Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here my supply for this winter.

Attachments

• btaspen.jpg
    btaspen.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,166
  • ws5.jpg
    ws5.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • ws4.jpg
    ws4.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,158
  • ws3.jpg
    ws3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,165
  • ws2.jpg
    ws2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • ws.jpg
    ws.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,139
In VT:

Mostly Ash that was cut and split last year. I have another rack of pine behind the shed that you can't see in the pic.

The wood all the way in the back is stuff we cut this year when clearing some land.

IMG_3141.jpg

Here is a few shots of what I have going on. The stacks are made up of Norway Maple and a little Ash and 4 year old Oak. It is sitting at my parents house. I will be moving it to my place soon.

Front and back shot of the splitting pile. It's made up of Shag Bark Hickory, Norway Maple, Ash, and Elm. I also have a huge Cottonwood sitting on the ground to be bucked. A large Tulip coming down soon at a neighbors house, and I need to get working on a big Oak that needs to be bucked.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,038
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,021
Two more. My neighbor cut down a nice birch and had the tree service leave it in my driveway. Some more of the Elm rounds in my driveway.

Attachments

• birch.jpg
    birch.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,033
  • elm.jpg
    elm.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,006
Im in the process of moving some piles around. I'll probably get more done now that the weather has cooled off a bit. I believe my total count is 8 cords of wood such as red oak, white oak, silver maple, sugar maple, poplar, cherry, pine, mulberry, sassafras, and other mystery splits haha. I finally have my driveway back!...well almost.

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 944
  • maple2.jpg
    maple2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 973
  • mix.jpg
    mix.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 950
  • mix2.jpg
    mix2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 965
  • mix3.jpg
    mix3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 963
  • oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 958
Here's my '10/'11 stack with some artistic lighting that we set up for my 40th birthday party in July. Its just over 4 cords of Maple, Cherry, ans Ash. I have about 4 1/2 cords of White and Red Oak for '11/'12 on the other end of the back yard making about 9 cords on 1/4 acre. All of it is scrounged and hand split. I think I will burn about 3 1/2 or so per season. This only the second season with the new stove and the first with well seasoned wood so I am still not sure about how much we will burn.
DSCN1288.jpg

In daylight
0414101730.jpg

Hmm.... well I guess I'll get in on this fun as well.

Have had the joy of processing all this in 2010. Most was done before summer began. We hope it will burn ok this winter, but I know it won't be the best.... not yet anyway. There is a mixture of red oak, white oak, mulberry, cherry, hedge, cedar, poplar, maple, elm, ash, hickory, sycamore, etc. you name it!

The pallets are from a local heating/air shop - they get their sheet metal delivered on them 4'x8'. The concrete block is because we have lots of termites locally, and don't want them getting any free lunches. :coolgrin:

Oh yes... the stacks are about 6' tall but losely stacked due to the cris-crossing pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 932
Finally got my wood stacked for this season. About 3+ cord of oak (right side) and 1.5 cord of cherry (left side).

Next year I will have a woodshed in the same spot.

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 908
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 886
Well my home pile is not neat nor do I know how much wood is in it but here it is its roughly 6' high.

57912_1315655986434_1681757389_606787_7311949_n.jpg

57912_1315656066436_1681757389_606788_4181126_n.jpg

All but about 1 cord was hauled from the farm 350 miles from home in the UP in the little trailer. I did make two loads on my 18' car hauler. But without side racks on it I could only haul logs and only got a face cord more on it than the little trailer.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
All but about 1 cord was hauled from the farm 350 miles from home

Billy

Not cool. You could be helping destructive pest get into areas it hasnt been introduced yet. I think the rule of thumb is not to transport wood further than 50 miles from where it originated.

BucksCoBernie said:
Cowboy Billy said:
All but about 1 cord was hauled from the farm 350 miles from home

Billy

Not cool. You could be helping destructive pest get into areas it hasnt been introduced yet. I think the rule of thumb is not to transport wood further than 50 miles from where it originated.

Seeing as there are not any bugs up there that are not already down here thats not a problem.

Billy

This is my first year burning. I scrounged more than half of what I have here in the photos. Some cherry, maple and ash make up the majority of the piles. I figure about 3.5 full cords

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,129
roberth42 said:
This is my first year burning. I scrounged more than half of what I have here in the photos. Some cherry, maple and ash make up the majority of the piles. I figure about 3.5 full cords

the young lad looks like he is pretty happy with this coming years warmth :)

Cowboy Billy said:
All but about 1 cord was hauled from the farm 350 miles from home in the UP in the little trailer. I did make two loads on my 18' car hauler. But without side racks on it I could only haul logs and only got a face cord more on it than the little trailer.

Billy

Yeah not cool at all. Because of people like you that dont follow the transport law of 50 miles. we have issues like this.

http://www.climate.org/topics/ecosystems/beetle-battle.html

Most states wont even let you transport wood across the boarder. PA/NY/VT/CT and NH all wont that i know of around me. Even if your house is 1 mile from the place you fell the timber.

drozenski said:
Yeah not cool at all. Because of people like you that dont follow the transport law of 50 miles. we have issues like this.

He's not breaking any Michigan laws. We can legally move wood freely in the lower. Wood from the lower can not cross the bridge to the upper but he can bring wood from the upper to the lower.

