O'k i,m going to install my stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outback andy

Apr 6, 2012
So i,m going to install my Afton bay, I will be going straight up from the stove to the ceiling and though the roof, is there any advantages to going to a 4.00" or the 3.00" chimney piping ? I will be getting the air intake from my crawl space also.

If your EVL is not an issue, I don't see any advantage to using 4".

The only advantage to using a 4" vent in your situation. Is if you "upgrade" your stove in a few years to a larger one with a 4" exhaust..

I did and had to purchase new vent piping.

Not a huge expense. But, I could have saved about $300 if I had originally used 4"

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Hello

I use a 8" block center chimney with a reducer from 8" to 4" for my pellet stove, but it will take anything! In case I want to downgrade to an old 8" wood stove in the future! LOL

How about a Double T for easy cleaning. I can clean those pipes in 10 mins without taking them apart! See Pic below:

How about a nice raised heated hearth with LED rope light? Keeps your feet warm when cleaning your stove!
See my post in this thread!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/its-done-heres-the-pics-to-prove-it.77125/#post-979101

I may suggest the Selkirk DV for the oak and vent all in one!
An OAK does bring in cooler air and damper air. However it does keep the house much more comfortable than not having one and bring air in from all the cracks! Simply because when it pulls cooler outside air across your body from cracks, the room you are in feels cooler to you and it makes the room cooler!

Cooler air has more oxygen so it burns quite well. However the damp air from the shoulder seasons seems to be more of an issue when burning the pellet stove on a low feed rate. The dampness can make the pellets stick and clog in the burn pot. You can adjust the air and feed rate to compensate. Some stoves like the Avalon and Lopi have an opening in the OAK plenum inside the stove to mix the outside air with heated inside stove air to rectify this dampness issue.

The best solution I have seen is using the SelKirk venting system that brings in the outside air thru a double wall in the pellet flue vent. This system dries out the OAK air and warms it up also. That is the way to go if possible!!! See pic

Attachments

• DoubleT.jpg
    DoubleT.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 135
  • PipeWithOak.jpg
    PipeWithOak.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 130
How high up do.you have to go? Exact length.

If its only 8ft, then with a 90°, your EVL will be 6.5'. But if you need lots of vertical, or start installing 45°'s for offsets to miss rafters in the ceiling. Then the EVL will add up quick.

As Nailer said, later sown the road is always good thinking. I just bought a different stove yesterday to replace my Quadrafire. I know have to redo the entire vent. As iys a direct vent and Englanders need at least 3' vertical section. So always plan ahead. Never know what the future brings. A few dollars now. May save a few more down the road?

How high up do.you have to go? Exact length.

If its only 8ft, then with a 90°, your EVL will be 6.5'. But if you need lots of vertical, or start installing 45°'s for offsets to miss rafters in the ceiling. Then the EVL will add up quick.

As Nailer said, later sown the road is always good thinking. I just bought a different stove yesterday to replace my Quadrafire. I know have to redo the entire vent. As iys a direct vent and Englanders need at least 3' vertical section. So always plan ahead. Never know what the future brings. A few dollars now. May save a few more down the road?

Hi Dexter

One thing I just learned is that a 3' section going up the outside of the house does not draft nearly as good as going up 3' inside the house. Keep this in mind because my friend has to clean the venting every month because it was installed the way the manual DID NOT recommend!

See pics and details:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...r-magnum-baby-countryside.85610/#post-1103066

our afton bay goes from 3" immediately to a 4" straight out the wall.

We bought used and the venting came with it.

I see, so now you know the best way to add vertical rise, unless you like alot of vent cleaning. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.