oily substance underneath versa grate motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kserr

Oct 23, 2008
western Ma
I'm a new user of a St. Croix EXP.We took the side panel off the stove to view the versa grate motor and saw a little bit of oil or grease underneath the tiny little motor. It was moving and seems to be working fine but should I be concerned for future problems? All I can think of is when a car leaks oil its usually a seal.. :-/

Pretty sure this part is "lubed" at the factory, so I would not be concerned about it. You may be seeing some "spill-over" from that.
I hit mine every year with some anti-seize, as per the manual. Might want to make a point of checking it in a month or so, but I would not be worried about it.

kserr said:
I'm a new user of a St. Croix EXP.
We took the side panel off the stove to view the versa grate motor and saw
a little bit of oil or grease underneath the tiny little motor.......... should I
be concerned for future problems?

Again, no worries here either. Mine too has a tiny oil spot under the motor.
There are a few little things in there that get lubrication as mkmh said.

Thanks for the reassurance I'll keep my eye on it. Also does anyone have the customer service number for StCroix? I can't find it on the website or in my owners manual. Also do they speak English? Or am I patched over to India :coolgrin:

Shut the door and enjoy the heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.