OIL!@

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, received my regular monthly fillup. Only used 33 gallons this past month..So, the 35 gallons that they filled up yesterday coast me $137.50!!! yeah, thats $3.92/gallon!!!!!

3.92 a gallon!!!! it is going to be a very busy spring getting our wood in for next year so we wont have to pay $4.92 a gallon next year.

Thankful I locked in at 2.40/gallon last year. I bet I wont come close to that this year!!!

yup..Its a good thing that I burn wood 90% of the time!

Ouch, that is lucky your burning wood. I got my NG bill for 60 bucks last month. That includes the gas stove, dryer, and water heater. Guess I used 30 bucks in NG last month. Its easy to feel good about the savings now, not so much fun when your bucking the wood in summer!!!

Local oil service here is $4 plus delivery and tax. why tax i dunno but they charge it. Again i say; oil stinks

Guess i should mention thats K-1 not fuel oil

I haven`t seen logging truck loads of firewood advertised around here for years. And as I stated in an earlier post,when you see firewood for sale in the local paper you have to jump on it quick. All I have been able to buy around here is csd or rounds for quite some time now.

Sadly my supplier that I had been buying from for years brought me my last cord back in mid-feb. Old age and health problems has forced him to hang up the chainsaw. The thought of not being able to purchase wood and having to burn oil makes me shudder. Last oil delivery back in Dec. was $1.10 a litre. ouch!!

Makes my smile even wider whenever I look at my 5+year supply of cut, split and stacked firewood. I'm sitting on a gold mine almost!

Backwoods Savage said:
Makes my smile even wider whenever I look at my 5+year supply of cut, split and stacked firewood. I'm sitting on a gold mine almost!

In 5 years wood will probably be $ 400/cord. Damn near a gold mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got an oil delivery of $4.08 per gallon end of last week. The crap they call diesel fuel is $4.25 a gollon. Even the soy based bio diesel is heading up. This load we are trying some palm based bio diesel, we will see how it works. It'll be fun!!

If this keeps up we're going to be looking at cold showers..(LOL)
On the serious side, I hope no one has missed the fact that the reason the cost for oil/gas has risen so quickly is that our benevolent government in DC has frittered away the value of the American Dollar. No sense in getting into the details, but its pretty obvious that last years dollar purchased more oil than this year's dollar. And, this years dollar is worth a whole lot less versus the currencies of other countries that we compete with in purchasing this and other commodities.

Keep cutting your wood, this old USA is in it deep and there isn't a lot of light on the horizon.

I've had the oil furnace on about 30 minutes total this winter. The 250 gal tank is still almost full and hope to keep it that way for a few years. That makes me wonder - will the oil be ok sitting around? I have another 4 years of wood in the shed and I have a couple of sources for some free wood. I'm going to get all I can before I have to start buying it.

bcnu said:
I've had the oil furnace on about 30 minutes total this winter. The 250 gal tank is still almost full and hope to keep it that way for a few years. That makes me wonder - will the oil be ok sitting around? I have another 4 years of wood in the shed and I have a couple of sources for some free wood. I'm going to get all I can before I have to start buying it.

Everybody will have different views on storage but even with a good stabilizer I wouldn't store distillate (heating oil, diesel, etc.) more than two years.

wood is a re-newable resource...good thing

A lady that I work called her oil company today to inquire about pre-buy and lock in prices for oil next year. They said that they weren't ready yet but to expect prices as high as $5 a gallon!!! The average household in Maine uses 700 gal of oil per year. that is $3500 a year!!! $291 a month!!! That is more than some pay for a car payment. I am very scared. If I didn't burn wood My home would require about 1500 gal of oil per year to heat and provide water. $7500 a year, $625 a month. The mortgage on my first house I bought 8 years ago was $625!!! I don't remember the oil stuff from the seventies but it must have felt similar to now. I am having the Englander 30 installed next week and I am going to hoard wood like it is a big mac in ethiopia. I won't feel comfortable until I am 3 years ahead. What the frick is happening? I just filled up my diesel Jetta with $4.14 a gallon? This summer it was $2.99??? These prices are killing me. It wouldnt be bad to have 100% increases if we were getting 100% annual raise but the last I checked it was normally 3%.

OIL!!!

Is the reason I just bought my stove this winter.
I had some service done on the boiler and a fill up in Feb and it was $700!!

I am anxiously awaiting the bill for March to see how much less oil I used.
Wood is good.

Tom

We got a delivery on Thursday. $1.0690 $CAD/Liter which is $3.9406 $USD/gallon. Tank was bellow empty so the total came to just about 840 $CAD or 817 $USD. Ouch, and it was last filled the start of January. This should add more incentive to getting the chimney fixed and insert installed this summer.

Kevin.

We got a delivery on Thursday. $1.0690 $CAD/Liter which is $3.9406 $USD/gallon. Tank was bellow empty so the total came to just about 840 $CAD or 817 $USD. Ouch, and it was last filled the start of January. This should add more incentive to getting the chimney fixed and insert installed this summer.

Kevin.

michaelthomas said:
A lady that I work called her oil company today to inquire about pre-buy and lock in prices for oil next year. They said that they weren't ready yet but to expect prices as high as $5 a gallon!!! The average household in Maine uses 700 gal of oil per year. that is $3500 a year!!! $291 a month!!! That is more than some pay for a car payment. I am very scared. If I didn't burn wood My home would require about 1500 gal of oil per year to heat and provide water. $7500 a year, $625 a month. The mortgage on my first house I bought 8 years ago was $625!!! I don't remember the oil stuff from the seventies but it must have felt similar to now. I am having the Englander 30 installed next week and I am going to hoard wood like it is a big mac in ethiopia. I won't feel comfortable until I am 3 years ahead. What the frick is happening? I just filled up my diesel Jetta with $4.14 a gallon? This summer it was $2.99??? These prices are killing me. It wouldnt be bad to have 100% increases if we were getting 100% annual raise but the last I checked it was normally 3%.

Just before our marriage (many moons ago paleface) we bought a home....furnished right down to dishes and silverware! Total price was $7500!!!!!!! Fuel oil at that time was $.12 per gallon.

Sure makes me feel rich when I look at our wood pile.

reaperman said:
Where the heck is NAFTA in all of this? I was in Mexico last week. On road diesel, $2 per gallon.

In some countries where the government owns the dinosaur wine the prices are kept low to keep the citizens happy. Want cheap gas. Move.

Saudi Arabia $0.91
Kuwait $0.78
Egypt $0.65
Nigeria $0.38
Venezuela $0.12

Eleven years ago, I bought the house that we now live in. It's very well insulated and was heated by electric heat. I paid $16K to put in an oil-fired heating system. Now I regret disconnecting the electric heating system. I think electric is probably about half the cost of oil.

I am very glad that I put in the insert and learned how to heat with wood. Maybe I'll need to add another insert for the basement.

Dan

ControlFreak said:
Eleven years ago, I bought the house that we now live in. It's very well insulated and was heated by electric heat. I paid $16K to put in an oil-fired heating system. Now I regret disconnecting the electric heating system. I think electric is probably about half the cost of oil.

I am very glad that I put in the insert and learned how to heat with wood. Maybe I'll need to add another insert for the basement.

Dan

Hey Dan,
Here in Carver we have Nstar for our electric utility and it is very expensive.. From what I understand they are one the most expensive in the country..We pay about $200.00 per month and we do not heat with electricity! We do have an electric range and dryer and 6 people here so that may be a factor.. 95% of my lights are compact fluorescent so I have have pretty much done what I can.. Where in Mass. are you located? Do you have municipal power?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.