Okanagan Douglas Fir pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson4720

Burning Hunk

Here's my current stash of Okie DF's.

Attachments

• DSC_6767 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_6767 (Custom).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1,342
Very jealous here! May I ask what you scored them for?

I have been hopeing that Mr. Warm will hook me up with a couple to do a review with. Maybe this spring? ;-)

I would rather not give an exact amount (for fear of being scolded!).... But I will say that they were less than 300.00. I'm sure the price will be more when they hit the market full force, but I'll pay, because I think they're that good. And yes, I feel that they put Blazers to shame! More uniform in size, density and lack of fines in the bag. They smell too good to burn! I am running them right now in the Accentra and had to shut down because The cat and dog were starting to get hot flashes! When my wife starts opening windows it's a pretty good indicator of heat output. She even notices the difference in heat output and lack of ash with these things......and that's after her personally witnessing the burning of 60 or so tons for 17 years. It would be nice if Mr. Warm could provide you with some info on their future availability......it seems like these DF's are some sort of giant secret?!

Branson4720 said:
I would rather not give an exact amount (for fear of being scolded!).... But I will say that they were less than 300.00. I'm sure the price will be more when they hit the market full force, but I'll pay, because I think they're that good. And yes, I feel that they put Blazers to shame! More uniform in size, density and lack of fines in the bag. They smell too good to burn! I am running them right now in the Accentra and had to shut down because The cat and dog were starting to get hot flashes! When my wife starts opening windows it's a pretty good indicator of heat output. She even notices the difference in heat output and lack of ash with these things......and that's after her personally witnessing the burning of 60 or so tons for 17 years. It would be nice if Mr. Warm could provide you with some info on their future availability......it seems like these DF's are some sort of giant secret?!

I don't think anyone will scold you on the price. I hear people pay $330 for the blazers. So a better pellet cheaper is a deal IMHO. Mr Warm read your post and forwarded this for me to post for you. See quote:

No big secret here. We have to get enough at the mill to make a run and the locals (BC/Alberta/WA state) snap them up pretty quick when we get them and they too pay top dollar for them. We are mostly a pine product, but if we only get a small run of sawdust from one of our two suppliers, we just run them in our normal Okie pellet if not enough to do a separate run of them. You can tell the difference of the D Fir by how reddish/brown they are, where as the pine is very blonde in color. I sent 50 tons last season back to NE and about 4-5 dealers snapped them up…Now they want truck loads of them and I just can't get them…even at a higher price.

I have been doing everything possible to get a WA state supply of D Fir to run thru bulk at Upton, but again ( just about everyone runs into this problem) the rail rates just make it impossible to get them back there in any sort of competitive nature. Haven't given up yet. This is one of my projects for 2012 is to get a constant supply into NE of D Fir that will sell at a halfway decent price…(it will still be on the high side and only a few people will probably buy them, but I do want to make them available)

So maybe next year you might get a decent supply of them from what he stated in the last part. I'm hoping my local dealer will offer them. But I'll have to wait and see. Doug also offered me a sample, But I need to drive to Upton to get them. Too busy for that. I'll see if he can send some down to my local dealer for me to pick up. I probably can't get to upton until summer if at all.

j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:

I don't think anyone will scold you on the price. I hear people pay $330 for the blazers. So a better pellet cheaper is a deal IMHO. Mr Warm read your post and forwarded this for me to post for you. See quote:

No big secret here. We have to get enough at the mill to make a run and the locals (BC/Alberta/WA state) snap them up pretty quick when we get them and they too pay top dollar for them. We are mostly a pine product, but if we only get a small run of sawdust from one of our two suppliers, we just run them in our normal Okie pellet if not enough to do a separate run of them. You can tell the difference of the D Fir by how reddish/brown they are, where as the pine is very blonde in color. I sent 50 tons last season back to NE and about 4-5 dealers snapped them up…Now they want truck loads of them and I just can't get them…even at a higher price.

I have been doing everything possible to get a WA state supply of D Fir to run thru bulk at Upton, but again ( just about everyone runs into this problem) the rail rates just make it impossible to get them back there in any sort of competitive nature. Haven't given up yet. This is one of my projects for 2012 is to get a constant supply into NE of D Fir that will sell at a halfway decent price…(it will still be on the high side and only a few people will probably buy them, but I do want to make them available)

So maybe next year you might get a decent supply of them from what he stated in the last part. I'm hoping my local dealer will offer them. But I'll have to wait and see. Doug also offered me a sample, But I need to drive to Upton to get them. Too busy for that. I'll see if he can send some down to my local dealer for me to pick up. I probably can't get to upton until summer if at all.
Jay, Check your PM's

Branson4720 said:

Wow! Where did you get these pellets?? Can you share your source? I don't really need pellets but those are some amazing looking bags! I hear amazing things about the Blazers and you're saying these are better then the Blazers? YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THEM! Inquiring minds are going crazy here!

oldmountvernon said:
Come on Doug you in the big time now :) Fedex jay a bag or 2 :)

Awe, Dougs not cheap. He's just so busy. He forgets about us little peeps who work hard for the tidbits he might pass on. I can always take the ride to upton(may even get a tour). Might do me good to get away? I'll see if he can forward the samples to a local dealer(quickest way to see the results~hint~hint~). If not, I can't see the waste of shipping the sample(not to mention the abuse they will get) to my door step. We'll figure something out!

