Okanagan platinum any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D-mac02

Dec 21, 2013
New York
hey guys just wondering if any one has used okanagan platinums before. They are at a local stove place for $299 a ton and I was thinking of getting a ton. They have curran blend 269.00 per ton. Which I have used before and they are ok.
They also have Curran, dry creek, allegheny, and New England hard woods for 279.00 per ton. A guy I know has okie Douglas firs but I can't see spending 375 a ton for them and every bbs around here has green supreme which I refuse to spend $269 a ton on. The guy with the Douglas firs also has easy blaze blends he's getting for $300 but idk if any of them are worth the money though.

I've burned them before - the price seems to be the most memorable. One of the cheaper costing ones here but availability from supplier has been poor in the past. I prefer softwoods... If prices are equal, I generally shop by BTU ratings if I have a choice==c
This might help with brands available and their qualities ... not sure how many it covers from your list.
http://squierlumber.com/pages/test_results.cfm

Many manufacturers were carrying their Twin Ports Testing results on their websites at one time...

Reactions: Bucks Pellets
I burned them for years. They are an excellent pellet.

I burned platinums exclusively for a number of years. I upgraded to douglas fir the year before last due to my dealer telling me platinums would be hard to get.

hey guys just wondering if any one has used okanagan platinums before. They are at a local stove place for $299 a ton and I was thinking of getting a ton. They have curran blend 269.00 per ton. Which I have used before and they are ok.
They also have Curran, dry creek, allegheny, and New England hard woods for 279.00 per ton. A guy I know has okie Douglas firs but I can't see spending 375 a ton for them and every bbs around here has green supreme which I refuse to spend $269 a ton on. The guy with the Douglas firs also has easy blaze blends he's getting for $300 but idk if any of them are worth the money though.
I just bought 5 bags of platinums to try. I already have 3 ton of blazers which I burnt one bag so far and these was essentially no ash and tons of heat. Easy blaze I burnt about 20 bags last year. Great pellet little ash and high heat yellow pine, they also just came out with a blended pellet which I am eager to try.

I burned them last season (bought them in January or February) and honestly I wasn't crazy about them. I heard from several people (and this forum) that something was different about them last year. I still have maybe a ton left so I will use them until they are gone but not sure I would buy them again.

I burned them last season (bought them in January or February) and honestly I wasn't crazy about them. I heard from several people (and this forum) that something was different about them last year. I still have maybe a ton left so I will use them until they are gone but not sure I would buy them again.
Was it the heat or ash content you didn't like?

i used them last year with the df pellets. They are a great pellet for 299. Great heat and very little ash.

I burned platinums exclusively for a number of years. I upgraded to douglas fir the year before last due to my dealer telling me platinums would be hard to get.
and what is your take on the 2 Okanagans?...

Douglas fir pellet was the best pellet I have used, I didn't have to clean the ash pan for over a week. Now I have a small pan in my p35i and the heat output was amazing. The platinums I thought were just as good for a little less money. There was a small amount of ash more but not a lot. I have test burned a lot of lower and HD brands and will never buy from there again

I'm thinking of getting 2 ton of okanagan platinums and a dealer a little farther away is getting easy blaze blends and he said he's selling them for $300 a ton. What's the opinion on easy blaze? He wants like 350 a ton for the softies and I'm not paying that much. $300 a ton max. Should I get the 2 okanagan and easy blaze blends or just get 3 okanagan?

I burn the Okie douglas fir. incredible. i also burned a ton of Okie Gold last year. They were OK. Nothing burns like the douglas fir. But you're right...expensive.

and what is your take on the 2 Okanagans?...

They are both an outstanding pellet. The DF is a tad hotter with a bit less ash but not alot. On a scale of 1 - 10, if DF is a 10, platinum is an 8 - 9.

When it was 20 below with the wind chill back in February and I didn't shut my stove off all month to cool down so I could vacuum and clean it, I finally realized why folks spend the extra $$ on the Okie Doug Firs. They are expensive. But I'd rather cut my cable bill than stand out back in my yard chiseling burnt toast off my burn pot in that weather. With that being said, the Okie Plats are on the 2nd tier of pellets. But being 2nd to Doug Firs isn't a bad thing.
Take the plunge and grab a skid of the OKPs. You'll never know until you try them.
We offer our customers a Softwood sampler pack so they can test drive a few before they commit to bulk. But softwoods are fairly new to our market in Pa/NJ.
Good luck to you.

Reactions: D-mac02
When it was 20 below with the wind chill back in February and I didn't shut my stove off all month to cool down so I could vacuum and clean it, I finally realized why folks spend the extra $$ on the Okie Doug Firs. They are expensive. But I'd rather cut my cable bill than stand out back in my yard chiseling burnt toast off my burn pot in that weather. With that being said, the Okie Plats are on the 2nd tier of pellets. But being 2nd to Doug Firs isn't a bad thing.
Take the plunge and grab a skid of the OKPs. You'll never know until you try them.
We offer our customers a Softwood sampler pack so they can test drive a few before they commit to bulk. But softwoods are fairly new to our market in Pa/NJ.
Good luck to you.
Thanks for the info. Wish places did that around here in upstate ny.

If you lived closer, I'd sell you 10 bags at last year's price so you could try them.

Was it the heat or ash content you didn't like?
For me it was a few things - the ash seemed to be very high and "sticky" and there was pretty large chunks too. I also thought there was a large number of fines in each bag. I just wasn't Impressed overall. I used Le Crete the year prior and I really loved those.

Well I just went and bought 2 bags of okie platinums and for the hell of it 2 bags of New England hard woods. I noticed the okies are actually kinda dark. Darker then the awf ultra white pines I have. Almost the same color at the hardwoods. Pulled out all of the old pellets out of the hopper and started it up and kinda screwed myself because I didn't get a good start. I had to mess with the dip switches last year because my igniter was going bad so now I had to go and re adjust everything. So I shut it off changed the switches and going to wait a few hours and start it up again to see how they start. Not really any fines in the bag and it sure heated up quick even with a very low flame.

I've burned them before - the price seems to be the most memorable. One of the cheaper costing ones here but availability from supplier has been poor in the past. I prefer softwoods... If prices are equal, I generally shop by BTU ratings if I have a choice==c
This might help with brands available and their qualities ... not sure how many it covers from your list.
http://squierlumber.com/pages/test_results.cfm

Many manufacturers were carrying their Twin Ports Testing results on their websites at one time...
It's funny you posted that link. That's where I bought my new stove, and my pellets for years. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between the new england and okanagan gold.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Well I just went and bought 2 bags of okie platinums and for the hell of it 2 bags of New England hard woods. I noticed the okies are actually kinda dark. Darker then the awf ultra white pines I have. Almost the same color at the hardwoods. Pulled out all of the old pellets out of the hopper and started it up and kinda screwed myself because I didn't get a good start. I had to mess with the dip switches last year because my igniter was going bad so now I had to go and re adjust everything. So I shut it off changed the switches and going to wait a few hours and start it up again to see how they start. Not really any fines in the bag and it sure heated up quick even with a very low flame.
The awf white pine I burnt last year were very light in color, almost white like the lg ultras. They haven't made their way up to this part of mass yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.