OK you ATV nuts, tell me what i need to get.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Most of the old timers know about my helish drivway, so for those of you that dont, i need some advice.

The drive: 400+ feet long with 30'-40' drop from road to garage. 240+ inches of snow per year = drive from hell.

The past solutions:
2007 Nissan 4x4 with a sno way plow.
2002 Honda 1123 snowblower (the largest they make)

The nissan got tore up, plus it wasnt very good at turning around in my tight drivway. I needed something with a short wheel base like a jeep. But sno-way doenst make a mount for my jeep that fits my plow.

The snowblower does the job, but its a pita. and it doenst do the job on the burm that the county snowplow leaves me in the mornings. It also leaves a few inches of snow on the ground that accumilates over time and leaves me with a problem in the spring.

So im thinking about a atv. People have told me that the size is not so important and that traction and torque is. I had prices out a cam am 800 with tracks last fall to the tune of about 14k. The tracks alone where $3500. So my question is, does a 500cc ATV plow as well as a 900cc? Can i get away with chains instead of tracks? Should i buy used or new? What brand of atv do you think would make the best plow. This would be a snow plow first, a toy second.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
-msg

Hi MSG, around here 4 wheelers get stuck in the snow all the time so unless your diligent about plowing early and often...prepared to get stuck with them. Also there's no downward pressure with those 4 wheeler cable operated plows so you will still have that accumulation problem. btw around here with they are common and work out well.

For about 6k you could get a 10 yo compact utility tractor (CUT) like Kubota with a front end loader (FEL) that suitably outfitted with chains would server you well.

thanks for the advice. Downpressure is a serious concern, my large plow had it built in, and it came in handy. I was hoping that the tracks would keep it afloat and help push. I have considerd gettinga old skid steer or tractor, but im not familer with them, and im not sure how well they will start at 9000 at -20* temps. I also dont know much about maintanence on that type of machinery. I watched some you tube vids with people plowing with tracked atv's and im impressed.

A little different climate here, but 2 of my neighbors have ATV's with plows.
Both driveways are about 300-400 feet, but very flat.
Amounts of 6" or less of real light fluffy stuff doesn't seem to be a problem with them, but if the snow is heavy and even only 4-5 inches, they seem to have problems. (Due to lack of weight)
Also, each of the driveways is paved, so that might be worse for an ATV, and might be better i yours is crsuhed stone/gravel.
I think the prior poster was right when a small tractor might be a better suit for you vs an ATV.
It seems like my neighbors take hours to get their drivways done, but they seem to have much more fun than I do with my snowblower.
You should post a pic so us new folks get a flavor of your driveway dilemma.
Welcome back.

i searched for some older photos on the website, but i coundt find them. I will take some fresh ones and post.

I think you need a sled and a T-bar, and a parking place at the bottom of the hill. :lol: Rick

AHH! Should've waited for the pics. I have a little MF GC2310 TLB, and I use the FEL to move snow. It would work better for that if I took off the backhoe (all that weight on the back tends to make me lose steering pushing snow uphill, even with 4WD). Even so, I don't have quite the challenge you do, most of my place is fairly flat. Also, moving snow with a FEL is a bit tedious...lots of scooping, dumping, backing. A rear blade on the 3PH that could be angled would be a nice addition to the FEL, then I could move snow in both directions. I know guys who do that with their tractors to good effect. Rick

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 423
OK, i will do the best to describe my drive untill i get some photos posted. My driveway is cut out of a hill. So on one side it slopes up and the other slopes down. There are lots of trees on either side. My cut driveway is about 10' wide and slopes down to my detached garage. the driveway is not strait. It turns a bit like a gental U down to the garage. Of course the slope of the drive is left to right wich is the down slope of the property. Prior to this, i had it slope from right to left into the hill and had a culvert down at the bottom that cut across and drained downhill. the culvert didnt work. But with the left to right configuration it makes your vehicle want to slide off the drive right. I have wrecked every car i have owned on this drive, i have also busted the garage. A tractor would be nice, but i really dont have a place to store it and i dont think a desiel will fire up in my winters. I also dont know squat about heavy equipment. And honestly if i can find out if a ATV with tracks would do the job, it would be a hell of a lot more fun :O

a cross section of the drive looks like :