We want the dougies~we want the dougies! :lol:

oldmountvernon said:
hotdawg said:
Branson4720 said:

Wow! Where did you get these pellets?? Can you share your source? I don't really need pellets but those are some amazing looking bags! I hear amazing things about the Blazers and you're saying these are better then the Blazers? YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THEM! Inquiring minds are going crazy here!

you can get them here http://www.pellets-r-us.com/products.html and when you come get them bring me the hardwood heat you hate so much ill buy them :)

OMV, you still working on your stash? My little ton of HH will not add to your piggy status! LOL. And HATE is a very strong word. Hardwood Heat and my stove just didn't get along. Happens to the best of us. If you're looking for more HH, you can find the rest of my ton at the TSC in Leicester. I couldn't handle them anymore and had to haul them all back. Wish I didn't though. My second stove seems to love to burn anything and everything! Almost broke my back taking that ton back and they probably would have been great in the Avalon. So, did you try these new Okies yet? Sounds promising. I'm looking for something to replace my Spruce Pointes once I'm done with them. I thought the Blazers were the way to go but quite pricey to buy at $330/ton. These Okies are slightly cheaper.

I think my local supplier is at $228/ton for the house brand doug fir...less $5.00 for cash and he will buy back the pallet for another $3.00.

krooser said:
I think my local supplier is at $228/ton for the house brand doug fir...less $5.00 for cash and he will buy back the pallet for another $3.00.

Krooser, Maybe you can haul some out to us here in New England. You and pete could sell em to us for $300/ton all day long! :cheese:

We'll pay more cus were all rich people over here! :lol: ;-P

Man you guys up in the Northeast and far Northwest can get all the good pellets. Around here I'm stuck with nothing but hardwood. Hamers are good, don't get me wrong, but I'd buy Blazers in a minute if anyone sold them around here.

One of these days the softwood companies are going to realize there is a huge pent up demand down here in the mid-Atlantic region and start selling them around here. Well maybe not, but at least I can dream, can't I?

You are lucky to get them so cheap. I have a skid of them and will get more next year but unfortunately not at that price. The pellets Okanagan are the best burning pellets I ever used. So far i have used American, Country Boy and Thurman. I like the Okanagan the best. But here in Long Island and it being late in the season I paid over 350.00 Next year I will get them early but I can't see them being under 300 dollars a ton. But you showed the site and they do sell them cheap.

I need to start buying my pellets in the summer. The Quad dealer sells Greene Team pellets for about $220 in the summer months, they go up to $265 during the season. Not sure what Hamers run in the off season. I usually get a couple tons in September to beat the seasonal rush, but maybe this year I'll get them in July or August.

hotdawg said:
Branson4720 said:

I got my ton of Okie DF's from a local dealer who I have known for many years. It was the only ton that he had. As of right now I don't believe he has any info on getting any more. If he does get some , I will let everyone know so we can share the score! ( and give him some business!)..... If you read "Mr. Warm's" quoted email you can plainly see all the current info regarding these exalted pellets! Yes, in my opinion they are better than Blazers.....this is MY opinion, not everyone's. More consistent size, density and heat output. Don't get me wrong..... the Blazer's that I have burned in my 17 year pellet burning "career" have put out some super duty amounts of heat, I just like the Okie DF's better. In all fairness, I think that there are many other pellets that beat the Blazers. I have another new fave.....North Idaho Energy Blended Firs. These things kick butt!!!! Very close to Okie DF's. And that's saying a lot. You can purchase them in Mass. Very expensive (335/ton), but, if you're into the exotic stuff like I am, you'll love 'em. I have NEVER seen the stove glass stay absolutely spotless for 2 whole bags of fuel....Thay burn like an Acetylene torch! Kinda scary. Everyone should remember one cardinal rule of pellet burning....."everyone's results will differ depending on stove type, OAK or not, cleanliness of stove/venting ,Etc., Etc.......

