Ok to buy wood stove online or better to buy from local dealer? Need more advise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
I'm making progress enclosing part of my porch to accomadate a woodstove, it's framed out and mostly enclosed, need to order one window, close it totally in, tear out separating wall, put in header beam, and then finish. Started getting wood with my new chainsaw.

Now I'm contemplating ordering my stove. I like the Alderlea-6. The closest place that I've found is that place in Bellingham WA. I've looked at local options. Here is a link to the closest dealer. http://craftsmanheating.com/ Mostly these are the catalytic type stoves, but people here say to get the non-catalytic types. Also, I don't see anything here with as clever a design as the Alderlea, with its pull out warming trays. I want something that I can occasionally cook on. I also prefer the old fashioned ornamentation, it goes with my house.

Some people say 'Only order from a local dealer'. Is that true? Should I just look at what is available locally or should I consider getting what I want from further away?

Advise please.

I don't know about the CleElum dealer, hopefully someone will comment soon. It looks like they are HPBA members. Do they sell Pacific Energy?

The Bellingham location, is Tom Oyen's store. You'd have to look hard to find a more reputable shop. That's where my stove came from. They are very customer oriented and guarantee your satisfaction. I'd have no qualms about ordering from there.

How large is the house? My concern is that the T6 may be too much stove for the place. This is based on an earlier posting when it was 30 degrees and snowing, yet the home was being heated by a couple electric space heaters. If the T6 is too big, no problem, the mid-sized T5 is also a great performing stove.

Ah, good. The Chimney Sweep has a toll free number. Give them a call M-Sa and ask for Tom. This is a real brick and mortar store, not a virtual shop. They know their business.

Attachments

• March08-065web.jpg
    March08-065web.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 338
I really like the looks of the Alderlea and really love those pull out warming thingies.

I already got a quote from them on shipping, I got a great feel about them from their site. The shipping to here is $180. I suppose I could go and pick it up if I wanted to, and make a trip out of it.

That's what I did and was glad I did. Meeting Tom and crew was the high point of the trip. Tip: If you do go, bring a box of chocolates, but be sure you hand it personally to Tom :).

WonderingWoman said:
...I suppose I could go and pick it up if I wanted to, and make a trip out of it.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, here...but keep in mind the little beauty weighs ~500 pounds. :gulp: Rick

Good point Rick, it's a stout stove. Tom and crew will load the stove, but it's good to have 4 able bodied helpers on the home end. We strapped it to a commercial handtruck to wheel it into place. Then a quick lift onto the hearth and she was home.

Status
Not open for further replies.