OK...just what is a side arm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I've read where folk with OWB use a side arm for hot water...what are they talking about? :question:

Type sidearm in the search box. You will be amazed ;)

A sidearm is a gravity-activated heat exchanger that is typically attached to a hot water heater to provide domestic hot water. When you pump hot boiler water through the outer shell, it causes the water in your water heater to circulate through the inner tube, eventually heating your hot water heater up to the temp of the boiler. In the fall I shut off my electric hot water heater and don't turn it back on until the end of the heating season. We have an unlimited supply of domestic hot water through the entire heating season.

Here's a basic diagram. If you're halfway handy with a torch and solder, you can build your own for around $100 in materials.

Attachments

• sidearm.jpg
    sidearm.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 361
  • sidearm2.jpg
    sidearm2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 356
Thanks for the thumbnails..exaclty what I wanted. Now the results from the search feature makes more sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.