Ok, got $1500 for a splitter, now which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I looked into building one and found no savings.
After looking online for hours now i am stumped on what splitter to get.
All we have here is pine, so no need for a monster but would like at least a 20 ton.
I do most of the splitting myself so an auto return valve would be nice.
I am also 6ft4 so a taller machine would save the back. I have looked at the MTD, Troy Built, Earthquake, Iron & oak, and Ariens models.
I do about 5-6 chords a year. Thanks for any recommendations. I have about $1500 budgeted for a splitter.

With all the new threads on the tsc one I going with troy built! lol (not really funny) There alot to pick from out there. We run a tsc company one side by side on sundays. The husky is a little quicker on the smaller stuff and the troy built faster in the big wood.

No doubt I would recommend the unit that my 1500 went to; Husky 28 Ton. Honda motor, strong machine. I think they may have just gone up in price though, but you can swing a discount if you work the right angle.

Just a F.Y.I., and for price comparison, the MTD group builds the same splitter for MTD, Troy Built, and White Outdoors. Just different colors/stickers.

I have an electric Earthquake 5 tonner. After a year or so, I haven't had any problems with it, but it does have its limits, but it's also a 5 ton "toy" I use to re-split, the larger ones.

Thats kind of what i thought Pj.
Thanks!

PJF1313 said:
Just a F.Y.I., and for price comparison, the MTD group builds the same splitter for MTD, Troy Built, and White Outdoors. Just different colors/stickers.

I have an electric Earthquake 5 tonner. After a year or so, I haven't had any problems with it, but it does have its limits, but it's also a 5 ton "toy" I use to re-split, the larger ones.

Theres more difference then just stickers...We run a 22 ton husky side by side with a 27 troy built! Every Week.

smokinjay said:
PJF1313 said:

Theres more difference then just stickers...We run a 22 ton husky side by side with a 27 troy built! Every Week.

Jay - apples -> oranges ?! Husky to MTD group?

The T.B. is just a MTD dressed in black and red.
All I know, in '06 we got 2 splitter at work - 1 T.B., 1 White O.D. Everything is the same, except for the colors, and owners/parts manual "Headings." Same part #'s, same specs, same engines (B&S), same dealer. NOT the same abuse! :-S (for better or worse)

Huskee 22-ton is $100 off this coming week around here.

Current Huskee 28-ton has a longer cycle time than the 22- or 35-ton models. That Honda engine on the Huskee 28-ton is a GC (not the commercial GX). IMO, it's really no better than than the Briggs engine of the same class, except maybe quieter.

TB is okay, but I like the higher beam and in-beam log cradle of the Huskee better for the way I like to split. The log catcher on the TB also tends to bend if a stub catches on the end, and the TB dislodger is not as beefy as the Huskee/SpeeCo. Cycle times can be longer, too, for the TB

The disadvantage of the Huskee/SpeeCo models is that they are a lot more tongue heavy than others like Brave/I&O. They did have a problem with the hollow toe plate bending, but they have returned to the solid toe. The other disadvantage is that the final assembling at TSC is hit or miss, depending on the competence of the employees at TSC. A plus is that Huskee/SpeeCo customer service is excellent.

Make sure to see both the TB and Huskee in person to judge for yourself before you buy. Also, if you're spending $1500, look at the Brave offerings.

Personally, I think the Huskee/SpeeCo is the best value splitter out there.

PJF1313 said:
smokinjay said:
PJF1313 said:

Jay - apples -> oranges ?! Husky to MTD group?

The T.B. is just a MTD dressed in black and red.
All I know, in '06 we got 2 splitter at work - 1 T.B., 1 White O.D. Everything is the same, except for the colors, and owners/parts manual "Headings." Same part #'s, same specs, same engines (B&S), same dealer. NOT the same abuse! :-S (for better or worse)

We run a husky side by side with the tb every week...There is many differences as there are woods coming in. Tb wins on the big rounds and loses on the smaller round. Control lever is nicer on the troy buit and I like the beam of the husky. Now with that said in a 4-5 hour run there will be no clear winner......22 vs 27 its a draw on speed. Unless your going to have one kinda of wood going all the time Thats not going to happen. OP Looking at 1500.00 and under so there in the same class for him, But its not just a sticker swap!

A bit over your budget, but a really good value is the Huskee 35-ton with a 10% off coupon (or new cc account discount). It keeps its speed by rarely needing to use the second stage of the pump.

TreePointer said:
That Honda engine on the Huskee 28-ton is a GC (not the commercial GX). IMO, it's really no better than than the Briggs engine of the same class, except maybe quieter.

+1, a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this. The GC & GX series are completely different animals.

peterc38 said:
TreePointer said:
That Honda engine on the Huskee 28-ton is a GC (not the commercial GX). IMO, it's really no better than than the Briggs engine of the same class, except maybe quieter.

+1, a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this. The GC & GX series are completely different animals.

We are running the 6.5 b and s up against the honda 5.5 this also seems to be a draw the honda has more grunt on the big rounds and quicker to get there but seems slower when you dont need the extra power.

