Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ansehnlich1 said:
I had to drag my lazy butt out and take some pics for this thread, my estimate is about 12 cord tucked away here....

Anybody who can make such neat free standing stacks like that, that don't fall over, is definitely not "lazy".
I, on the other hand, truly am lazy, that's why I built a woodshed with walls to support the wood and make stacking "neatly" as easy as possible.
The splits literally get thrown on the stack, no tedious cross stacking splits for this guy. ;-P
almostfull.JPG

Gearhead said:
Hello all. I'm new here, so I thought I would post a few pics of a few stacks I've been working on. This is one of my stacks mostly hemlock and doug fir. We bought a new Enviro Kodiak this year will be our first full winter using it - can't wait. Ron

Welcome!
That's some nice. Looking stacks! And that is a beast of a truck? It has no sag at all with air in the back! What did u do to the truck?

HehHeh . . . you guys crack me up . . . beautiful woodpiles . . . mine on the other hand look ugly . . . they're here and there, chunks and uglies are stacked on top, some have some awful leans and most don't have that nice even look that many of these piles have . . . which is fine for me since I'm not trying to win any beauty contests . . . all I care is that the wood gets seasoned. That said, some of you have some nice stacks.

Ansehnlich1 . . . like Carbon Liberator I was a bit amused at your choice of the word "lazy" based on the amount of wood, cleanliness of the yard and the look of the stacks . . . nah, not lazy . . . efficient, organized . . . maybe tired from all of the work . . . but not lazy . . . nice job . . . and incidentally I hear you about the German in you . . . my wife is second-generation German and her father came over right after WW II . . . his house in CT was the nicest on the block and as for my wife . . . well my Irish-English-Scottish-German-French (well the Johnsons were never very exclusive) heritage has finally wore her down to the point where she likes a clean and neat house . . . but at least she has stopped moving all of the furniture every time she vacuums the house.

Carbon Liberator . . . hello pot, I am the kettle . . . you call out Anshenlich and then say you are lazy . . . uh . . . nope . . . building a woodshed -- especially a woodshed as nice as yours -- is not a walk in the park . . . again, not lazy . . . then again, are many of us here truly lazy when it comes to heating with wood . . . I would say respectfully no . . . heating with wood is a lot of work and few -- if any -- folks here are what I would consider lazy.

firefighterjake said:
HehHeh . . . you guys crack me up . . . beautiful woodpiles . . . mine on the other hand look ugly . . . they're here and there, chunks and uglies are stacked on top, some have some awful leans and most don't have that nice even look that many of these piles have . . . which is fine for me since I'm not trying to win any beauty contests . . . all I care is that the wood gets seasoned. That said, some of you have some nice stacks.

Ansehnlich1 . . . like Carbon Liberator I was a bit amused at your choice of the word "lazy" based on the amount of wood, cleanliness of the yard and the look of the stacks . . . nah, not lazy . . . efficient, organized . . . maybe tired from all of the work . . . but not lazy . . . nice job . . . and incidentally I hear you about the German in you . . . my wife is second-generation German and her father came over right after WW II . . . his house in CT was the nicest on the block and as for my wife . . . well my Irish-English-Scottish-German-French (well the Johnsons were never very exclusive) heritage has finally wore her down to the point where she likes a clean and neat house . . . but at least she has stopped moving all of the furniture every time she vacuums the house.

Carbon Liberator . . . hello pot, I am the kettle . . . you call out Anshenlich and then say you are lazy . . . uh . . . nope . . . building a woodshed -- especially a woodshed as nice as yours -- is not a walk in the park . . . again, not lazy . . . then again, are many of us here truly lazy when it comes to heating with wood . . . I would say respectfully no . . . heating with wood is a lot of work and few -- if any -- folks here are what I would consider lazy.

Hey FFJake, you made me laugh.....Yeah, you called me on my B.S. haha! Fer sure, there's not a one of us that burns with wood that we could call lazy....I work my arse off on all sorts of stuff, firewood bein' one of 'em. I'm a 50 yr. old married man, and neat stacks makes for a happy wife :)

The Liberator, sheesh, he's got the nicest woodshed on the planet, hands down. I see where he's from and I can fully understand why he's got that nice shed....hey Liberator, what say in January you post a couple pics of that wood shed eh?

For real, it don't matter how your wood stack looks, as long as you got seasoned wood to burn. All I do with mine is lay out the pallets and start stackin', guess I have some experience with cross stackin' the ends, gotta eyball the split before pickin' it up when building the ends.

