Oiling exhaust fan on Whitfield Advantage IIT...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mobil one is a good oil.

Now, lets not get all worked up about the oil we use catching fire in the stove.

The two little oilite bushing dont hold enough oil to drown a Mosquito :)

The real issue here is that whatever oil is used be resistant to "COKING" or turning into a gummy goop or a hard coal like substance and thus loosing its lubricity.

Most any oil that has a temp rating of 400F or more and a viscosity of around 20W will work fine.

The oil used does not need a lot of special additives that we would use in an internal combustion simply because there are no real contaminants being introduced here.

Two little Oilite (Sintered bronze) bushings that are in a fairly clean environment.

Goal is to keep the oil in a liquid state and capable of lubricating is all.

These motors usually have a cooling fan between the HOT side impeller and the first bearing/bushing. This fan keeps the area reasonably cool.

The only real issue is the heat conducted up the shaft from the hot exhaust gases.

Personally, the 3 in 1 blue, Mobil one or just about any good lighter weight motor oil is going to do the job fine.

Lube the thing as mentioned in the book and dont lose a lot of sleep over those two little bushings.

As was mentioned previously, one person had not lubed their motor in 12 years.

Bet me that a goodly number of stove motors never get lubed AT ALL, and run the life of the stove just fine.

Myself, I like to hedge my bet a little bit and do the service work, just to make sure.

Probably the best oil you could use would be the High temp aircraft turbine oil, but the stuff is not a hardware store item.

Enough for now.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.