Q&A OK to burn some hemlock with the hardwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a new non-catalytic Jotul stove and a terra cotta tile-lined flu. I'll be taking down several medium-sized hemlocks over the next few years. If I allow the hemlock to season under loose cover for 8 months or so, is it okay to burn it in moderation? I'd primarily be burning seasoned hardwood. Most of the tree cutters I've spoken to have warned me against using it, but if I burn it hot, mixed with hardwood, and monitor the flu, shouldn't it be okay? Thanks in advance.

Answer:

Kevin,

I've not heard of problems using hemlock. I've traveled the country and have talked with folks from every region. There are folks who use nothing but pine which "everyone" says not to burn. Bunk! Stoves made today can burn virtually every type of wood (except salt water driftwood & treated construction scraps).

Mix in your hemlock and it should be fine. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.