Welcome!
That's some nice. Looking stacks! And that is a beast of a truck? It has no sag at all with air in the back! What did u do to the truck?[/quote]

Thanks for the hospitality. This forum seems to be full of nice and helpfull people. About the truck - I've owned it for many years. It has some pretty serious overload springs on it and will really haul a mean load of wood I'll tell ya what. It's main duty is hauling wood but is also my hunting truck too. Does all this with 300 6cyl power!!

Gearhead , it looks like you are off to a great start!

ready for my first year of burning! I built this shed and cut and split all my scrounged wood by hand. It was allot fun. its nothing compared to everyone else's.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-09-04 at 11.55.jpg
    Photo on 2010-09-04 at 11.55.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,207
ejevans22 said:
ready for my first year of burning! I built this shed and cut and split all my scrounged wood by hand. It was allot fun. its nothing compared to everyone else's.

Pics please

well the heat finally hit the road so its that time again :)

started this morning on some of the wood i dragged out of the swamp..

DSC08069.jpg

and here is my wife having at the splitter ;-)

DSC08073.jpg

loon said:
well the heat finally hit the road so its that time again :)

started this morning on some of the wood i dragged out of the swamp..

DSC08069.jpg

and here is my wife having at the splitter ;-)

DSC08073.jpg

Do you leave your splitter out there?

iceman said:
loon said:
Do you leave your splitter out there?

was over to the house for lunch and threw up a quick pic iceman..

i have full access to around 600 acres across the road and i help out the farmer who is 80. he is out haying right now and i am getting his wood ready.
do mine then do his ;-)

dragged a bunch of wood from the swamp at the end of his property in the winter and come Monday the young lads are coming out to give me a hand. will take some more pics as we go.

wont be stacking as it is all going in the house and in the grain shed, but there should be a couple good piles ;-P

DSC08081.jpg

DSC08083.jpg

another bunch of 'good and dead' elm will be on its way in a couple weeks...

Terry

Wow 600 acres ....... wow .... talk about wood supply.....I wish.....

Good for you please post more as you go!

Loon you got some serious wood there......but even better 'n that, you got a wife that runs the splitter.......PRICELESS!!!

I have a special love for Ontario, seems odd though, but my mother, God love her, she passed in London, Ont. in 1980, at the University Hospital. It was a long ride home so it was.

Keep us updated on your piles, they're gonna be some nice ones :)

Late to the party as usual, but here is a crappy cell phone pic I took the other day. The stack is about 5 & 1/2 feet tall and two pallets wide all the way down.

Attachments

• stacks 2010 fall.jpg
    stacks 2010 fall.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,190
That is a nice supply. How long is it? i know sometimes pictures can be deceiving.

Archer39 said:
That is a nice supply. How long is it? i know sometimes pictures can be deceiving.

I am fairly sure it is 18 pallets long for a total of 36. There is also another 10 pallet stack that is underway at the back of the pic. You can just barely see the wood pile for it on the left hand side of the photo. It's split into 12 pallet groups, so hopefully at least 3 years worth or more.

Will you burn all that wood this coming winter 'Bert?

This seasons worth of heat, plus a little start on next year...

stack2a.jpg

The other end of the stack with compost pile, scraggly/scrap wood pile and a few pieces left to split

stack1.jpg

Looking outward at the ugliness...

stack3.jpg

cozy heat said:

stack2a.jpg

The other end of the stack with compost pile, scraggly/scrap wood pile and a few pieces left to split

stack1.jpg

stack3.jpg
thought u didnt bother with stacking?

cozy heat said:

stack2a.jpg

stack1.jpg

stack3.jpg

Hey! Post pics of your splitter and do tell how you did it!

Here are the pictures of my wood pile for this year, I believe its around 5 cords of wood, I also have a pic of a future stump table.

Attachments

• My wood pile 001.jpg
    My wood pile 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,261
  • My wood pile 004.jpg
    My wood pile 004.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,247
had a great morning but the rain got us after lunch %-P half as much in the shed...

DSC08117.jpg

will poke away till the deer hunt :)

DSC08118.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
Will you burn all that wood this coming winter 'Bert?

I hope not!! That is suppose to be 3 years ahead, as per instructions from "you folks". :ahhh:

Never have been able to pinpoint how much I burn in a winter here as we tend to add from a bunch of standing dead spruce that has been forest fire burnt some years ago. The forest fire wood is perfectly clean (not like I first thought when my buddy said "lets cut from the forest fire area") and dry as can be. The fire went though so fast it only burnt the outside bark and left the rest of the trees standing, perfectly barkless. Very odd, but great burning stuff. Good excuse to get out in the winter and cut with a good friend (and now my 361 Arctic) :coolsmile:

Also wifey and I both work so we "supplement" with wood and allow the nat gas furnace to take over as need be (also can be read as "when I am not home to make a fire") >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.