OK, I've decided upon demo'ing out my fireplace. Any suggestions on which woodstoves I should look

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosencra38

Jun 17, 2008
West Michigan
Well, I didn't want to do this but it looks like the only route I will be able to go. I own a 2000sq ft mobile home built in 1999 that currently has a fireplace in it. Problem is that the fireplace is too small to put an insert in so now I am seriously considering ripping out that entire corner of my living room and putting in a wood stove. I'm wondering what brands/models of wood stoves I should be looking at. I don't want to break the bank here but want something that will do a good job. Some background info that might help, we live in West Michigan and deal primarily with temps in the 20's on average in the winter. I don't plan on heating the entire 2000 sq ft with the wood stove frankly because I don't know how I would push the heat through the entire house. The main living room, kitchen, dining room is in close vascinity to the fireplace location and the kids rooms and bathroom is close by as well. I'm thinking once I take out the master bedroom/bathroom that I may be looking at heating around 1500sq/ft. I've looked at the Quadra-Fire 3100 Millenium and it looks nice, someone I work with strongly suggests Lopi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Both companies make very good stoves. The 3100 is exceptionally efficient. Try to stick to something with at least a 2 - 2.5 cu ft firebox capacity and you should be fine. With a fan in the master br doorway blowing - towards - the stove, you may be able to get some meaningful heat circulation to that room too. It's worth a try.

I know folks that heat their entire trailer with just wood but they have invested heavily in heat tape to protect all their water pipes. Fans will move the heat to the end of the structure.

BeGreen said:
a fan in the master br doorway blowing - towards - the stove, you may be able to get some meaningful heat circulation to that room too. It's worth a try.

Are you sure I want to blow the fan towards the stove and not into the room? Seems like I would be blowing cold air out of the bedroom with no way of putting warm air into it...

rosencra38 said:
BeGreen said:
a fan in the master br doorway blowing - towards - the stove, you may be able to get some meaningful heat circulation to that room too. It's worth a try.

Are you sure I want to blow the fan towards the stove and not into the room? Seems like I would be blowing cold air out of the bedroom with no way of putting warm air into it...

When you pull the heavier cold air out at floor level, lighter warm air moves in high to take its place. It works.

They speak the truth. If you have access to the crawl space beneath your mobile, you might even consider doing what I've had done to my house during an ongoing major renovation. Completely independent of the electric forced air heating system, I had them put in three floor registers in the most remote corners of the downstairs rooms, ducted to a dedicated variable speed fan w/filter in the crawlspace, and delivering the air up through a floor register in the hearth just behind my stove. Take the cold air out low and direct it toward the source of the heat, and it will be replaced by warmer air moving in from up high through the doorways. I hope it works, but it's definitely going to be a while before I can test it out. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.