OK, I am stumped! Massive CL "firewood" find.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What wood you do with the goant stump?

• Burn it out with a propane torch (and 1,000 gallons of propane)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rip the 3rd member off your truck trying to pull it out

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Carve it into a black bear and her cubs

• Carve it into a pair of lawn chairs

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Use it as a display stand for your collection of garden gnomes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Post it on CL for the next 20 years and hope someone removes it

• Watch it rot ever so slowly

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

OK, this is from a CL ad today in Oregon. Which has me wondering how on earth does one get a stump this size cut into a giant block this size? Considering it is a mass of burl... I dunno what type of wood it is. Which is another thing I am stumped about. I would guess western red cedar by the size and color. I have had a go at some large multi-trunk cedar stumps around here and they are REALLY hard on chainsaws and chains. Not just from the grit and dirt, but the grain. You would think a softer wood like cedar would be easy to cut, but no way Jose. Even when they are green these things are really tough muthers. This is likely rock hard. It also could be something like black oak (my ex has several black oaks on her property that are 5 feet DBH).

Scotty, are you game? Maybe use a Stihl cutoff saw? Or a water cooled diamond saw? Think of all the 'seasoned' firewood in there! This is a solid 1/4 cord block of wood! _g

stump.jpg

We have a stump we would love to get cut to ground level. It is 23" tall and about 4' in diameter. There is a surprising amount of firewood in it. My husband cut on it some last year, but still has a long ways to go.

I don't burn goant in either of my stoves.

garden gnomes

Reactions: StihlHead
suggest hollowing it out some, dugout canoe style with fire, until you have a snazzy birdbath.

Reactions: StihlHead
Just think about how many cedar grilling planks u could make out of it. They should have advertise it as free lifetime supply of cedar grilling planks just have to cut and move. :D

Reactions: n3pro
Its not a whole lot different than any other piece of wood. Do not fit the dirt use a wedge and bring the right saw!

suggest hollowing it out some, dugout canoe style with fire, until you have a snazzy birdbath.

Birdbath? Hey, good idea, but go big! You could make a hot tub out of it. Though I do not think that the city of McMinnville would approve of outdoor burning. Might take a while with a wood chisel, or cutting wedges with a chainsaw.

That would be way more work than I would want to do for a third cord of wood. It's Cedar, fercrapsake! I certainly wouldn't want to try to take it down to ground level. <>

For what the loop of carbide chain would cost to take that down to ground level, I could have a couple cords delivered, already split!

Reactions: n3pro
OK, this is from a CL ad today in Oregon. Which has me wondering how on earth does one get a stump this size cut into a giant block this size? Considering it is a mass of burl... I dunno what type of wood it is. Which is another thing I am stumped about. I would guess western red cedar by the size and color. I have had a go at some large multi-trunk cedar stumps around here and they are REALLY hard on chainsaws and chains. Not just from the grit and dirt, but the grain. You would think a softer wood like cedar would be easy to cut, but no way Jose. Even when they are green these things are really tough muthers. This is likely rock hard. It also could be something like black oak (my ex has several black oaks on her property that are 5 feet DBH).

Scotty, are you game? Maybe use a Stihl cutoff saw? Or a water cooled diamond saw? Think of all the 'seasoned' firewood in there! This is a solid 1/4 cord block of wood! _g

View attachment 106065

We have a stump we would love to get cut to ground level. It is 23" tall and about 4' in diameter. There is a surprising amount of firewood in it. My husband cut on it some last year, but still has a long ways to go.

I doubt even Scotty would travel cross-country for firewood. Right?????

I dunno. Does the Overkiller have a seasoned solid 1/4 cord block of wood for his milling collection? They used to make ancient Egyptian ship hulls out of cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.