OK, here we go!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xraycer

Nov 2, 2011
Pelham NH
Okay, forcasting low temps in the teens this weekend for my area(S. NH). Lets see what my Englander 25EP can do. I've installed it 4wks ago and haven't used any propane since in my 2 storied 2500s/f colonial. Now comes the first big test.

Also got my first visit from the propane people since May. Typically a 250gal refill each visit, this visit.........180gal! Savings of nearly $180!

My Harman Accentra has the lower level at 72!!! Gotta love it and it 's only been running since 8:00 this AM.

I installed my 25 EP the second week of November. I'm 3 bags short of burning 1/2 ton. No problems so far. I'm on propane also and am looking forward to downsizing from a 1000 gallon propane tank to 500.

Waterbug said:
I installed my 25 EP the second week of November. I'm 3 bags short of burning 1/2 ton. No problems so far. I'm on propane also and am looking forward to downsizing from a 1000 gallon propane tank to 500.

3rd week of Nov for me and reached 25th bag as of today. Both floors of house has been between 70-73 degrees on 2-3 feed rate using mainly Geneva pellets. Tried 4 bags of Fireside pellet last week and found that it outperformed the Genevas, so picked up another 20 bags today. Wished I knew this before I purchased the 3 tons of Genevas, would of saved $129 and gotten better performing pellets. Oh, well. Will probably splurge on some Okies($6/bag) at some point to see what everybody is raving about.

Also have a EP. Im in mass. Burned almost a ton so far, but I like it above 70. It's been almost 80 a few times. Anyway, this is my second EP. First one was a lemon, and I was stuck with a ton of Potomac which is complete crap. Tonight I am burning a sample of Cheshire Pellets. They are not rated by Pellet Institute, just made at an independants' mill. So far so good. More heat than stove chow, and on par with Vermonts...... (on par with Vermonts should be taken lightly, as I only have a sample and plan to burn through the night on them)

IMO though, the EP may be the best Englander but nothing like an Enviro or Harmon. Still wishing I spent twice the money to keep my house warm, NOT!!!!!!!! Lol.

Been amazingly warm in Mass so far this season. Even today was like springtime. No test at all yet for the stoves, which is fine by me. Been a cheap 'winter'. But it can change pretty much instantly.

bd911 said:
Also have a EP. Im in mass. Burned almost a ton so far, but I like it above 70. It's been almost 80 a few times. Anyway, this is my second EP. First one was a lemon, and I was stuck with a ton of Potomac which is complete crap. Tonight I am burning a sample of Cheshire Pellets. They are not rated by Pellet Institute, just made at an independants' mill. So far so good. More heat than stove chow, and on par with Vermonts...... (on par with Vermonts should be taken lightly, as I only have a sample and plan to burn through the night on them)

IMO though, the EP may be the best Englander but nothing like an Enviro or Harmon. Still wishing I spent twice the money to keep my house warm, NOT!!!!!!!! Lol.

I almost got the Harmon Accentra originally, but rated at 1600s/f I just didn't feel confident that it could heat my house (+cathedral ceiling). The salesman felt otherwise. I decided on the EP after reading the positive feedback s on this forum. I figured if it failed then it was easier swallowing $1700 than $3500. So far, I am loving this stove!

Where did you get those Cheshire pellets and how much $?

SXIPro said:
Been amazingly warm in Mass so far this season. Even today was like springtime. No test at all yet for the stoves, which is fine by me. Been a cheap 'winter'. But it can change pretty much instantly.

Should be more seasonable this weekend (at least where I am): highs 30, lows upper teens

xraycer said:
SXIPro said:

Should be more seasonable this weekend (at least where I am): highs 30, lows upper teens

Good luck with your stove this weekend.

My Astoria heated the house fine last year at -6 degrees but I had to use the High Setting # 6 thats 5.5 lbs per hour!! Still better than OIL or Propane!!! Nice and toasty and warmer too!!!

Hello

Wow, It will be a very cold weekend here in NH. See 5 Day Forecast pic below!!

Lows in the teens next three nights!!

Attachments

• 5dayforecast12162011.jpg
    5dayforecast12162011.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 784
GrahamInVa said:
Where is our fellow Alaskan? He would laugh at these temps.

I'm not even from Alaska and I laugh at those temperatures.

Snowing here at the moment and the ground is white.

Eatonpcat said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
GrahamInVa said:
Where is our fellow Alaskan? He would laugh at these temps.

I'm not even from Alaska and I laugh at those temperatures.

Snowing here at the moment and the ground is white.

You need to worry if the snow is not white!!!! %-P
We have 2 dogs! Our snow, in places, is yellow!
Reminds me of that Frank Zappa song.......

So stay warm everyone and enjoy the savings and the sound of the propane/oil truck passing you by!!

xraycer said:

I got them from Cheshire Pellet in Fitzwilliam, NH on rt 12 south. These two bags were free for me to try out. He let me tour the mill and take a look at all the equipment. Nice guy! He sells them for $5 bag and $240 ton.