_______

\

fossil said:
AHH! Should've waited for the pics. I have a little MF GC2310 TLB, and I use the FEL to move snow. It would work better for that if I took off the backhoe (all that weight on the back tends to make me lose steering pushing snow uphill, even with 4WD). Even so, I don't have quite the challenge you do, most of my place is fairly flat. Also, moving snow with a FEL is a bit tedious...lots of scooping, dumping, backing. A rear blade on the 3PH that could be angled would be a nice addition to the FEL, then I could move snow in both directions. I know guys who do that with their tractors to good effect. Rick

is that thing gas powered or deisel? thanks for the photo!

An ATV with tracks, an enclosed/heated cab, a hydraulically adjustable blade on the front, an off-road light rack, a rifle scabbard, a nice sound system and a cup holder sounds perfect. ;-P Rick

fossil said:
An ATV with tracks, an enclosed/heated cab, a hydraulically adjustable blade on the front, an off-road light rack, a rifle scabbard, a nice sound system and a cup holder sounds perfect. ;-P Rick

thats exaclty what i want you to tell me to buy. Minus the rifle rack, i only carry a Ruger .44mag.

MountainStoveGuy said:
...is that thing gas powered or deisel?

It's a 3 cylinder diesel, ~23 HP. So long as I remember to add fuel conditioner to the tank in advance of the cold weather, it's not a problem getting it to start & run just fine, even in sub-zero temps. If it's sitting there with fuel in it I got the previous summer and I haven't remembered to treat it and run it, then it ain't gonna start. They (the fuel providers) add conditioner to the diesel they sell during the winter, but not during the summer, so us low-volume users need to realize that. So long as I keep that in mind, I'm OK. I learned my lesson, believe me. Rick

fossil said:

Thats a damn fine house you got there Fossil!!!!
You should post some pics of it for all us to admire!

I plow several driveways and occasionally a couple of roads so we can get in and out. All driveways are gravel, stone mix or just plain sand. Also we do not get the snow here as you do in the mountains or what Northern MI gets. However, the past couple of winters have been in the 70-85" range.

Yamaha Kodiac is our machine. 4' blade. No tire chains used yet.

Downward pressure would be nice but I'm not certain you could get it with an atv. If you get an atv, do not get a winch; just get the lever which is on the left side. The blade does not lift hard at all and the winch is just too darned slow.

Our blade has shoes so you can adjust how low you want to plow. Naturally if you take the shoes off the blade will scrape right down to the ground or hard surface. If that hard surface is ice... Also, with the stone mix and gravel, before the ground is frozen you have to have the shoes on else you will be digging up too much gravel or stones. On the sand driveways, you'll be digging up spots where the ground is not level.

In a heavy wet snow, it can be a problem. Then I take small slices and still get the job done. The only time I have had a problem was a 16" heavy wet snow. I got the driveways clear enough to use but had a difficult time moving the banks back.

This brings the biggest point. When the snow begins to pile up to a decent depth, the atv has a problem. You can throw the snow a little bit by going fast but you can not throw it very far or very high. Therefore, late in the winter you can have a problem if you haven't started the year by plowing the snow way back so you will have room to push it later. Or you'll need someone to come in with a front end loader to move the snow banks back after they get big enough that you have nowhere to push the snow.
3_1_05_snow.gif

March2005-8.gif

everyone with the "nice toys" always seem to ahve the "nice" homes too :)

Wouldn' be that hard to have a plow mount fabricated for the Jeep localy. It is done all the time. I am guessing that it is a brand new model, or is it very old that nothing is available for it? Another option is a rear drag or pull plow for the trucks/cars/suv's. These won't tear up your front end. They are Daniels, Snowman, and Artic these are all hydrauliclly operated. there might be someothers. The snowman has down pressure. At least one of these is capable of stacking snow somewhat also. I had a snowman that hooked to the reciever hitch (2"), I plow commercially, made short work of dead end drives, truck docks ect. They will not fully replace a front plow though, but when used in conjunction saves a bunch of time ( no need to turn around). You will still have to move those sides back.

