Ok, so im back again. New problems with my englander pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wentreefgirl

Nov 14, 2009
connecticut
Ive watched the forum and read alot. But need some sort of leed on this one. This am, I go to hit the auto start and the pellets feed and no fire. I manually light the pellet stove and run all day. Im thinking its the ignighter. This eve it runs out of pellets and goes into shutdown. So I clean, fill and restart. The lower auger is not turning now. I clean the tube every couple of days. So any ideas what this is? I have the englander shp 55???? Should be in my signature. Mike from Englander, if you can chime in. BY the way, thanks to mike, no more co.

i'm new to the forum but have an englander, is the igniter glowing orange,its in the right lower corner of the burn pot .with the stove off and cool look in the corner and make sure the hole is clean .it can be cleaned out with a toothpic. hope this helps

Rick

Phatty said:
i'm new to the forum but have an englander, is the igniter glowing orange,its in the right lower corner of the burn pot .with the stove off and cool look in the corner and make sure the hole is clean .it can be cleaned out with a toothpic. hope this helps

Rick

Yep, check the igniter as Rick says. I will run the vac past the igniter when it is cool while cleaning. Is your burnpot clean, I usually give it a quick scrape before startup. Are the pellets dry ? Is there too many pellets
drooping into burnpot before trying to ignite (had this happen a few times).

wentreefgirl said:
Ive watched the forum and read alot. But need some sort of leed on this one. This am, I go to hit the auto start and the pellets feed and no fire. I manually light the pellet stove and run all day. Im thinking its the ignighter. This eve it runs out of pellets and goes into shutdown. So I clean, fill and restart. The lower auger is not turning now. I clean the tube every couple of days. So any ideas what this is? I have the englander shp 55???? Should be in my signature. Mike from Englander, if you can chime in. BY the way, thanks to mike, no more co.
What level of heat and especially air do you have it set to when you first light it? I found that mine lights best at either 4 and 4 or 5 and 5, anything lower is too low to get the spark going well.

Haubera said:
What level of heat and especially air do you have it set to when you first light it? I found that mine lights best at either 4 and 4 or 5 and 5, anything lower is too low to get the spark going well.

It does not matter what you have the settings at when you start the stove....it automatically starts on 5-5, and then after start-up is over, it switches to your settings. Even though you can change the settings while in start-up, it actually stays on 5-5 until start-up is over.

macman said:
Haubera said:

It does not matter what you have the settings at when you start the stove....it automatically starts on 5-5, and then after start-up is over, it switches to your settings. Even though you can change the settings while in start-up, it actually stays on 5-5 until start-up is over.
I usually have my stove set for 1 and 2 or 3, and that's where it starts up when I push the button. I can hear it kick into the higher air setting when I turn it up. Maybe that's just my stove.

Haubera said:
I usually have my stove set for 1 and 2 or 3, and that's where it starts up when I push the button. I can hear it kick into the higher air setting when I turn it up. Maybe that's just my stove.

Unless Englander decided to try something new with the control board in the EP series stoves, I was under the impression all their stoves start on 5-5.

Here's what it says in your manual:
"The fuel feed rate and combustion air during start-up is determined by the
control board
, so the stove may be started on any heat range, although we
recommend starting the stove on Heat Range 5, to help ensure a strong fire is
initiated."

Maybe I'm just reading that wrong.......hopefully Mike will see this and chime in.......

Not sure what your other problems have been but....

Try cleaning the igniter in the corner, although I have never intentionally cleaned that area, it gets vacuumed once per week with the rest of the stove. I like to put a few pellets in that area before startup.

Also, the lower auger should always turn when the stove is on. If it ain't turnin' you ain't burnin'. You'll need to take off the back of the stove and check to see if the motor is turning but no the auger. I believe the auger is attached to the motor with an allen head set screw. If you're lucky it is a loose set screw. If you're not you'd need a new motor. Also make sure the auger is free to turn in the tube.

Good luck.

my problem with mine was some thing extremely simple and easy. mine started to go out and couldnt figure out why. i thought it was because the augar was dirty/clogged. so i kept cleaning it. this happened at least once a week. so it went from there to 2 times a day! and i check a couplke of things. my aurar wasnt pushing pellets. but when i lifted the lid and held down on that stupid relay it worked. here all it was is that relay needed to be bent back up. it wasnt getting pushed down far enough. a simple thing like that kept mine from running

[quote author="Ruffy" date="1262521179"]my problem with mine was some thing extremely simple and easy. mine started to go out and couldnt figure out why. i thought it was because the augar was dirty/clogged. so i kept cleaning it. this happened at least once a week. so it went from there to 2 times a day! and i check a couplke of things. my aurar wasnt pushing pellets. but when i lifted the lid and held down on that stupid relay it worked. here all it was is that relay needed to be bent back up. it wasnt getting pushed down far enough. a simple thing like that kept mine from running[/quo

I don't think her stove has a hopper switch. She will have to take the back off and see if the motor is turning ,and if not is there power to the motor . Is the combustion motor turning ?That is the one on the left side when you are facing the stove .

macman said:
Haubera said:

Unless Englander decided to try something new with the control board in the EP series stoves, I was under the impression all their stoves start on 5-5.

