OK, another Ram full of this...ID needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Hi Guys, this is the second pick up this week, I'm sure it is nothing like the Honey Locust that I scored the other day, but I would like to know what I'm burning so that I know whether to burn it inside or outside. This Time I have 2 species, a left and right, the left looks better than the right, both were super easy to split, I have a feeling that these have been down trees for some time. The one on the right has bark like a star, kind of pointy and large, the one on the left is kind of salmon in color in the middle, flakey bark. Thanks for all of your help, I am one step closer to renting the splitter for the day, eventually I may need a wood shed, but that is for another time.....

Hi Guys, this is the second pick up this week, I'm sure it is nothing like the Honey Locust that I scored the other day, but I would like to know what I'm burning so that I know whether to burn it inside or outside. This Time I have 2 species, a left and right, the left looks better than the right, both were super easy to split, I have a feeling that these have been down trees for some time. The one on the right has bark like a star, kind of pointy and large, the one on the left is kind of salmon in color in the middle, flakey bark. Thanks for all of your help, I am one step closer to renting the splitter for the day, eventually I may need a wood shed, but that is for another time.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: Thistle
black cherry on the left, black locust on the right......without a doubt.
Black locust and honey locust look NOTHING alike, but have very similar burning qualities. The grain of the wood is similar, as are the leaves.....but the bark and color of the wood is totally different....

Great score there, my friend!!

What he said......

Reactions: ScotO
+ 1....Cherry and locust....what we call wild cherry around these parts. Nice score.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Wow, I was thinking this stuff was not too good because it was not heavy for the size and split like butter, does that still make sense? Like I said, something tells me they were down for awhile, some pieces the bark started to rot. There is more there, worth the trip to get? They were cut into 26-34 in pieces, I cut them up with ease after I sharpened my echo saw. Then I ran my finger through blades and still feels shArp, so it didn't hurt my saw at all, that is why I didn't think the stuff on the right was good. Thanks for any input all.

Wow and one piece hd some sap coming out, kinda like my maple tree that came down

Wow, I was thinking this stuff was not too good because it was not heavy for the size and split like butter, does that still make sense? Like I said, something tells me they were down for awhile, some pieces the bark started to rot. There is more there, worth the trip to get? They were cut into 26-34 in pieces, I cut them up with ease after I sharpened my echo saw. Then I ran my finger through blades and still feels shArp, so it didn't hurt my saw at all, that is why I didn't think the stuff on the right was good. Thanks for any input all.

Black locust is about the finest firewood for heat value that grows in NJ, cherry has less heat value but is about the best smelling wood you can burn. Go back and take the locust first but don't pass up on the cherry if you still have space.

Great, thank you all for your vast knowledge.....

Yep, Black Locust and Cherry, get all you can haul....

Scotty got it!

Even the cherry I love to burn, I burn a lot if it. That is the majority of what I have burned the last two years. Save the locust for really cold nights and burn the cherry in the day.

Definitely cherry and BL. The cherry will be ready to burn first.

I went back and got this, alittle cherry, alotta black locust, there is one more truckload available, is it worth the trip? Thank you all for your reponses, I appreciate your feed back....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 137
I went back and got this, alittle cherry, alotta black locust, there is one more truckload available, is it worth the trip? Thank you all for your reponses, I appreciate your feed back....

YES

Grab all of both that you can haul & make room for..............

I almost broke a nut picking up those 3 big ones, I think there are 3 more that size
Just leave the wood there, Ram.......give me the address.
I'll be out your way next month, I'll stop by and take it off your hands for ya!!:p;)

Seriously, do what Paul said. use a 2x6 or 2x8 for a ramp and roll them up into your truck if you can't lift 'em.....whatever you do, DON'T YOU LET THAT LOCUST GET AWAY!! That is cardinal NO-NO here if you plan on joining the FHC (Firewood Hoarder's Club).....:eek:

Just leave the wood there, Ram.......give me the address.
I'll be out your way next month, I'll stop by and take it off your hands for ya!!:p;)

Seriously, do what Paul said. use a 2x6 or 2x8 for a ramp and roll them up into your truck if you can't lift 'em.....whatever you do, DON'T YOU LET THAT LOCUST GET AWAY!! That is cardinal NO-NO here if you plan on joining the FHC (Firewood Hoarder's Club).....:eek:
Ha..... Nut is intact so far, my ram is very high, I was able to get them up, with sleep tonight and a glass of milk, I will be ready to go...lol, I'm gonna stop there in morning on way to work and get those 3-4 pieces, thanks for all your help, this will save me from buying an expensive cord that I previously planned for. My supply s growing.

That first picture with the thick bark is Locust ???.....I spotted something like this lying in someones side yard....been down all year, about 30 foot long and straight, pass it every day.....I thought it was Willow, or some other type of low BTU wood....maybe I should stop by and help the guy clear his yard:cool:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.