OK.....who's awake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I bet in the past 5 years I have slept a total of 12 nights w/o getting up in the middle of the night. My wife can wake up in the middle of the night, chase coyotes off of the deck and turn around and go right back asleep. The cat farts and I'm awake for 2 hours! This week I was wide awake every morning @ 4am. Mr.s Straw is @ her sister's house for the weekend....I really have a hard time sleeping when she's gone! Why did she take her little black dress and high heels? :mad:

yep... we should start a club and call it "insomniac central", i hate drugs of any kind but im seriously considering taking some of this crap the doctor keeps trying to feed me =\ 4am and counting....sun rises in an hour :p

Woke up at 4:30, wish I could sleep in on the weekend.
Sitting here listening to the birds waking up and making one heck of a racket.
Turkeys gobbling in the woods too.

It's the curse of the working man. Weekdays up at 4:30. Slept in today, made it to 5:30. SOB Case a rum case a rum.

KC

It sucks when you can't turn your internal alarm clock off for the weekends.

I took Wallyworld brand of Tylenol PM with diphenhydramine for the first time last winter when I couldn't sleep well. Bottle said take 2, so I did, and had a hell of a time waking up the next morning ....9 hours later. I usually sleep about 7.
I've taken it a couple times since, but kept it at one pill. Still makes me a little groggy in the a.m., so I don't take it often.
It works.

I really have a hard time sleeping when she's gone! Why did she take her little black dress and high heels? :mad:

LBD and high heels...hmmm.....
She prolly justs wants to look good...you know....some sistah competition....I would bet her sister is younger....
No need to worry Jack Straw....
It's cute as hell that you have a hard time sleeping when she is gone. half smiley.jpg

I hate when I wake up at 11:30 to pee and can't fall back to sleep...and I have to get up at 3:30....
that's when I call on my lil friend Xanax...I cut one in half..and......zzzzzzz

Reactions: DexterDay
How is that Xanax? I have used Tylenol pm, but I have crazy dreams all night and feel like a zombie the next day.

Holy Cow! her sister is younger!

I bet in the past 5 years I have slept a total of 12 nights w/o getting up in the middle of the night. My wife can wake up in the middle of the night, chase coyotes off of the deck and turn around and go right back asleep. The cat farts and I'm awake for 2 hours! This week I was wide awake every morning @ 4am. Mr.s Straw is @ her sister's house for the weekend....I really have a hard time sleeping when she's gone! Why did she take her little black dress and high heels? :mad:

Jack, I am amazed at this thread. Perhaps there are more younger fellers here than I thought. Most of us sooner or later have to get up during the night but it is not for chasing coyotes or the cat farting. Dang that curse...

How is that Xanax? I have used Tylenol pm, but I have crazy dreams all night and feel like a zombie the next day.

Holy Cow! her sister is younger!

Xanax can help with the sleep but I'd hate to use it for that. How about some melatonin? Some swear by it and some swear at it. I tried it and every time I did, it gave me nightmares and I was groggy all the next day. I've talked to a few others and when I asked about the nightmares, they too had some but had not made the connection. After getting off it, the nightmares went away.

It seems the older you get, the less sleep you need...or something like that.
I also found that if you put in a good days work, the sleep comes a lot easier.

Now, about the little black dress and heels coment---don't you think that you shouldn't be wearing her clothes anyway??

I worked 12 hours yesterday so I could have today off, and I was awake for 2 hours last night. I look damn good in that dress, I can't walk in the heels though!

Reactions: yooperdave
I stay away from Tylenol PM because that and booze isn't a good thing for the liver. Unless you have pain, the Tylenol isn't going to help you sleep any, the sleep agent in that is benadryl (Diphenhydramine). That can be bought for dirt cheap as store brand allergy pills. Wears off in 4 hours so even if it's part way through the night it won't kill you the next day. (I'm no doctor, just saying what I do for the right or wrong on occasion)

In general, I find I just need about an hour to decompress before I try and lay down at night. With out that, I'm in trouble.

pen

I was taking Biotin a few years ago. Long story why but it involved my hair breaking off on the whole top of my head...:mad:
My hairdresser suggested it because it helps hair and nails grow. It is also good for your skin.
I started taking it and my hair started growing at an increased rate. I also had a very solid sleep when taking it and very vivid dreams...not nightmares. I did not even get up to pee when I was taking it. I think I am going to start it again.

I have read others make the same comments about Biotin online. I researched it before I took it.
You can get it at any drug store.
However, it is always best to check with your healthcare professional before starting it. Especially if you are epileptic, diabetic or on thyroid meds or antibiotics.

Jack Straw, it may help you out with your hair as well...;lol

Jack Straw, it may help you out with your hair as well...;lol[/quote]

My hair grows very well, it's all grey, but there's plenty<>. My family has a history of premature grey hair (closer to white actually), except my brother who has blonde hair w/no grey at all and he's 5 years older than me (whatta freak!)

I sleep miserably also...Every so often I take a couple of Valerian root..Its an "herbal supp", it can be found in the vitamin isle. I've tried NyQuill in my early days, that gave me the Zombie feeling...So I stopped.

Forget counting sheep . . . try counting wood piles . . . that might help you folks go to sleep. ;)

Jake, what is your work schedule? Are you 24 on/24off? That seems like it could mess up your sleep schedule.

Jake, what is your work schedule? Are you 24 on/24off? That seems like it could mess up your sleep schedule.

Most everyone here does 24 on, 24 off, 24 on and then five days off . . . but I'm a 5-day a week guy since I do public education and for some reason there's not a lot of demand for fire extinguisher classes at 2 a.m. . . . but for some reason the 24-year-old guy who has been vomiting all day due to the flu always seems to call 911 at 2 a.m.

I actually sleep quite well . . . I hit the mattress, close my eyes and I'm out in minutes. I usually don't wake up until the next morning . . . sometimes I get up in the night to go pee if I've had too much soda. I swear, I can sleep just about anywhere and in nearly any position.

My wife on the other hand is like some folks here . . . she has always had issues falling asleep and staying asleep. I think it's because her mind is always working, whereas I can just turn my mind off . . . or maybe it's because I never turned my mind on . . . I forget which it is. ;)

I was taking Biotin a few years ago. very vivid dreams...I did not even get up to pee when I was taking it.
;lol

Ok so . . . vivid dreams and a wet bed in the morning . . . . Did anyone get video from the meet-n-greet last year??

Status
Not open for further replies.