I started burning them last night6:30pm. added another 1/2 bag to the hopper at about 5:00am. Its been 25-35 outside and 77 inside. Good pellet so far. When I finish with these two bags and the stove cools I'll check the pot for any hard ash or clinkers. If I find neither of those I will buy a ton from Cheshire. The heat is really good out of these pellets.

bd911 said:
xraycer said:

I got them from Cheshire Pellet in Fitzwilliam, NH on rt 12 south. These two bags were free for me to try out. He let me tour the mill and take a look at all the equipment. Nice guy! He sells them for $5 bag and $240 ton.

I started burning them last night6:30pm. added another 1/2 bag to the hopper at about 5:00am. Its been 25-35 outside and 77 inside. Good pellet so far. When I finish with these two bags and the stove cools I'll check the pot for any hard ash or clinkers. If I find neither of those I will buy a ton from Cheshire. The heat is really good out of these pellets.

Looking forward to your feedback on these local pellets. I like the fact that they're burning hot.

(this post belongs in a couple different threads so please excuse my redundancy) Cheshire Pellets- the good, the bad, and the drinks involved:
Cheshire Pelletsl:
The Pros:
-Very good heat. Tremendous Heat. Better than chow and paralelled Vermonts in terms of keeping my house warm on a cold night (20's)
-Free sample to try.
-The best pellets are free pellets
-Very little ash in the ash pan

The Cons:
-Dirty, several hard deposits of black carbon-like ash in burnpot(clinkers?) after 2 full days running(please keep in mind that my stove has no agitator and this is fairly typically for most pellets in my stove. Although, I have honed in on several brands that this doesn't happen with, such as chow and vermonts) Although the stove ran steady this "pile-up" is a negative factor for maintainence reasons, and left without attention would eventual exstinguish the flame or cause low heat output)
-Dusty. Fines. To the point that the auger is consumed with saw dust, thus reducing the feed rate

So will I buy more? Prob not. Not at the current prices. THis would be a killer pellet at 3.75 bag, but at 5 I will save my money.

Thanks Jason for the opportunity to try you pellet!

To others with more sophisticated stoves I would reccomend this pellet. If you have a multi fuel, then this pellet is for you. Anything with an agitator should chew this pellet up with more than average heat output.

Thanks for the review. Yeah, hard clinker is a deal killer. Too bad, since it burned so hot. Maybe this review will get them to strive to improve their product in the future.

Back on topic. My area dropped to a low of 17* last night and the EP kept the house at 69*-70*. Burned Fireside pellets at 3feed/7blower. Very happy customer!

xraycer said:
bd911 said:

I almost got the Harmon Accentra originally, but rated at 1600s/f I just didn't feel confident that it could heat my house (+cathedral ceiling). The salesman felt otherwise. I decided on the EP after reading the positive feedback s on this forum. I figured if it failed then it was easier swallowing $1700 than $3500. So far, I am loving this stove!

hey guys just wondering what your cleaning schedule is for the EP, as i also have an EP and its my second year with it and i love it so far, i clean mine (including, vac ash, scrape pot, brush tubes, clean window) every 3 days or so, and i also vac the hopper and auger trough the hopper about once a week, then after each ton i clean all that i mentioned and add cleaning of outside tee and vent with brush, the two ash collection traps behinde the fake brick and take the baffle out and clean it good along with all the air tubes. Then after season i take back of stove apart and vacum the blowers and inside the back of stove. My biggest Pet peeves of the stove so far is when i shut it down after 3 nights of running the ash is all piled up on the door and when i open the door it goes all over the floor, Do you guys have that problem. I usally run it on 2-2 and only run it on 4-4 0r 3-3 when it reaches the teens. I only had one slight problem when the augur was sqweeling a times last season every times it turned, when i got it fixed they said there was a piece of rough metal on the auger that was rubbing every time it turned so they grinded it smooth and so far it has been running quiet again ...i would like to hear some of your experiances

pauly2110 said:
hey guys just wondering what your cleaning schedule is for the EP, as i also have an EP and its my second year with it and i love it so far, i clean mine (including, vac ash, scrape pot, brush tubes, clean window) every 3 days or so, and i also vac the hopper and auger trough the hopper about once a week, then after each ton i clean all that i mentioned and add cleaning of outside tee and vent with brush, the two ash collection traps behinde the fake brick and take the baffle out and clean it good along with all the air tubes. Then after season i take back of stove apart and vacum the blowers and inside the back of stove. My biggest Pet peeves of the stove so far is when i shut it down after 3 nights of running the ash is all piled up on the door and when i open the door it goes all over the floor, Do you guys have that problem. I usally run it on 2-2 and only run it on 4-4 0r 3-3 when it reaches the teens. I only had one slight problem when the augur was sqweeling a times last season every times it turned, when i got it fixed they said there was a piece of rough metal on the auger that was rubbing every time it turned so they grinded it smooth and so far it has been running quiet again ...i would like to hear some of your experiances

I'm a bit anal, but I do a quick ash cleaning daily. Vacuum/sweep out ashes, scrape burn pot, and usually wipe the glass during this 8 minute process. Once a week, I'll do a bit more extensive cleaning. In regards to the ash on the glass, I lay out a towel in front of the stove prior to opening the door. Then after the cleaning, I just roll up the towel and take it outside and do a few hard shakes. No biggie. Why do you set the blower so low? My blower is typically at least 2-3 settings greater than my feed rate.

pauly2110 said:

I installed a 25-EP this summer. Really liking it so far. I do a quick clean, scrape burn pot, dump ash pan, vac it all out about every 5-6 bags. Sometimes I have to dump the ash pan before then, depending on what I am burning. After 10-12 bags I do the same cleaning but clean out the inspection ports and vac out heat exchanger. I vac/sift all my pellets so I haven't vacuumed out the hopper yet.