I closely watch the health of my woods. I know what pests and diseases are there and in what species of trees. And I check the DNR website regularly and know what may be coming my way. And I would not and do not haul wood that is know to carry pests and diseases.

Billy

58587_1591039105543_1522838115_31494887_2023458_n.jpg

Dark stacks in the back and the shed are about 2 cords worth of oak and crabapple for this winter.

Lighter stacks are 1 1/3 cord of mixed hardwoods for next year. Still have another face cord to stack. Probably going to try and scrounge up one more cord to stack before it gets cold.

drozenski said:

http://www.climate.org/topics/ecosystems/beetle-battle.html

Most states wont even let you transport wood across the boarder. PA/NY/VT/CT and NH all wont that I know of around me. Even if your house is 1 mile from the place you fell the timber.

Some folks are quick to judge when they dont even know the laws we deal with. Here in Ohio they were quarantined by county, and back a few years you pretty much couldnt go out of my county for wood. Since then the whole state is now under quarantine and you can freely transport wood. Our families farm is about 130mi for me, and were up there often anyhow.

karenswoodstacks1.jpg

Finally got the rest of my "pretty" wood stacked today, got another pile of uglies. The stacks on the left are at least 6 foot tall and four stacks deep, if anyone wants to tell me about how much I've got, I'd appreciate it! Definitely enough for our mild Arkansas winters, I burned less than half this much last year. Just hoping the sticks at 30% moisture dry out before it gets cold!

Karen

3dogsrule said:
karenswoodstacks1.jpg

Finally got the rest of my "pretty" wood stacked today, got another pile of uglies. The stacks on the left are at least 6 foot tall and four stacks deep, if anyone wants to tell me about how much I've got, I'd appreciate it! Definitely enough for our mild Arkansas winters, I burned less than half this much last year. Just hoping the sticks at 30% moisture dry out before it gets cold!

Karen

How many feet does each row go back and what size are those split? I would guess 18 inch splits
So 1.5*6*how many feet back will tell u cf in each. Row

iceman said:
How many feet does each row go back and what size are those split? I would guess 18 inch splits
So 1.5*6*how many feet back will tell u cf in each. Row

Well, I've got partial stacks here and there, I'd say cumulatively I've got 20 stacks of 16" splits averaging 6 feet tall.

Karen

Here's our firewood, all free (except for my time and labor). It's about 8 total cords. 2 cords of pine, 1 cord of willow, 2 cords of poplar (cottonwood), 2 cords of siberian elm, and about a cord of douglas fir in the form of 2x4's, 2x6's, etc. It'll be my second year of having the stove (Alderlea T5 by Pacific Energy). Last year we mainly burned cut up pallets and some poplar. It sucked but it was all I had access to at the time. I've kept my eye open all year for free wood from folks that have had trees dropped and built up a bit. Always looking for more though. The community we live in is about 10 years old, thus the cookie cutter homes. We have .19 of an acre so I have to be smart about where to stack. I got the idea to stack along the fence from a post on here and also got input on here for the stove we purchased which we absolutely love, it is very efficient. I found a brand new MTD 25 ton splitter with the Briggs and Stratton 6.25 horse for 500 bucks out the door... long story, I won't bore you. I also picked up the Echo CS400 which has been a gem so far.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 901
Looks like you got a good start elijah! I need to find me one of those log splitter deals...

elijah said:
Here's our firewood, all free (except for my time and labor). It's about 8 total cords. 2 cords of pine, 1 cord of willow, 2 cords of poplar (cottonwood), 2 cords of siberian elm, and about a cord of douglas fir in the form of 2x4's, 2x6's, etc. It'll be my second year of having the stove (Alderlea T5 by Pacific Energy). Last year we mainly burned cut up pallets and some poplar. It sucked but it was all I had access to at the time. I've kept my eye open all year for free wood from folks that have had trees dropped and built up a bit. Always looking for more though. The community we live in is about 10 years old, thus the cookie cutter homes. We have .19 of an acre so I have to be smart about where to stack. I got the idea to stack along the fence from a post on here and also got input on here for the stove we purchased which we absolutely love, it is very efficient. I found a brand new MTD 25 ton splitter with the Briggs and Stratton 6.25 horse for 500 bucks out the door... long story, I won't bore you. I also picked up the Echo CS400 which has been a gem so far.

hehehe all free (except for my time and labor).

Well, if you don't count the splitter, both chainsaws, multiple chains and sharpening, bar oil, gas, filters, truck gas to haul wood, wear & tear on truck,$ for shed...and oh ya the stove, hearth, pipes etc.

All my wood is free also.
:)

Ratman said:
elijah said:

hehehe all free (except for my time and labor).

Well, if you don't count the splitter, both chainsaws, multiple chains and sharpening, bar oil, gas, filters, truck gas to haul wood, wear & tear on truck,$ for shed...and oh ya the stove, hearth, pipes etc.

All my wood is free also.
:)

8 cords at 150 a pop puts me at 1200 bucks so I guess that more than covers the saw and splitter, accessories and expenses. So everything now is just money in the pocket or savings from not running the lame central heat. (At least that's how I rationalize it all to myself :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.