Iron-Oak is the top of the line.
Rental outfits here rent them & get good long service.
I went Speeco 22T. $1400 here in Alaska.
Go kick the tires on some & see the different features.
I liked the speeco for the cradle beam, & end mount on the ram. Look better built the Troy (MTD)
& others I looked at.
I like the Electrics but shipping killed them for my situation & less portable but quieter ( but I rarely ever haul the splitter from my yard)

if i had 1500 to spend id get the ariens 27 ton. nice design, usa made, and has a subaru robin engine to boot.

Alright! thanks for all the replies!
I am very interested in the Northern Hydraulics splitter, but the $400 shipping is a bit of a deal breaker.
I have also started (once again) looking at building my own. Seems i can build a top of the line one for the price of a middle of the road store bought.
My Dad has a welding shop with any size I beam i would need. I don't know so many choices.

I added everything i would need to buy to a cart at Northern.com. Honda 200cc GX, 7 gallon hydro tank, 3000psi cylinder, 16gpm 2 stage pump, auto return valve, hoses, hitch, wheels and tires. I added 100 for misc. $1303.00 including shipping. Am i forgetting something? I think the only advantage of building my own would be setting it up to fit myself. I am a bigger guy so would like a nice tall working surface. Also would like heavy duty log cradles and overall beefy construction. My dad and i overbuild everything so i am sure it would be a beast. I will kick around all options and decide what to do. Like i said way too many options.

Thanks again for the replies!

Make sure to look at the line of log splitters from Ramsplitters. Take a look at their 20tons they have a HV and just a V. These are top of the line splitters with high quality motors. Look on our site below or the link at the top of the page as we sponsor the site as well.

bfunk13 said:
Alright! thanks for all the replies!
I am very interested in the Northern Hydraulics splitter, but the $400 shipping is a bit of a deal breaker.
I have also started (once again) looking at building my own. Seems i can build a top of the line one for the price of a middle of the road store bought.
My Dad has a welding shop with any size I beam i would need. I don't know so many choices.

I added everything i would need to buy to a cart at Northern.com. Honda 200cc GX, 7 gallon hydro tank, 3000psi cylinder, 16gpm 2 stage pump, auto return valve, hoses, hitch, wheels and tires. I added 100 for misc. $1303.00 including shipping. Am i forgetting something? I think the only advantage of building my own would be setting it up to fit myself. I am a bigger guy so would like a nice tall working surface. Also would like heavy duty log cradles and overall beefy construction. My dad and i overbuild everything so i am sure it would be a beast. I will kick around all options and decide what to do. Like i said way too many options.

Thanks again for the replies!

If you make your own, you can go with top of the line pumps, valves & rams. I thought about
it, but lots of time & thought & work. I was going to rent one & copy the parts.
Next I though about buying a used broken one & beefing it up & replaced pump & valve etc.
Ended up I bought a refurbished one, & started splitting wood. To me, it was cheaper
in the long run & if I have a problem, I'll upgrade the problem parts as needed.
Buy one & put on 15" trailer tires & wheels, it'll be taller & ready to go. & tow better. IMO ;)
If you build I've heard some good reviews on the Honda clones, lots cheaper.
engines at Harbor freight, Honda clones. "Greyhound"
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=greyhound

If you are willing to go Greyhound, I'd suggest you just get the HF splitter and be done with it.

30 ton splitter is $1699 right now. Less an easy to find 20% off coupon. Plus $89 shipping = $1450. (I think it was $899 + 9 shipping when I got one 6.5 years ago :-(.)

I imagine the beam, wedge, trailer coupler, and cutting/welding time add up to more than $150. I would spend the remaining $50 on the Northern Tool 20GPM return hydraulic filter assembly and extra filter. Its a nicely cast assembly with a Filtration Products filter that doesn't leak as opposed to whatever garbage ships on the HF splitters.

Six cords a year is not a lot for a hydraulic splitter. A cord is no more than 4 hours running time on the splitter. After the HF one wears out in 600 hours (25 years), then you can rebuild it with better components.

I gotta be honest with ya, if i had $1700 bucks it would not go to a HF product.
I am sure it would do the job for years to come, there are some things i will buy from them.
And some things i stay far away from.

might want to check out this site, prices are pretty good and free shipping. The owner has posted on this board a few times

I prefer the iron%oak splitters
http://www.woodsplittersdirect.com/

Thanks Elder!

Hi Everyone,

I try to read the boards when possible but its tough to keep up on all the threads on all the forums. Plus I try not to inject my self into the log splitter debates to much. They can get interesting :) I have talked to quite a few of you here on the forum, feel free to call me anytime with question you might have. Absolutely no sales pressure.

Mike

I do buy stuff from HF, was in there this morning. I tend to focus on things that I will not use a lot, easier than renting, for a similar sum.

I would not spend that much on a HF Splitter, I would expect you would have to pay Sales Tax as well.

I know nothing more about Woodsplitters than having just clicked on their link, seems you could get a nice one from them for the same money or the same spec for not much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.