ok buying a woodstove insert which one pe summit or regency i3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i also looked at the hampton but ists so expensive
i have 3000 sq ft plus to heat if anyone has any other suggestions feel free

Buy the one with the largest firebox, thats a lot of area to try to heat!

burntime said:
Buy the one with the largest firebox, thats a lot of area to try to heat!

that would be either a Buck stove or Blaze King 4.25 cu ft firebox

do you know anyone with a blaze or buck stove? i am wondering how they perform those numbers are almost unbelievable

Can the whole house really be heated from the fireplace area?
Is it newer (tight) construction?
Do you have access to large quantities of wood?

These and other questions must be asked and answered before you choose a stove. It might sound strange, but the size of a stove should match the size of your woodpile - meaning a big stove consumes bigger piles, so if you are going to burn 3 cords a year, you might as well burn it in a 3 cubic foot firebox - or smaller, but if you are going to burn whatever it takes..then the larger box is nice.

the house was built in the 60s but the guy built it like a fortress it probably isn't as tight a 2007 nc but its not that drafty
it is a brick faced split level the whole 3000 the stove won't have to heat but a large portion of it . if i puti t in my living room it would probably do better than ptting it in my basement
i would post a pic of my house but don't know how
it won't let me not allowed

OK, well...of course heat will not go down, so forget about heating anything under the fireplace level. You have to look at the house layout - and get a realistic idea of how much area might be heated. Where exactly are you located? Maybe Harley or I are your neighbors.

Also, as mentioned before, consider how you are going to use the stove - are you going to really burn 24/7 from Nov. to April? If so, you want a stove with long burn times...and decent sized box. But if you are going to use most evenings and weekends and during cold spells, something more in the medium size (2.5 cubic feet) may be the ticket.

Blaze king rep is a member here why not PM him and drag him into the discussion Karen Duke was a member here Victoria fireplace in VA sells buck stoves

Webmaster said:
OK, well...of course heat will not go down, so forget about heating anything under the fireplace level. You have to look at the house layout - and get a realistic idea of how much area might be heated. Where exactly are you located? Maybe Harley or I are your neighbors.

Also, as mentioned before, consider how you are going to use the stove - are you going to really burn 24/7 from Nov. to April? If so, you want a stove with long burn times...and decent sized box. But if you are going to use most evenings and weekends and during cold spells, something more in the medium size (2.5 cubic feet) may be the ticket.

i am 5 fives out from springfield ( be careful going in there)
i will try to burn it as much as possible but for sure evening s and weekedns when i am home
i would like to burn 24/7 but it depends on how well she takes to it.. lol

i know heat won't go down but where my fireplace is in the basement makes for easy air travel upstairs
however i think i will get more out of it by putting it upstairs and then next year get one for the basement

If you got sticker shock from the hampton, wait till you see the tag on the Blaze King not to mention the 8" chimney.

I would still like to see one of them bad boys in person, and witness a 40hr burn. How many btu/hr is that.... 4.5cuft divided by 40hrs???

Hmm. 4.5 cubic feet = 90 pounds of wood times 7,000 btus = 630,000 divided by 40 equals 15,750 btus. Does that sound right? 18,000 btus is you 8,000 btus a pound.

Iceman;Regency or Pe,you'll be getting a top-notch stove.I run a Regency F2400 in a 2000' home: it works real well, but I'd love to try out a PE with its'E.B.T.,maybe it would let me sleep in longer without relighting? %-P

elkimmeg said:
Blaze king rep is a member here why not PM him and drag him into the discussion Karen Duke was a member here Victoria fireplace in VA sells buck stoves
I think the Blaze King rep like my self is probably tired of having to justify every thing about these stoves when there's nothing else more to say. THEY WORK They are a truly air tight catalytic stove. The long burns are a controlled low BTU out put. They do not have runaways!!! If you look @ the heat output between the princess and the classic king there is not much heat out put difference.
The larger of the two has more exposed surface area therefore gives off more heat, holds more wood, therefore burns longer.If you don't like the 8" stack the princess has a 6" if that helps with something existing in your home. Pine alone the fast burning wood every body here calls it, gives the princess 16-18hrs of good honest burn on low. A good insulated home 2140sq ft 2 levels @ 32F outside stove set on low ,located in Bsmnt =78f downstairs 73 f up stairs. This is as real world figures as your going to get. :)

Hey... when you went into look at the Regency & Hampton Wood Inserts. Did you notice that they are running a promotion right now...

When you buy the insert you get the blower for free; the blower for the Hampton is worth over $400 for the plain black and $500 for the enamel. I just bought the F2400 Regency Medium Wood Stove (its being installed this weekend) and got the blower for free, i couldnt' resist.

Just a thought.. happy measuring!

Status
Not open for further replies.