I've been plowing my driveway with my Honda 450 ATV for years with few problems. However, my driveway is not as long, not as steep and while we do get quite a bit of snow here in Maine (100+) I don't get as much as you.

To answer your questions.

I don't care what folks say . . . size does matter . . . to a degree. Power and traction are more important, but an under-sized ATV will have to work much harder. The Can Am 800 is a very nice machine . . . but honestly a 500 cc machine should be able to do most plowing jobs.

Tracks are great . . . I have a friend who had them. His 500 cc Rubicon would go anywhere in deep snow -- floated right on top. They are expensive however. For my plowing purposes I have after-market tires which look more like tractor tires. I was also given some chains . . . but have never used them or needed them.

I am an unabashed Honda lover so I will say that Hondas seem to be particularly well built for work . . . shaft drive, low center of gravity, virtually bullet-proof when it comes to maintaining them and plenty of low end power. I particularly like the Foreman and Rubicon line. That said, most any manufacturer producting a utility ATV should have one in their line up that would be a capable work machine.

I was to buy an ATV I would buy new -- I don't buy a lot of things new, but this is one time when it might be worth it since you never know how the previous rider maintained or handled the ATV. I do have a friend however that has always bought used toys -- ATVs, sleds, etc. -- and he has always had fantastic luck with some great deals -- he's just very careful about what he buys and who he buys it from.

My main problem -- as others have also noted -- is that the ATV takes longer to plow (smaller size plow), heavy, wet snow can be problematic (requiring even smaller plowing swaths), once banks are established it is near impossible to push them back with an ATV (which is why I push the banks way, way back into my front lawn and side lawn early on in the season -- running into a frozen or half frozen snowbank on an ATV is not fun) and while I have not had any issues with a lot of snow being left behind (my Moose plow has "shoes" which can be removed or increased depending on the need like Backwoods Savage's) I have got stuck before by driving too far into the ditch . . . the nice thing is I can usually extricate myself.

I am very pleased with my ATV as a plowing machine . . . plus it gets use as a wood hauler, leaf hauler, etc. That said, I don't know if I would want to use my ATV to plow a driveway like you describe. Quite honestly, I would recommend a small 4WD diesel tractor. While I realize you are higher up, the cold isn't really much of an issue . . . when it's really cold you can simply plug in the diesel for easier warm-ups. My father uses his Kubota all the time to clean out several driveways . . . the negatives . . . a) it may be a bit more money, b) storage and c) it's not as much fun bopping down a trail on a tractor as it would be on an ATV.

I also ahve a 2001 honda Foreman 450ES machine and it is bulletproof. I ahve a Warn 2500LB winch that i use to raise/lower the County stule plow. I opted for the heavier bigger plow rather than those small atv plows and what a difference the added weight is for plowing snow. the count style is also nice since I ahve a longer narrow drive

Whatever you get always try to plow with the storm (say every 5 inches) don't wait until it stops, but you probably already do that. For the money your talking I would put a Fisher or Meyers plow on the Jeep with chains. The only problem with this is if you drive the Jeep alot. I think a plow would be rough on the front end. I have an 800' driveway and I have a 1988 GMC K2500 with a meyers plow and rear chains. The sole purpose of the truck is to plow snow. You could probably find an old jeep with a plow for less than an ATV and you'd be out of the weather. I guess there's all sorts of ways to look at it. I think a Jeep will push more snow than an ATV.

fossil said:
I think you need a sled and a T-bar, and a parking place at the bottom of the hill. :lol: Rick
Ohh, T Bar,
That would be sweet. Ride the skis down, take that back up. Wait till the snow melts. I'm sure someone on here could figure out how to also bring the wood up the slope...
:)
Chad

