 10, 2008
Orange County NY
I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding oil usage vs pellet usage. But I would like some input from the seasoned pellet stove users out there. Could you please list the following:

Square Footage of House:
Amount of Oil Used Before Pellet Stove Installation (Gal.):
Amount of Pellets Used During Heating Season (Ton):
Amount of Oil Used After Pellet Stove Installation (Gal):

And I know the numbers have many factors (i.e., insulation, passive solar heat, color of the moon ;) , etc....). I just want some numbers to see what individuals results have been.

I got no experience but here is what I came up with. I got an old 1876 Victorian house. Insulation pertty good, storm windows and the like. About 2200 square feet with 10 foot ceilings. I took all that and threw it away. My stove will burn 5 lbs per hour on high power according to the manual. That's one 40 lb bag every 8 hours or 3 bags per day max. See where I'm going with this???? 6 tons equals full power for 100 days. Then I asked myself if I needed full power for 100 days....... After googling some temp info for my town I concluded that at 6 tons I was good to go........ I hope.......

I think posts like this are great for newbies to get a feel for how much pellets they will need.

House:
2,000 sqft (two story colonial)
built 1927, insulated in 1970s (ie insulation is ok, but not up to modern standards)
indoor temp was 66 (pre stove)

Oil usage for a typical winter (pre-stove) was 900 gallons a winter

post stove:
pellets used: 5 tons
Oil usage (mostly as a supplement in jan /feb) = 250 gallons

2100 square foot cape with finished basement.
Insulation = Above Average (good)
Harman P61A in the basement
St Croix Hastings on the main floor
No heat upstairs on the top floor (electric, but we don't use it)
We use zero oil and about 200 gallons LP for heating the water and running one small rinnai space heater.

Stove rooms are 72...coldest area of the house (top floor bathroom) runs 64 degrees. 400 Square foot great room adjacent to the hastings st croix room runs about 66 degrees. I use 2 small cpu fans and a ceiling fan to move the heat around on the main floor.

Pellet usage between the 2 stoves = 5 Tons

MKMH I read your comments about utilizing CPU fans to help move the warm air around on your main level and the concept seems to make sense to me. Perhaps you can go into some detail about what CPU fans you would recommend, placement and mounting, and how you would suggest powering them.
Thanks

Additional input would be nice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.