Oil vs. pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to pull up a post from two weeks ago, but just getting back to the forum. An on-demand electric water heater pulls an incredible amontt of energy when it's needed, so even running the cable is a chore. If possible, NG or propane better for on demand systems. May I propose a heat pump style hot water heater if you're going electric? It takes heat from the surrounding air and uses it to heat hot water, very efficiently. We installed one last year and are thrilled with it. Removes excess heat from the house in the summer, and in winter our pellet stoves are producing plenty of heat, and we certainly don't notice the "heat loss" from the air. Amd if demand is high (e.g., guests all taking showers, etc), they have an electric heating element just like a regular electric water heater.
I installed a GE Hybrid, Water Heater 2 yr's ago, cost me $199 after rebates, so I dont care if it stop's working have the electric coil to use, really never saw my electric bill go down, also I've noticed the fan when in heat pump mode is alot quieter than it used to be, I cleaned the filter once when the alarm came on

Just to back up exactly what Pellet-King stated. I too installed a rebate friendly electric Rheem Marathon HW heater I bought from my local Electric coop because it was the cat's meow and was supposed to have all of these savings, benefits, and Being Green. Yeah, right!

Maybe if it came in a "green"color instead of the gray. Point is I have observed no benefit other than it is an all plastic unit so no rusty tank down the road. The only energy benefit I see is when my OWB Woodmaster 5500 is fired and I then get "free" hot water. Unlimited too, but I am on a well so that is not like taking a 30 minute long hot shower at a hotel like my two girls like to do daily.

Bottom line is that I have not experienced ANY reductions on electric use either since I installed it. Many of these programs are simply feel good gimmicks IMHO. Solar is the way to go BUT it can not be mastered yet. It's getting better but not totally figured out nor is it more cost effective and convenient overall.

Problem is with old battery technologies and storage principles. My friend Dan is a solar guru and yes he practices what he preaches but he will be the first to say it really isn'e feasible because of the battery issues. His company is Sun Harvesters. Maybe a franchise but never the less it is pasted all over his vans he now uses for mid evil construction work.

Most of his work is domestic hot water and it's awesome in the summer and pool heating. He does do complete systems but doesn't have a 100% on his own home yet because he doesn't want to "camp out" year round nor live at a home steading commune. Is it worth the expense when you can buy a solar type pool cover for chump change? He was busy for a minute and now he is back to being a carpenter. Fact

Last edited:
Nissan was showing off a truck that had a hydrogen electric system and was pairing it to a parabolic concentrator to produce your own hydrogen. Would have been cheaper to produce than a regular truck and no emissions unless you think water is one. If electric rates were high in peak time you could have plugged your house to it. 2005. Someone found a liquid that would absorb hydrogen like acetone does acetylene gas. Guess who would not like loosing revenue!?

Yes Sir. It's big business and big government officials in their back pockets hampering reasonable sustainable progress and things that make way better sense. Check out the Saturn electric cars way back when two decades ago they only leased them so they could retrieve and crush them.

Not saying they had it all figured out then but now why are we currently re-inventing those wheels? I don't care if one prefers to ride the blue donkey or the red elephants at election time. Both are moronic. Point is all of the liars are blowing big business and we aren't getting any reach around. It's all about the money on both teams. They win. We lose. BS!

Guess what will happen when hydrogen takes off in cars. Insurance will sky rocket because of wet roads. Doesn't matter now with rain and snow but those water drops will. I hate politicians (all of them, I'm an EOE kind of guy so no discrimination there) and greedy big biz. It's killing us in many ways. Anyway piss on the politics have "fun" and enjoy being *****.

I just try to cover myself for when they come running with the big biz and regulations hard ons they bounce off. It's still no fun dodging those. And we pay for this amusement park thrill ride. Something is very, very WRONG with that IMO. But who am I?

Reactions: Peterfield
Solar now uses inverters not batteries which I last saw 5 yr's ago, I use 750-1100 KWH per month they can maybe offer 750kwh a month, so after paying them $75 a month for the next 20 yrs and still have to pay Electric co not really saving anything.

Reactions: Peterfield
At present, the only green benefit is the green these technologies earn for a well positioned few. Why do you think businesses donate millions of dollars to political campaigns? Here's a hint, it not civic duty.

I'm slightly ammused by folks who insist on burning pellets when oil is actually cheaper in their situation. I cant' remember any "I love to burn oil..." folks back in 2013 when oil was 3.80 gal.

I'm slightly ammused by folks who insist on burning pellets when oil is actually cheaper in their situation. I cant' remember any "I love to burn oil..." folks back in 2013 when oil was 3.80 gal.
Maybe because you can't see the pretty flame in an oil burner, nor can you go stand beside one and get instantly warm when you've just been outside in the -18F winter weather.