Thanks for the advice every one. I guess i will have all summer to figure out another plan. Adirondackwoodburner and Firefighter, thanks for the first hand experence. My jeep is a 1998 cherokee, my plow is a 2006 sno-way 22 series. The problem is they dont make a mount for my plow model for that jeep. Not sure if i can customize a existing moutn to work. I dont have a welder or the tools to do it. Also, the jeep is back up transportation, and i hate to destroy it with a plow. I tore up a 2006 nissan frontier NISMO in two seasons on my drive. Actually blew a cylinder! Im sure a tractor would do me the best, but i have zero places to store it. I would consider a skid steer, but there about 15k for something decent. More then i wanna spend. If i can find a good atv with tracks, and for some reason it doenst do the job, at least i will have a fun toy to take trail riding in the summer lol. What i really need to do, is extend my drivway further south and that will flatten out the steep slope i have now. As soon as this 38" of snow melts off im going to have a contracter come in and take a look. Once again, thanks everyone~

Just a little note on plow, if you asked a dealer they will respond with no as that plow is too heavy for the front end per Federal regulations ect. It is very possible that the mount is the same for the smaller lighter plows that would be recomended for the jeep. Here is an option sell that plow or trade it in on one that fits. Every one of the manufactures has or will have out by this fall blades that will work on your jeep. My shop is 3 doors down from one of the Western plants I have seen all the new models in development. The new mounting systems are a snap, drive into plow flip a lever make electric connection, plow snow 3 minutes tops. I have an older snoway 3 point connection up front- total pia to put on and remove. The new lights are much better also. Using the trade in or sell of old plow, it will cost you less than a decent atv. Unless you really want a new toy. Oh and it would be my recomendation to stay away from the plastic blades, they just are not as tough as they are made out to be. No real weight savings anyway over a steel blade. Yep punched a hole and shatered the plastic snoway, replaced it with 16ga stainless steel sheet, weighed 12 lbs more, and cost me less than replacement part from snoway. I plow commercialy, the snoway(22) is a backup unit on a 99 f150. Main rig is f350 with a Blizzard 810 ( expandable from 8' to 10' wide).

blades said:
Just a little note on plow, if you asked a dealer they will respond with no as that plow is too heavy for the front end per Federal regulations ect. It is very possible that the mount is the same for the smaller lighter plows that would be recomended for the jeep. Here is an option sell that plow or trade it in on one that fits. Every one of the manufactures has or will have out by this fall blades that will work on your jeep. My shop is 3 doors down from one of the Western plants I have seen all the new models in development. The new mounting systems are a snap, drive into plow flip a lever make electric connection, plow snow 3 minutes tops. I have an older snoway 3 point connection up front- total pia to put on and remove. The new lights are much better also. Using the trade in or sell of old plow, it will cost you less than a decent atv. Unless you really want a new toy. Oh and it would be my recomendation to stay away from the plastic blades, they just are not as tough as they are made out to be. No real weight savings anyway over a steel blade. Yep punched a hole and shatered the plastic snoway, replaced it with 16ga stainless steel sheet, weighed 12 lbs more, and cost me less than replacement part from snoway. I plow commercialy, the snoway(22) is a backup unit on a 99 f150. Main rig is f350 with a Blizzard 810 ( expandable from 8' to 10' wide).

The sno-way that i have is designed for a light truck. I had it installed on a 2006 Nissan Frontier. Its a 22 series 6-8, with a poly blade. I will replace the poly blade once it gets beat up, but thats what it came with and did well as far as i can tell.. For some reason, when ever i go to there sizing chart, it says the wrangler will fit the 22 series, and the MT series fits my Cherokee.. I dont know what the differance is, or why i cant fab something up to work on my jeep. I got the jeep for $1500 and it only has 104,000 miles on it. Its in good shape, but cheap enough i wouldnt mind destroying it....

Mt series, maybe 7' plus wide to clear your wheel base, I would just call snoway tech department to get the skinny. Snoways are made in Hartford WI about 45 min. from me. Snoway International 1-262-673-7200

Status
Not open for further replies.