OK lets settle this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
What you mean Rocky wins the T-shirt. I doth protest! >:-(

Looks like you lost due to lack of concrete evidence to backup your claim (kinda like having to do proofs in geometry :roll: )

Oh gawd, first Tulip Poplars and now Geometry...I'm gonna have to just quit this thread. 8-/ Rick

After further review of the instant replays, and a short break from the excitment, Brotherbart was the first to suggest Poplar. Which is the correct answer.

Others suggested it was NOT Ash but could not come up with a species.

So we have two options we can either do a lightning round OR call this thread done.

Your call.

P.s. Am I STILL a WUSSY for not being able to split Poplar by hand????

So much for telling him how to season and burn it. :coolgrin: Might have to provide scientific studies to back it up as opposed to empirical evidence from the two years back in the '80s that we heated this joint with tulip poplar.

skinnykid said:
...P.s. Am I STILL a WUSSY for not being able to split Poplar by hand????

Perhaps, but not necessarily for that particular reason. :) Rick

skinnykid said:
fossil said:
skinnykid said:
...P.s. Am I STILL a WUSSY for not being able to split Poplar by hand????

Perhaps, but not necessarily for that particular reason. :) Rick

Not nice!

Well, OK, I'm sorry. Really. But, hey, I put a smiley on it. Rick

I just logged onto eBay and bought my own danged t-shirt. Sheesh!

It says "Woodburners Need Love Too"

Holy Cow that poplar? My Poplar will split it 2 if I look at it harshly.

Rick:

thfamilyguy.gif

Hahahaha just kidding, your my buddy!

Oh, skinny...that's pretty much who I am to everyone. Especially the ones who meet me in person. :-S But I'm proud to be yer buddy anyway, thanks. Rick

you are my Buddy! you helped me out alot since I came to this forum!!!

Well until you called me names!!!!!

eek2.gif

Seems to me you called yourself names, I just added my inane confirmatory comment to it. :) Rick

OK. Group hug!

Cool, we're buddies...let's burn on, my skinny friend! :coolsmile: Rick

BrotherBart said:
OK. Group hug!

Oh...Oh YESSSSSS!! Was it good for you, too? Thanks, I needed that! :cheese: Rick

If you want to get technical, I'm not sure anyone won. BB suggested Tulip poplar which is not really a poplar but is in the Magnolia family. http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=54 That's definately not what Skinnykid has here. While you probably could grow it up here in NH, its not native. Rocky suggested Populus Alba or white poplar http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=308 which may be close, but probably isn't it either since the bark does not really seem to furrow. If it's a poplar then it's probably the native poplar here in NH, Populus Tremuloides or Quaking Aspen http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=160. I'm not convinced its quacking aspen because though the split wood looks like it and the leaf is similar, the bark furrows seem too fine and I've never had a problem splitting it though I've never split pieces over 12-14". All that technical stuff aside, I don't have a better suggestion and I'm splitting hairs when you're just trying to split wood. ;-P

Didn't mean to interupt the group hug :bug:

jpl1nh said:
If you want to get technical...

Heaven forbid! :bug: Rick

We did this Liriodendron tulipifera discussion last year. Screw it. Bought my own shirt.

Looks like we all need a field trip to the skinny kids house! Get your permission slips signed and we will all go on a nature walk.

Fossil, bring that Bike, I will show you how to wheelie it!

Thanks for the info JPL, now I am confused again.

Split it. Give it a year, no more, to season and burn it. Burns good and clean and leaves virtually no ash. Make the splits big because it isn't a dense wood and per volume is the fastest burning hardwood out there.

Or make really nice furniture out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.