Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's my back up pile for the year.

all stacked up and ready to be covered.

covered up. will open next year.

Attachments

• wood pile cover.jpg
    wood pile cover.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,023
  • wood pile.jpg
    wood pile.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,268
sublime68charger said:

all stacked up and ready to be covered.

covered up. will open next year.

I have been looking for a smaller version where did you get it?

Thought I saw some at the Tractor Supply Company also, theres one in Southwick or Westfield.

Here are mein Holz Hausen. The oldest ones on the right are about two years old, the rest somewhat younger. Each is 8 ft diameter almost exactly, and they were all eye level at the outer edge of the 'roof' when I built them. The old ones have shrunken about 8 or 10 inches. They are not 'tightly stacked' as per the standard definition of a cord of wood, because I want to encourage air movement through them. The volume each is about 4x4x3.14x5.5 = 276 cubic feet / 128 cubic feet per cord = 2.15 cords. Accounting for the loose stacking, I guess each is between 1.5 and 2 standard cords (or between 1.5 and 13 Craiglist cords). I expect to burn two hausen per winter, so I have three years of wood here. The wood is a mix of everything that grows here, with the majority Black, Red, White, and Chestnut Oaks, Red Maple, and Black Walnut.

I have plans to help a friend clear a bunch of trees next week, so maybe I'll manage to build another one soon, but I also will run out of miscellaneous piles to burn sometime in the next month and HH #1 will begin to be taken down. Who knows if I will ever have more than 6 complete HH at once.

Attachments

• holz hausens nov 2010.jpg
    holz hausens nov 2010.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,014
Here are my humble little piles for burning this year, 1.5 cords for the Quad upstairs, 1 cord for the X33 downstairs, all pinon. I haven't taken a single piece out of either one yet, we're having a very mild fall, I'm just burning scraps and some Siberian elm to take the chill off. Then I have five log stacks like the one to the right of the Quad's pile, about a cord each.

Attachments

• wood1011a.jpg
    wood1011a.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 894
  • wood1011b.jpg
    wood1011b.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 843
[quote author="Justin M" date="1289696660"]This is all of '10-'11, and most of '11-'12. It's around 9 cords.

Justin nice setup and great looking wood stacks.

zap

Wood Duck said:
Here are mein Holz Hausen. The oldest ones on the right are about two years old, the rest somewhat younger. Each is 8 ft diameter almost exactly, and they were all eye level at the outer edge of the 'roof' when I built them. The old ones have shrunken about 8 or 10 inches. They are not 'tightly stacked' as per the standard definition of a cord of wood, because I want to encourage air movement through them. The volume each is about 4x4x3.14x5.5 = 276 cubic feet / 128 cubic feet per cord = 2.15 cords. Accounting for the loose stacking, I guess each is between 1.5 and 2 standard cords (or between 1.5 and 13 Craiglist cords). I expect to burn two hausen per winter, so I have three years of wood here. The wood is a mix of everything that grows here, with the majority Black, Red, White, and Chestnut Oaks, Red Maple, and Black Walnut.

I have plans to help a friend clear a bunch of trees next week, so maybe I'll manage to build another one soon, but I also will run out of miscellaneous piles to burn sometime in the next month and HH #1 will begin to be taken down. Who knows if I will ever have more than 6 complete HH at once.

Nice Holz Hausen's.

zap

Here's my '10/'11 and some '11/'12 stack. Cherry, (soft?) Maple, and Ash with a little Oak standing by for the real cold nights. It is about 4.5 cords. I just started on it yesterday. It broke my heart to see a hole in it after I loaded up the rack on the covered front porch.
DSC06327.jpg

Here's '11/'12 and '12/'13. 95% Oak and various other stuff. It will be 5+ cords when I fill in the last few feet.
DSC06328.jpg

Wood Duck said:

Nice job on HHs, I have started to tear apart my large one (10 feet diameter), it breaks my heart but it is time to go. Do you use pallets? I can not see any. You might want to try a 10 footer, it is amazing how much more wood you can store. You cannot beat the conversation piece of a HH.

My unique issue is my neighbors and how close our houses are. The stacks you see and my processing area are within 20 feet of their bedroom window. Once in the past 7 years he came out and said something to me, I looked at my watch and it was 9:45 pm, oops. Honestly, we've spoken a half a dozen times in 10 years, just the way I like it. I've learned to split when he's not home these days. My stacks sure don't look as straight and squared away as some, I'll get on that...

I figure I've got 5 cords spread around the property. That'll cover '10-'11, and part of '11-'12. And I'm still scrounging. The only money spent on the wood has been gas and ibuprofen, maybe a little chain wear. I scored a deal with a land owner a few years ago, I cut his red oaks he wants thinned out, and I don't charge him. I also have a local contact with a tree service who regularly drops wood into the back of my truck while I'm at work. I do tip him with beer, but I end up drinking half of 'em...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 760
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 782
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 821
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 754
GolfandWoodNut said:
Nice job on HHs, I have started to tear apart my large one (10 feet diameter), it breaks my heart but it is time to go. Do you use pallets? I can not see any. You might want to try a 10 footer, it is amazing how much more wood you can store. You cannot beat the conversation piece of a HH.

I stack mine on rocks that I remove from the garden. I get tons of rock anywhere I dig, and it works great to kep the wood off the ground.. The first layer or two of wood has to be carefully placed because the rocks are irregularly shaped and unstable at first, but after i get some weight on them the thing is pretty stable. I haven't tried a 10 footer (mine are all 8 foot diameter). I have lots of space, so I don't go higher than it is convenient for me, but I think I could go a few feet higher and not lose stability.

This is an interesting and useful thread.

Here's my stacks. This is my first year; I don't have a stove yet--hopefully by Christmas. So far I have a little over 2 cords most of which has been split in the last month from fallen and standing-dead trees. The stack at the left is built like an elephant pen because it's on a slope--which falls away steeply to the left. This is on the ridgeline which gets almost constant wind and the stacks get sun most of the day. I'll tighten up the spacing between the middle and right-hand stacks next year but this year I'm trying to dry as fast as possible.

Attachments

• woodPile.jpg
    woodPile.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 607
obie1, good on you for getting your wood together BEFORE you get a stove...

sublime68charger said:

all stacked up and ready to be covered. covered up. will open next year.

Don't understand this. Why would you totally enclose it until next year? That's like sealing it up in Tupperware. Shouldn't it be totally open until it has been well seasoned and, only then, maybe just top covered?

Time to resurrect this thread. 3.5cords-ish pictured here (maple, cherry, red/white oak), going to go cut up a fallen oak on my neighbors property in a little bit that should yield me another cord. Dont even have a stove yet!

Attachments

• IMG_20111211_131604.jpg
    IMG_20111211_131604.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 531
Thanks for showing your wood stacks guys. Now I have stack envy.... :ahhh:

The first photo is wood that came from a neighboring farm and from a friend in Blue Knob. I like the look of the fog and snow. The second photo is the tri-axel load that I bought last summer. The third photo is the logs from the second photo cut, split and stacked, three rows deep. The rounds in the front of the pile are oak from a home less than a mile from my house (my best score yet). I have more wood stacked against the house. I wanted to move it to make space for green wood and wanted it close to the house in the event that we get more snow than I can push a wheelbarrow through. I just noticed our lawn looked better in late November than it did in August. We didn't get any rain in July but the spring and fall were very wet. The lawn is still green. Too bad its not covered with snow.

Attachments

• snow-fog.jpg
    snow-fog.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 502
  • logs.jpg
    logs.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 454
  • rounds.jpg
    rounds.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 480
Status
Not open for further replies.