ok, what's the hot lick for

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

count brewski

Dec 24, 2005
Maryland
getting the old gasket cement out of the groove in the door? I'm hoping somebody has something......I thought replacing a door gasket was gonna be easy

Open chuck on drill. Insert the shank on the wire wheel. Tighten chuck. Start drill and clean out the groove. Wipe out groove. Install cement and gasket. Put drill back in tool box.

Webmaster said:
Old screwdriver........and perhaps a hammer with it.

I was trying this and it was not going very well. I took a razor blade and made long cuts in it. Amazingly it cut through it pretty easy. After that it came out easy with the screwdriver.

I've had good luck with the old hammer-and-screwdriver approach. Satisfying..... If it's really rough, you can use a cold chisel.

My guys use an Poly Abrasive wheel on a drill.
I just use a sharp pointed screwdriver.
we do doors gaskets every day at the shop for walk in customers.

muchas thanks gents, I've been trying the ol' screwdriver method, but as the old cement is rubbery, I'm not getting very far with it.......good old brother bart's wire wheel suggestion gets a shot tomorrow when the wire wheel store opens......and I've since discovered I need to be replacing the glass gasket as well.......so...... let's crack a cold one and watch football

count brewski said:
muchas thanks gents, I've been trying the ol' screwdriver method, but as the old cement is rubbery, I'm not getting very far with it.......good old brother bart's wire wheel suggestion gets a shot tomorrow when the wire wheel store opens......and I've since discovered I need to be replacing the glass gasket as well.......so...... let's crack a cold one and watch football
Colts and Jaguars or replacing glass gasket...no contest (unless you can do both at same time)

wow, a 2 inch coarse wire wheel and it was over and done in 8 minutes !!!! Brother Bart is the man!! Folks, don't even mess with screwdrivers, razors, hammers or whatever, this was the hottest lick in hot lick history......buy that man a beer and put it on his tab

easiest way is to replace the door...but every year that gets expensive,. I have used a screwdriver and tap with hammer but better would be a small cold chisel bought at your local hardware or homecenter for about $4.00

Wire wheel is great if you can get into the space as needed. I just had to replace the damper gasket on my Encore, which was a major PITA to get into - as in "colorful" vocabulary exercise time... I used a mix of different size screwdrivers on the masonry type cement (not rubbery) with and without a hammer. In addition to plain tapping, I found that it also helped to get the screwdriver into the cement a little bit and twist it - this would often cause a fairly wide area to fracture and fall out.

The rubbery stuff, sounds like it would be best attacked with a knife and scraper of some sort, probably shaped to match the groove.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.