OK, you guys should like this one...Heat Shield Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoked

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2015
Roanoke VA
I want to put an insert or free standing stove in my basement fireplace. It is an elevated hearth, masonry fireplace but some of the shorter medium sized stoves and almost any insert would fit. Here is the problem. I have a very cool large beam type mantle that is only about 40 inches off the hearth.

It was some sort of old yoke for something and I certainly do not want to get rid of it or move it so here is the question. If a stove manufacturer requires x clearance to combustibles from the top of the stove, can this be safely and legally accommodated if I build an insulated heat shield between the stove top and mantle? I was thinking something like 2 ply sheet metal with stove pipe insulation sandwiched in between?

Inserts have lower clearance numbers but even those will be a problem for me ::P

Last edited:
A yoke like might have been used with oxen is going to be made of wood. It is combustible. You don't get to say "the only thing that violates the space restrictions is x". If you don't meet the requirements you just don't, no matter how much you want that item to stay where it is.
Can you move that yoke without destroying the look that you like?

A yoke like might have been used with oxen is going to be made of wood. It is combustible. You don't get to say "the only thing that violates the space restrictions is x". If you don't meet the requirements you just don't, no matter how much you want that item to stay where it is.
Can you move that yoke without destroying the look that you like?
I think I might be able to move it. The original owner said it is attached by rebar drilled into the brick and probably the concrete behind it. The one thing that concerns me is how many holes and how cleanly they were drilled...how bad does it look behind this thing? So i guess there is no such thing as a legitimate heat fo between the top of the stove and mantle. I only ask because manufacturers sell us shields for the back of the stove to reduce clearances so it seems logical that something similar could be done.
Safety first and having an insurable solution is important too so I will see what it looks like behind there this summer. Have to find a stove too:cool: Thanks for the reply!

P.S. I can barely spell but words that sound the same but are spelled differently kill me;em

Some stoves allow for clearance reduction if a mantel shield is used. We install mantle shields a few times a year, they aren't very attractive but it makes it possible.
Your best bet is probably gonna be a flush insert, or a stove that sits out pretty far, if you have the hearth for it.

Hey Smoked,

I had the same issue (wood mantle only 44" from top of hearth). After much deliberation about what to do I decided the best course of action was to continue my search until I found an insert that would meet the clearance. I spoke to the experts here, local building inspector, and our insurance company and they all said the same thing: Unless a reduction in clearance is noted in the manual with the use of a heat shield it will not pass inspection or be considered "safe."

I felt like removing the mantle was going to be a huge can of worms. If it is attached as you described there is more than likely some adhesive used on those pieces of rebar that are going to make it difficult, if not impossible, to remove it without damaging it. Even if you get it off you have the other issues you mentioned like what it looks like behind there. Ours was set into the brick chimney so I knew that removing it would leave a hole the length of the mantle that would then have to be addressed.

I'm not sure what you are looking at for stoves but I chose a PE Summit for our install as the newest model had a mantle clearance of only 15". The smaller version the Super I believe is the same clearance. Another insert I was looking at was the VC Montpelier as my BIL had one installed and if my memory serves I believe the clearance in the manual was only 12".

I agree with the suggestion of the Summit and would consider hanging a mantel shield on the underside of the mantel even if it is not quite required. Hang it on 1" spacers for a more discrete look. It can be painted black to make it less visible. It should project an inch beyond the mantel edge. Here's an example:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/mantle-shield.140644/#post-1894981

Thanks for all the great advice all, this helps a bunch. looks like I will be researching the flush mount inserts to see which ones will work. Was hoping to pick up something used but the limited models are going to make luck a much bigger player:) But will go new if needed. Wife wanted something pretty but thinking moving the mantle will just be way too much drama. Lets see what I can find!

Status
Not open for further replies.