OK KIDS. count the fallen trees.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Driving home today I decided to count the fallen trees from the point where I get off the interstate till I get home. About a ten minute ride at legal speed limits, and with lights. Distance is about 6 miles. I hadn't made it half way and I hit 100. that's trees that have fallen right up near the roads or on the edge of lots. Only counted hardwoods. most of it oak. several years of drought then rain rain rain, tropical storms, and lots of high winds have played hell with our forests here. It all just sits there. Sits sits sits...rots. I'm half tempted to start dropping by and leaving people who have a nice oak down in a convenient spot a note offering to cut it up and take it away for a nominal fee. :) Do that a couple weekends and I could probly afford to buy myself a new chainsaw. yee haww.

Yeah, that would be good...tell 'em you could take it away for $50, then drop to $25 if they don't take the bait. Reminds me of being a young kid when a storm came through and took out a big old walnut tree at my grandma's place. Guy showed up and said he would take the tree for $100. She said she wasn't interested and he was like "OK $150". Grandma says "if I wouldn't pay $100 to get rid of it, why would I pay $150?" The guy says "No, I'm going to pay you for the tree because I want the wood for furniture!"

Corey

I agree, it's amazing how much good wood just sits their and rots. I have been tempted many times to just pull over and start cutting (of course only downfalls). Especially the lots with no houses (just property) and a big for sale sign on them. My thinking is, I doubt anybody would care, and even if the deputy happened to stop, probably the worst thing they would say is "leave".

Dropping off a note is a great idea. Make a bunch of copies and keep them in your car/truck. Just drop one off when you happen to see good wood. It can't hurt. Getting a little gas money for it is a nice bonus.

I have about a 90% success rate when I ask to take wood from fallen trees. Maybe I should ask for a nominal fee now! My success rate would drop but the times I was compensated would make the wood that much sweeter! I have a tall wild cherry waiting for me to find an afternoon as well as a pickup load of hickory that has been bucked into 24 inch logs. I'll probably stick to doing it for free since I am so appreciative for the free wood.

The ropes course I worked at has downed trees everywhere from having the property harvested last year. The beautiful course now looks lousy due to all the wood everywhere. I am cutting and hauling as fast as I can- yes, I love the free wood, but i also want the place to look nicer with a new season arriving. My friend told me I could probably get a tax deduction for the time I put in clearing wood as a volunteer service to the non-profit course. I would never attempt to charge them, but a break from Uncle Sam for the time spent getting fire wood and helping out a non-profit- does this seem ok to you all?

Possibly. But that was the point. you really don't have to look much to see tons and tons of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.