OK, I have LOTS of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnick01

Nov 3, 2011
Michigan
but I'll ask them a few at a time. First off, I'm not new at burning, but I have absolutely no experience at burning PROPERLY. I bought this house 13 years ago and it came with the fireplace insert below. I know the glass is dirty - I know how to deal with that. I have no idea how old it is or what the model # is - only that it's a Grizzly.

I haven't had much luck finding any info on the web about this thing. When I bought the house, the insert sat in the fireplace with an open hole on the top (no connection from the insert to the SS chimney liner). Lots of smoke, crappy fires and burned through wood like a campfire! I have since connected the insert to the flue liner (about 4 ft.) with flexible a SS piece. This cut down the smoke a ton! I burn occasionally and it seems like if I do everything right, I end up in my underwear - the thing puts out heat! However, these perfect fires are few and far between.

Before I get too deep into the details, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone recognize this model and have any info on the age / quality of the unit (is it worth trying to mess with or should I consider a new model)?

2) I removed a large chunk of concrete-ish slab thing that sat on a shelf just below the exhaust hole because it was split in two. What was this, what does it do and is it replaceable?

I hope you all will excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what to do with this thing. I really enjoy the thought of having a warm, pretty, efficient woodburner to heat the house with, but I'd like not to waste my time and hard-earned $$$ on an endless project.

I've scoured this forum for days and I'm convinced that I've come to the right place. I really appreciate any help / advice!!

232323232_fp733<7>nu=32<3>686>46;>WSNRCG=374;54<542336nu0mrj

Hey welcome aboard. Was the concrete thing inside the insert or out? If inside maybe some kind of fire brick for reflecting heat or possibly protecting flue? The modern stoves/inserts I have seen all use fire brick in the fire box.

It was a firebrick baffle. Without it your heating efficiency likely dropped dramaticaly.

I don't know much about inserts, the one you have is pretty though.

Some folks can cast firebrick to shape, or a steel plate might work.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

The brick was inside the firebox. I assume its purpose is to hold some heat and also to impede the flow out of the stack some as there is no damper up top. Do these older inserts normally have a way to control the airflow out? Seems it would be hard to pinch down the burn rate without being able to control the airflow in and out.

This would be an older Grizz, probably about 1980 or so. The models they made in later years were sleeker and had single doors and larger glass.

It does not look like your unit has a exit damper - some inserts do, but if you can control it from the air inlets it should not make a big diff.

Yes, the baffle provides a longer flame path and therefore more heat into the room.

This is an older unit, so will have none of the clean burning and high efficiency features of the newer stuff - but if your wallet is looking slim and your woodpile large, it may provide some relief until you can upgrade.

Thanks, Craig.

I think I'll look to get a stainless steel piece made to fit that shelf.

I did look at some new EPA inserts yesterday. Shouldn't have done that - no the wheels are turning!

My next question is about proper temperature. I have a fire going right now. First time starting with top-down method (thanks, board!). I had no problems with startup and had a nice, hot fire going within about 30 minutes. I closed down the air inlets slowly until the flames seemed to be rolling in slo-mo. The only place I can read temp. is on the 4" or so that sticks out of the fireplace on top. Right now, it reads about 425F.

1) Is that an accurate place to read the temp?
2) Is there another place I can put a thermometer that would be better?
3) Does that seem like proper "cruising" temp for an insert?

Again, I'm trying to learn - please be patient with me.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.