OK it's been long enough!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaddius Wenderoth

Feeling the Heat
Jan 21, 2013
I guess I have been on here long enough I should probably post some pics of my stoves. I did end up getting the Avalon Avanti from craigslist for $340... so here are pics of both.

PDVC in main house.......................................Avalon Avanti in guest house
DSC_1042.JPG
DSC_1044.JPG

Reactions: h2ochild
They look great! Is that a little bonus heat booster behind the PDVC? ;)

Is that Avanti as small as it looks in that pic? I like it.

They look great! Is that a little bonus heat booster behind the PDVC? ;)
Is that Avanti as small as it looks in that pic? I like it.
Lol it is a photon transfer heat mobilizer. :p The Avanti is pretty small. For $340 I couldn't pass it up! Runs like a top except the combustion blower doesn't shut down after the stove cools down.

both look nice

is there a reason they are both off center on there pads?

There you go! Nice pics. Hey, that stove in the guest house.....Is that the one you were asking about and I said bring cash and a truck and guys? If so- nice price.Installs look good, and the tower fan behind the 25-PDVC is mint! That is what I have too. Thanks for the pics.

P.S. If my wife and I are in the area, we are going to invite ourselves to stay in your geust house!!!

There you go! Nice pics. Hey, that stove in the guest house.....Is that the one you were asking about and I said bring cash and a truck and guys? If so- nice price.Installs look good, and the tower fan behind the 25-PDVC is mint! That is what I have too. Thanks for the pics.

P.S. If my wife and I are in the area, we are going to invite ourselves to stay in your geust house!!!
That is the stove. I appreciate the advice! You and the wife are more than welcome anytime. I'll leave the light on and a couple of bags of pellets ready to burn!

both look nice

is there a reason they are both off center on there pads?
Well the PDVC is because the pad is built in and was for a wood stove. When I replaced the wood stove the thimble through the ceiling didn't line up so it was either some contortion of the pipe or off center on the pad. For operational efficiency I went with the latter. The one in the guest house is off center just because I didn't center it.<>

Whats the purpose of the tower fan behind the stove?

Nice installs - I like the look of that Avalon.
Yeah Avalon is a good looking stove. I wish I would have taken pictures of the tear-apart and clean-up. It was BAD!!! Never cleaned properly for sure. When I first got it I fired it up (even though I knew it would burn like chit just by looking at it) just to see how bad it would burn. It was slow tall flame. Tore it down cleaned it up and burning REALLY nice now.

Well two things. 1. It really helps move the air around creating a nice even heat throughout the house. 2. Since my venting goes straight up I have natural draft pulling the air up so it can be cooler so I like it blowing on the pipe recapturing some of that heat.

Yeah Avalon is a good looking stove. I wish I would have taken pictures of the tear-apart and clean-up. It was BAD!!! Never cleaned properly for sure. When I first got it I fired it up (even though I knew it would burn like chit just by looking at it) just to see how bad it would burn. It was slow tall flame. Tore it down cleaned it up and burning REALLY nice now.
Travis really makes some nice stoves. I loved my Astoria.....NEVER had even 1 problem or part go bad.

Like to see a pic of the back of the astoria, how is it vented?, why is it so close to the door?, how small is this guest house anyway?

Like to see a pic of the back of the astoria, how is it vented?, why is it so close to the door?, how small is this guest house anyway?
I will take pics of the back after work. It is direct vented with the DuraVent kit. It is so close to the door because that is the only spot that made sense. I had limited options as their are only 2 walls that go directly outside. The guest house is about 400sf.

I have a tower fan behind both my wood stove and pellet stove. Basically, it helps distribute the radiant heat more evenly. Certainly, there is considerably more radiant heat from the wood stove than there is the pellet stove but even the pellet stove generates some radiant. I guess that using a tower fan to try and capture every last degree generated by the pellet stove is not dissimilar to using a rubber spatula to scrape every last bit of mayonaise from the jar. Is it really necessary?....probably not, but "Every little bit helps" said the old lady as she pee'd into the ocean!:)

Reactions: Thaddius Wenderoth
Status
Not open for further replies.