Okanagan Douglas Fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just joined to answer this question even though it's a year old. I ran into it on a hit from a google search for Okanagan Fir, thought my experience might help someone.
I have burned all three brands in my hard to clean. builds up ash too quickly but throws good heat Englander multi-fuel stove. The Okanagan Fir was the hottest pellet I've ever burned and consistently so over three seasons. Also almost the priciest at $360/ton from my local supplier. I've burned over six tons at this point - so more than a small trial.
As I mentioned my stove is a bit maddening in the cleaning department so I've searched through about twenty brands and blends for a pellet that is very low ash and reduces constant vacuuming and upkeep. The Fir is far and away the best I've tried. It cuts my need to clean by a factor of five from a lot of what I consider run of the mill pellets. Very low ash, very little burn pot build up. It has the highest tested BTU/lb I've run across save one other I'm testing now. Unfortunately that one is a ridiculous (IMO) $400/ton at a different dealer. I couldn't resist a quick two bag test though.
The other two pellets mentioned - NEWP and Ok Gold I found to be good to very good although again I only ran two bags of the NEWP so far. Gold I ran a ten bag trial on last year and found them almost as hot as the Fir but considerably ashier for me in the Englander.
Most Douglas fir pellets are similar, as are American Wood Fiber Pure White Pine at half the cost more or less ( if they ever come around again). I used to tout the Okanagan DF too but expense went crazy on them. And even if I can't get some of the cleanest burning pellets, my stove is easy enough to clean and the difference in cost is worth saving on my retirement income.

Most Douglas fir pellets are similar, as are American Wood Fiber Pure White Pine at half the cost more or less ( if they ever come around again). I used to tout the Okanagan DF too but expense went crazy on them. And even if I can't get some of the cleanest burning pellets, my stove is easy enough to clean and the difference in cost is worth saving on my retirement income.
Actually, AWF Pure White Pine is what I'm trying right no w in the two bag trial that I mentioned in my earlier post. Where I bought them however they were not half the cost, in fact they were even higher! I mentioned $400/ton - that was them. Wherever you got them at half the cost I'd like to know. So far they seem like a hot pellet to me. Jury is still out on ash, I'm still on my first bag. I'll be checking tomorrow. By the way - I'm not touting The Okanagan Fir, simply trying to report my findings. Maybe it sounded too enthusiastic but they're the only Doug Fir pellet I've managed to find here on the east coast and they seemed great to me although pricey.

Actually, AWF Pure White Pine is what I'm trying right no w in the two bag trial that I mentioned in my earlier post. Where I bought them however they were not half the cost, in fact they were even higher! I mentioned $400/ton - that was them. Wherever you got them at half the cost I'd like to know. So far they seem like a hot pellet to me. Jury is still out on ash, I'm still on my first bag. I'll be checking tomorrow. By the way - I'm not touting The Okanagan Fir, simply trying to report my findings. Maybe it sounded too enthusiastic but they're the only Doug Fir pellet I've managed to find here on the east coast and they seemed great to me although pricey.

A few of us on here last year ran into AWFPWP at HD and at TSC and got several batches before they dried up never to be seen again. They were the same price as the junk pellets they sell. I think you will find both pot deposits and ash withing acceptable limits with those pellets.

You weren't over enthusiastic at all, and also forgive the manners : Welcome to the forum !!

No I've burned a bunch of the Oakie DF, they were good when I'd buy my winters stocks worth on a summer pre sale. They're a great pellet. I was just saying it's not just Okanagan but most DF's are like that. Blazer is another.

Reactions: timberjack
A few of us on here last year ran into AWFPWP at HD and at TSC and got several batches before they dried up never to be seen again. They were the same price as the junk pellets they sell. I think you will find both pot deposits and ash withing acceptable limits with those pellets.

You weren't over enthusiastic at all, and also forgive the manners : Welcome to the forum !!

No I've burned a bunch of the Oakie DF, they were good when I'd buy my winters stocks worth on a summer pre sale. They're a great pellet. I was just saying it's not just Okanagan but most DF's are like that. Blazer is another.
Thanks for the welcome and the info on WFPWP and Blazers. I'll look for the Blazers; any idea where to find them? As I said earlier I'm trying the AWFPWP pellets right now and so far agree with you: seems like pot deposits and ash are within acceptable limits and they seem like a good hot pellet. Just not worth $400 a ton; I don't know what would be. If they could be had for junk pellet prices I'd probably lay in a good store.

Well timberjack, I just keep my eyes open, when something shows up I try it out. Not sure where they might actually stock Blazers but mostly they just show up like the AWFPWP did.

No pellet on the planet is worth $400 a ton IMO.

Well timberjack, I just keep my eyes open, when something shows up I try it out. Not sure where they might actually stock Blazers but mostly they just show up like the AWFPWP did.

No pellet on the planet is worth $400 a ton IMO.
Not this year nor any one soon I hope. And $360 for Okanagan Fir is pretty hard to swallow too. Especially with fossil fuel at a current low.Which won't last of course but while it does my calculations put BTU/$ almost even for propane (my fossil fuel) vs. Okanagan Fir @ $360/ton. And I only have to clean my furnace once a season unlike my stove. I need to find a hot, clean pellet at a reasonable price. Trucking doug fir wood waste across the continent adds too much to the cost to be feasible on the east coast. That's why I had enough interest in a hot clean pellet made from Eastern White Pine such as AWF PWP. I've burned enough EWP over the years in split log and sawmill waste form such as slabs and edgings (I ran sawmills for years and years) to know how hot and clean burning it is. Why it can't be bought more cheaply in New England is puzzling - we mill a LOT of white pine. I think I'll contact American Wood Fiber for a list of their dealers. Their online search didn't yield much except locations to buy their pet bedding.

This is our first year burning pellets after 28 years of using either a Waterford, Vermont Casting or Hearthstone woodstove to heat our 175 year old home. We went a different route in choosing our pellet stove. Rather than use a stove that was reliant on electricity we went with a Wiseway gravity feed pellet stove.

The Wiseway, a product from Oregon was designed using DF pellets. The manufacturer recommends using DF pellets for best results. We bought a couple of tons of the Okie DF's and are burning a bag as I'm typing this.

I agree the cost of DF is high but compared to our alternative, electric, it's a price I can bear. However, we also bought a few tons of Okie Platinum spruce pellets. We have been even more pleased with their performance.

Speaking to how much longer the DF's last relative to other pellets, all we can say is the Platinums seem to last every bit as long. We get about 16-18 hours out of a 40 pound bag of Platinums, burning the stove at between 400-500 degrees Burning the DF's the temperatures tend to stay between 450-550 degrees. So, with the DF's we get a little more heat, comfortable burn rates and a little less ash.

Next year we'll likely go with more Platinums and maybe one ton of DF's for the most brutally cold nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.