Branson4720 said:
hotdawg said:
Branson4720 said:

I got my ton of Okie DF's from a local dealer who I have known for many years. It was the only ton that he had. As of right now I don't believe he has any info on getting any more. If he does get some , I will let everyone know so we can share the score! ( and give him some business!)..... If you read "Mr. Warm's" quoted email you can plainly see all the current info regarding these exalted pellets! Yes, in my opinion they are better than Blazers.....this is MY opinion, not everyone's. More consistent size, density and heat output. Don't get me wrong..... the Blazer's that I have burned in my 17 year pellet burning "career" have put out some super duty amounts of heat, I just like the Okie DF's better. In all fairness, I think that there are many other pellets that beat the Blazers. I have another new fave.....North Idaho Energy Blended Firs. These things kick butt!!!! Very close to Okie DF's. And that's saying a lot. You can purchase them in Mass. Very expensive (335/ton), but, if you're into the exotic stuff like I am, you'll love 'em. I have NEVER seen the stove glass stay absolutely spotless for 2 whole bags of fuel....Thay burn like an Acetylene torch! Kinda scary. Everyone should remember one cardinal rule of pellet burning....."everyone's results will differ depending on stove type, OAK or not, cleanliness of stove/venting ,Etc., Etc.......

These are VERY good!

Attachments

• DSC_7028 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_7028 (Custom).jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 663
Branson4720 said:
Branson4720 said:
hotdawg said:
Branson4720 said:

These are VERY good!

Dang! Branson4720, Where'd you score those? ;-) I thought I was the only one that flipped over the douglas fir pellets, But you seemed to be hooked far worse than I. :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
Branson4720 said:
hotdawg said:
Branson4720 said:

These are VERY good!

Dang! Branson4720, Where'd you score those? ;-) I thought I was the only one that flipped over the douglas fir pellets, But you seemed to be hooked far worse than I. :cheese:

Actually, my wifey picked up 15 bags for me@ Robbins in Oxford. I LOVE the west coast stuff! Back in the day I loaded up on 10 tons of New England Canadians out of Palmer.....those were some of the warmest winters my house has ever seen! :)

j-takeman said:
krooser said:

Krooser, Maybe you can haul some out to us here in New England. You and pete could sell em to us for $300/ton all day long! :cheese:

We'll pay more cus were all rich people over here! :lol: ;-P

The only reason you guys are rich is because of the low taxes you pay....

Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
Branson4720 said:
hotdawg said:
Branson4720" date="1327876706 said:

These are VERY good!

Actually, my wifey picked up 15 bags for me@ Robbins in Oxford. I LOVE the west coast stuff! Back in the day I loaded up on 10 tons of New England Canadians out of Palmer.....those were some of the warmest winters my house has ever seen! :)

Got to say you know your pellets! And your wife takes good care of your pellet stash. ;-)

I liked the NEWP green supreme's. My first choice in softies for a good while before they closed the plant. HD spoiled us with Blazers for a season or 2, But that dried up. So I had to scrounge some others like Spruce Pointes. Prices on the softies has made it hard for me to afford them since I've been bragging them. Should have kept my mouth shut! But I couldn't stand the peeps thinking softwoods were bad for there stoves. Had to express my 2 cents. Will have to chat pellets one of these days! ;-)

krooser said:
The only reason you guys are rich is because of the low taxes you pay....

Now don't start talking about that myth again.

The doug fir's are outstanding. Hands down best fiber for pellets that I have seen in my years of burning. Really can't find them around here anymore. Some of you guys are lucky at your choices you have. Also, nice stash of fir pellets. I am jeleous.

Whatever happens please count me in for the exotic stuff, if anyone wants to split a ton or 2, or place a order somewhere ... I am in also!

j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
Branson4720 said:
hotdawg" date="1327907094 said:
Branson4720" date="1327876706 said:

These are VERY good!

Got to say you know your pellets! And your wife takes good care of your pellet stash. ;-)

I liked the NEWP green supreme's. My first choice in softies for a good while before they closed the plant. HD spoiled us with Blazers for a season or 2, But that dried up. So I had to scrounge some others like Spruce Pointes. Prices on the softies has made it hard for me to afford them since I've been bragging them. Should have kept my mouth shut! But I couldn't stand the peeps thinking softwoods were bad for there stoves. Had to express my 2 cents. Will have to chat pellets one of these days! ;-)

Ah, the old softwood pellet myth!! :shut: Those who know the truth will be happiest! When I purchased those 10 tons of New England Canadians they were the first month of bagging @ the Palmer plant in the Tan and Green New England bags. If I recall correctly they were from a sister company of Pinnacle. I originally purchased them after burning 2 tons of Pinnacles the year before that I purchased from someone out of Holden or Rutland ,Mass.....I forget. I was so impressed that tonnage was needed! Man, haven't seen or heard of Pinnacles in this area since then ( 2003-2004 ish). They were the ones in the white and yellow bag. Those bags are long gone and in the dump by now.....but believe it or not, I still have a bunch of New England Canadian bags in a stack for Bathroom trash can use that still have some fines in them and smell just like they did then! :) Now that is definitely too much bizzare information! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.