ok, dumb question, why does my fireplace have 2 openings at the top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
i have my insert running 24/7 now.
i see smoke only coming out of one of the two chimney peaks/caps, i understand that there is only one pipe going up the chimney, so what is the other one for?
i have never been to the top of my chimney, so im not sure if it is merely cosmetic or if it serves a greater purpose.
thanks

Santa Claus?

Jake said:
water heater / furnace stack?
Ditto, that would be my guess. Could be a common vent for both, or if you have put in new high efficient appliances that vent using PVC, it may have been abandoned all together. My sons chimney has two stacks, one for the fire place, now an insert with a SS liner, and the other is for the furnace/hot water heater. Look at your furnace and hot water heater and see where the vent.

Jake said:
water heater / furnace stack?

DURRRH *smacks my forehead*
how did i not realize this.
the water heater is right below my fireplace.
thanks for clarifying my curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.