I got no skin in that game - don't burn oil for anything, so it makes no never mind to me what the price is.

Edit: Well, I do burn an oil mixture in my chainsaw, so that previous statement wasn't entirely factual - LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Cory S

I'm amused at the people that wait for 13 cars in a line at Dunkin Donuts, to by a $2.50 cup of coffee
when you can make one at home for 25¢.......
I'm amused at the people that still change their oil at 3000 miles.
Or fill their car up with high test.
Amused at people that pay $65 for a steak.

If you bought $1,000 worth of oil,today pellets would cost you about $1,120. ($1.95/$259)
So the difference is about +$120...
Probly what it cost to have your annual oil burner cleaning/servicing.
I don't have oil, so that's just a guess.
So the difference isn't "that" much...
Maybe some people just like feeding a fire?
Doesn't it all boil down to what a person wants?

I've seen so many comments here calling people nutz for burning pellets.
Why not just go to an oil forum and talk about oil?

A lot of folks have their head in the sand about the cost of oil. Yes these people exist. Hopefully this thread makes people evaluate if they want to burn pellets.

I'm excited to burn pellets this year.... If my FHA furnace was oil fired however, I can guarantee you I would be filling the tank to the top @ 1.89/gallon and using a combination of both... My current FHA furnace is a 90% efficient LP gas unit, and LP suppliers are still raping homeowners in this area for $2.59-2.79/gallon.......

Reactions: stillersnut
can't see the pretty flame in an oil burner, nor can you go stand beside one and get instantly warm
You've never experienced a Jungers oil stove. Seigler made a couple of models too. No noise(or electricity)when used. Glass viewing window to see a blue flame off the top of glowing red vaporizers. I grew up with one in the kitchen of the old farm house. Usually had a soup pot going and a tea kettle on the back for instant hot water.

Reactions: bogieb
still raping homeowners in this area for $2.59-2.79/gallon
I would drop a line to someone at the state level to see why so high as the EIA stated Monday the country is at a 22 year high storage of LP

I would drop a line to someone at the state level to see why so high as the EIA stated Monday the country is at a 22 year high storage of LP
NH is the worst in New England... My neighbor works for an oil/propane company and he just told me their cost is a mind boiling $1.03/gallon right now.... The mark up is absolutely ridiculous...

NH is the worst in New England... My neighbor works for an oil/propane company and he just told me their cost is a mind boiling $1.03/gallon right now.... The mark up is absolutely ridiculous...

All that price gouging in the oil industry. When do people get smart and start burning pellets. ;lol

Reactions: killie11
Maybe because you can't see the pretty flame in an oil burner, nor can you go stand beside one and get instantly warm when you've just been outside in the -18F winter weather.

I got no skin in that game - don't burn oil for anything, so it makes no never mind to me what the price is.

Edit: Well, I do burn an oil mixture in my chainsaw, so that previous statement wasn't entirely factual - LOL

Pretty flame??
You want pretty flames, burn wood or coal.
Pellets are like looking at a blow torch..
Just sayin...LOL

Last edited:
If you want natural log like flames, check out the Hestia. It has a 8 plus inch by 3.5 inch burn tray. Throw on some corn and might even get some snap, crackle and pop.

Pretty flame??
Judt sayin...LOL
It's the Tim Taylor version of a pretty flame. More power!
giphy.gif

Reactions: olmec and bogieb
Pretty flame??
Judt sayin...LOL

I happen to like both (have a wood burning background). Heck, I could probably gaze at a blowtorch for an hour or so :ZZZ

Reactions: killie11
I remember when I was in the Army, I saw on a tag on a field jacket that said the wearer shouldn't get too close to a heater for fear of it catching on fire and you not feeling it: at first, lol. I imagine the scenario they had in mind would be when your back was to the fire.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
You can't smile watching your grandkids warm up to an oil burner either,
after they've been playing outside..

Can't blow dry your hair (as I did this morning) or dry clothes on a rack in a normally damp basement (as I did last night). Or cook dinner in a boiler (doing sweet taters tonight). Now if the P61a would just balance my checkbook :cool:

Can't blow dry your hair (as I did this morning) or dry clothes on a rack in a normally damp basement (as I did last night). Or cook dinner in a boiler (doing sweet taters tonight). Now if the P61a would just balance my checkbook :cool:
Hey bogieb you continued that baked potato routine we played with last year, cool !! I had forgotten about it. Won't be burning a whole lot of pellets this year but when we do I must remember that . Made some good ones last year in the P61 ! Right now I have 0 pellets and haven't run any heat as yet. last year I think we fired up right about now for round one..

Status
Not open for further replies.