Ok, so it's not quite a wood shed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Curry

Jul 7, 2014
Western NY
It just happens to have a whole ton of wood stacked up around it. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 cords. All hand split, all this year. All cut by me and hauled from my own land. Starting from zero last year.

The covered stuff is poplar, and the uncovered stuff is soft maple. All ready to go for this year.
IMG_1324.JPG

Behind the garage, my "special reserves". Won't be ready this year, but eventually this will be my top shelf stuff, for the dead of winter. 5.7 cords of ash and black locust.
IMG_1327.JPG

10 pallets worth of ash on the north end:
IMG_1328.JPG

8 pallets worth of black locust on the south:
IMG_1329.JPG

And, just in case I get bored this winter, some more maple and black cherry to work on for next year's stacks. The log is ash, but I'm having that sawn into lumber.
IMG_1331.JPG

The whole area by the garage is sheltered by some blue spruce and red pine. You hardly even see it from the house; from the road, it completely disappears. More soft maple in this stack, ready to go.
IMG_1325.JPG

That's a lot of wood! And split by hand none the less! I have roughly 4 cords ready for this year that I started cutting and splitting as soon as the snow melted enough to walk in the woods. And another roughly 6.5 cords that will be dry for next winter and a start for 16/17. I split it all except half a cord with a hydraulic and it was a lot of work. Couldn't even imagine doing it all by maul and wedge! Kudos to you! I did split the half a cord by hand while my splitter was out of commission due to a blown hydraulic hose and that was plenty to get me back in touch with the "old school" method.

Reactions: Shawn Curry
I split it all except half a cord with a hydraulic and it was a lot of work. Couldn't even imagine doing it all by maul and wedge! Kudos to you! I did split the half a cord by hand while my splitter was out of commission due to a blown hydraulic hose and that was plenty to get me back in touch with the "old school" method.

Hydro splitters are too slow! ;) I rarely use the wedge anymore. I'm getting a lot better at blasting through the knots - if they're close enough to one end, I can usually get them to split right in half in a couple swings. But if I'm not making any progress, I'll start it with the chainsaw.

I stacked about 75% of it myself too. My girlfriend helped me toss splits in the trailer, but I'm real picky about my stacks now. If I gotta look at it for 2-3 years, I want it to look purdy.

Reactions: smmjam12
Well they are Purdy, last time I stacked I had too much help and it lasted about 3 weeks and fell over. I restacked it right with no help. You have to look at it for 2 to 3 years needs to be Purdy.:)

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Looks great.

"You never have enough"

Glad am not the only stacking A-Hole on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.