After burning 1 ton I figure I will do the leaf blower deal. Then a full teardown in the spring.

I get the ash dropping on the floor too when I open the door. I just don't open it until I am ready to clean.

My auger started squealing every so often too. I dumped a little powered graphite in the hopper and it hasn't come back yet.

I run mine normally on 2-3 and sometime 3-5 at night when it gets cold. There is a big difference in heat from 2 to 3.

My room fan will kick up to max pretty frequently when I run 3+ heat range. I have been working with Mike H and Englander on a fix for this. Hopefully they will figure it out soon. It is kind of annoying and I don't believe the stove is "too hot". I did add a washer under the thermocoupler and also loosened the screw which has helped a little.

Hello

Have you guys seen this?
That 25-EP is a nice stove for the money. :)

Finally I can run the stove 24/7! It's 17 out now and the stove is on 3 putting along keeping the house at 70 degrees. Burning the Cubex and lovin' it! Haven't run the stove enough for a cleaning yet but by next weekend we'll be ready.

Chan

GrahamInVa said:
pauly2110 said:

I installed a 25-EP this summer. Really liking it so far. I do a quick clean, scrape burn pot, dump ash pan, vac it all out about every 5-6 bags. Sometimes I have to dump the ash pan before then, depending on what I am burning. After 10-12 bags I do the same cleaning but clean out the inspection ports and vac out heat exchanger. I vac/sift all my pellets so I haven't vacuumed out the hopper yet.

After burning 1 ton I figure I will do the leaf blower deal. Then a full teardown in the spring.

I get the ash dropping on the floor too when I open the door. I just don't open it until I am ready to clean.

My auger started squealing every so often too. I dumped a little powered graphite in the hopper and it hasn't come back yet.

I run mine normally on 2-3 and sometime 3-5 at night when it gets cold. There is a big difference in heat from 2 to 3.

My room fan will kick up to max pretty frequently when I run 3+ heat range. I have been working with Mike H and Englander on a fix for this. Hopefully they will figure it out soon. It is kind of annoying and I don't believe the stove is "too hot". I did add a washer under the thermocoupler and also loosened the screw which has helped a little.

Cut out a piece of cardboard to fit under the door to catch the ash. When I go to clean the stove I place the cardboard on the front lip. Turn the stove On then right off to get the combustion fan running then open the door. I scrape the burn pot using a metal shovel from my grill. Then pick up the plate and spoon out the intake. Then using a 6" taping knife I scrape the insides and glass real quick. Then close the door and hit start. I use a bread bag to cover my hand and arm. Works better then gloves... Then I fill the hopper and turn the stove back on.
That morning process takes less than 10 minutes. I use a small broom and dust pan to clean what ever spilt onto the cardboard. One of these days I'll make it out of sheet metal. Of course it's been 4 years and I've only lit one on fire...
I usually only have to do a full cleaning once a week. Thats when I get out the pot scrubber. I don't shop vac it until it is full emptied out. Full cleaning = 20 minutes.
Once every ton or so I have to pull the stove out and clean the pipe...
If I don't do that after about 2.5 tons the top auger will stop. I have the back plate off so I can vac it out real quick and keep an eye on every thing. Good thing I don't have cats.
4th season and haven't had to replace anything.
The Harman P38 is another story...

Attachments

• 25 cardboard.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 353
superchips said:
GrahamInVa said:
pauly2110 said:

I'm Pretty sure the 25EP only has one auger unlike the other model they make

Cut out a piece of cardboard to fit under the door to catch the ash. When I go to clean the stove I place the cardboard on the front lip. Turn the stove On then right off to get the combustion fan running then open the door. I scrape the burn pot using a metal shovel from my grill. Then pick up the plate and spoon out the intake. Then using a 6" taping knife I scrape the insides and glass real quick. Then close the door and hit start. I use a bread bag to cover my hand and arm. Works better then gloves... Then I fill the hopper and turn the stove back on.
That morning process takes less than 10 minutes. I use a small broom and dust pan to clean what ever spilt onto the cardboard. One of these days I'll make it out of sheet metal. Of course it's been 4 years and I've only lit one on fire...
I usually only have to do a full cleaning once a week. Thats when I get out the pot scrubber. I don't shop vac it until it is full emptied out. Full cleaning = 20 minutes.
Once every ton or so I have to pull the stove out and clean the pipe...
If I don't do that after about 2.5 tons the top auger will stop. I have the back plate off so I can vac it out real quick and keep an eye on every thing. Good thing I don't have cats.
4th season and haven't had to replace anything.
The Harman P38 is another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.