OK to use round ceiling support w/o trim?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natty

Aug 9, 2010
CA
Just trying to save a little money without sacrificing safety and was wondering if I can use the Simpson DuraTech round ceiling support box without the trim ring (it's 35 bucks).

The catalog and tech sheet don't specifically say that it's required, although they don't mention not using it either. They just say that when the trim is installed, you have to use the supplied screws (I assume so that it doesn't fall off the ceiling, not to augment the support box).

Thanks

I don't have DuraTek but rather Metalbest, but about the same thing. If what you are talking about is what I think you are talking about, the trim pieces are for looks. They give the installation a more finished look and also cover up any less-than-perfectly shaped openings that were cut to install the pipe, openings made into ceilings, walls, masonry chimneys, etc. I have two places I am just now covering up with homemade trim. I put the stoves in a couple decades ago, so.....

You can make your own trim if you want. Use some thin, maybe like 24 ga., metal and cut it carefully, paint if wanted. Probably won't save you much money if you have to go by a sheet or two of metal and the snips and paint and screws. I had them around here and didn't have to buy anything.

I think we're talking the same thing, and just like the square boxes, the unit itself attaches to the rough framing with 12 nails or screws so I think this provides all of the support needed.

As far as trimming it out, I don't have a problem with cutting the drywall reasonably tight and then caulking, or if the gap is too big, tape and mud it. So I don't really need the trim ring.

I actually think it will look super-clean just having the round pipe come out of the ceiling with no trim.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.