Here's what it says in your manual:
"The fuel feed rate and combustion air during start-up is determined by the
control board
, so the stove may be started on any heat range, although we
recommend starting the stove on Heat Range 5, to help ensure a strong fire is
initiated."

Maybe I'm just reading that wrong.......hopefully Mike will see this and chime in.......

Macman,
Could the manual be interpreted to mean that only the proper mixture (ratio) of fuel feed to combustion air is automatically determined by the board during startup but at the specific heat range setting of the stove you have it at?
In other words if the setting is at 3 the stove determines how much comb air goes in and if the setting is at 5 then it automatically lets more air go in. After start up it reverts back to your manual set ratios of fuel to air.

Englanders (at least the 25) starts at 5-5 no matter your comfort setting.

The ignitor isnt really the problem anymore. I keep everything clean. I have a blade i scrape the tube and augor once a week. And scrape the outside of the ignitor wall. Nothing in front of it. THe morning of the ignitor was one problem. Came home with ignitor gel. Went to turn back on and lower augor not turning. I took the back off. Cleaned everything back there. Combustion fan. ROom air fan. Then turned on and felt the backs of the motors. The top augor motor was cool. The bottom augor motor was hot. Not moving. Took that off, looked at the motor. If i try to turn the top motor while off it doesnt budge. When i try to turn the motor of the bottom its way loose.So, took the motor off. THen pulled the augor out. Nothing jammed. Replaced that. Theres resistence in the turning in the gear box. Not sure if that is supposed to be. Anyway, replaced all back. Turned on. Same thing. So, question here is, is it the augor motor, or not. Does it sound like the control panel? HOpe not. It says in the manual not to touch the bottom three buttons. So therefore, not changed as other had said.

It sounds like the bottom auger motor is the problem ,you need to know if there is voltage to it .For that you need a volt meter .I think there is voltage that is why it is hot . I think you probably need a bottom motor . May be you should call Englander and get them to walk you threw the test sequence for that . What are you doing for heat now?

Actually, they do, do a step by step check on the auger. They say, if im not wrong that if it gets hot when i turn on, then we have voltage. So then, is it the motor????

wentreefgirl said:
The ignitor isnt really the problem anymore. I keep everything clean. I have a blade i scrape the tube and augor once a week. And scrape the outside of the ignitor wall. Nothing in front of it. THe morning of the ignitor was one problem. Came home with ignitor gel. Went to turn back on and lower augor not turning. I took the back off. Cleaned everything back there. Combustion fan. ROom air fan. Then turned on and felt the backs of the motors. The top augor motor was cool. The bottom augor motor was hot. Not moving. Took that off, looked at the motor. If i try to turn the top motor while off it doesnt budge. When i try to turn the motor of the bottom its way loose.So, took the motor off. THen pulled the augor out. Nothing jammed. Replaced that. Theres resistence in the turning in the gear box. Not sure if that is supposed to be. Anyway, replaced all back. Turned on. Same thing. So, question here is, is it the augor motor, or not. Does it sound like the control panel? HOpe not. It says in the manual not to touch the bottom three buttons. So therefore, not changed as other had said.

First of all, when you remove either auger, do NOT try turning the output shaft by hand or with any kind of tools. It was not designed to turn by that method, and you take the chance of breaking or stripping one of the gears inside.

Best way to test the auger for proper operation, is to make a "test cord" ( an old lamp cord with the wires stripped at the end) that you can connect to the motor terminals and plug into an outlet.....if the auger's good, it will run and the output shaft will turn.

I'm only guessing here, but have you tried to see if the vacuum switch is working correctly? if the rubber hose from the exhaust plenum to the switch is plugged, the auger won't turn. Take the hose off at the switch, and try cleaning it with compressed air. if you can get it off both ends, blow through it to make sure it's clean, and then run a swab or pipe cleaner through the fitting on the exhaust plenum.

Another thing to try would be running a jumper wire across the vacuum switch terminals...if the switch is bad, the auger should start working doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.