Okanagan platinum any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
could be. I definately want to buy a few more bags just to see, it maybe that they were over a year old? Anyway they were burning very hot. I was running the stove at a medium setting and couldn't even put my hand on top, similar to the Blazers
Age should not matter... can be yrs and yrs old as long as they stayed dry....
don't give up on them... although pricey, pretty much best you can buy those Douglas firs.......

The okie firs definitely have a bad smell to them. Got two tons from two different suppliers and both smell the same. Can't really describe what it smells like, just not good.

They do burn great however and I will continue to buy them.

Reactions: JRA
They smell like pine to me.

The okie firs definitely have a bad smell to them. Got two tons from two different suppliers and both smell the same. Can't really describe what it smells like, just not good.

They do burn great however and I will continue to buy them.
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks they smell bad

Reactions: bogieb
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks they smell bad
I just opened a bag about 10 minutes ago....
smell like pine here.....but,
Bags we're bought January 2015 when HD in a lapse of judgement got in a shipment and sold them same price
as the usual crappola they sold at the time.. . soooooooooooooo, I guess I cannot compare to anything bought this year..

I am noticing more ash with my Okie Platinum's this year. The heat is good, just the ash seems to be a bit higher.

I'd like to add a little extra review about these pellets. It's currently Wednesday evening. I have not scared my burn pot since Saturday. Again, SATURDAY! Granted it has been a bit warmer outside and these older Whits without ignitors just go into low burn when the T-stat is not calling for heat, but still. Awesome pellet.

I'd like to add a little extra review about these pellets. It's currently Wednesday evening. I have not scared my burn pot since Saturday. Again, SATURDAY! Granted it has been a bit warmer outside and these older Whits without ignitors just go into low burn when the T-stat is not calling for heat, but still. Awesome pellet.
why would you "scare" your burnpot? what did it do to you?

Reactions: bogieb and JRA
Haha, Damn SWYPE to type on my phone...scraped***

why would you "scare" your burnpot? what did it do to you?
I restrained myself - was wondering how long it would take someone else to jump on that :)

It's been warm here in CT so we haven't been burning any pellets for the last week or so. Last night it got into the low '30's and it was really damp so I pulled out a bag of Platinums and loaded them into the Wiseway. Man, did those pellets burn beautifully. With the damper open (the reverse of a normal pellet stove) the Wiseway cruised along at 450 degrees all night long. Plus, we didn't need touch the ash tray all night long. We love these Platinums and we love our Wiseway Stove.

Reactions: Bucks Pellets
I am noticing more ash with my Okie Platinum's this year. The heat is good, just the ash seems to be a bit higher.

Interesting - to my eye this points out stove dependence.

I found this years' Okie Plats as lower ash than 2014 or 2013 but they did annoy me with shorter run time per bag. I'm about to post my results of 6-bag ash tests with ash volume, but suddenly guess it's only going to be useful with my particular stove or maybe its' blood relatives...

Cheers,
- Jeff

Interesting - to my eye this points out stove dependence.

I found this years' Okie Plats as lower ash than 2014 or 2013 but they did annoy me with shorter run time per bag. I'm about to post my results of 6-bag ash tests with ash volume, but suddenly guess it's only going to be useful with my particular stove or maybe its' blood relatives...

Cheers,
- Jeff
how bout Okie Golds?
burned a couple bags last year but can't remember anything about them..

how bout Okie Golds?
burned a couple bags last year but can't remember anything about them..

I burned a couple of bags of the Okie Golds from a delivery I got last month.

I have an oven thermometer hanging into the airstream of the P43. The air temp raised by 25*+ over the PTL's that I normally burn. I kept the exact same setting; Room Temp on thermostat set at 72 (so stove starts up at 71), feed rate of 3. Had about the same amount of ash, which is not very much for that stove.

In the P61, all I can go by is indirect evidence. They burned a lot cleaner than the ThermoGlo's I've been running and produced barely any ash (compared to ash heaven with the TG's). They burned a lot hotter (no thermometer, but standing in front of the air stream was way hotter), and the stove took longer to go thru a bag of the OG's than the TG's.

Reactions: Peterfield
I burned a couple of bags of the Okie Golds from a delivery I got last month.

I have an oven thermometer hanging into the airstream of the P43. The air temp raised by 25*+ over the PTL's that I normally burn. I kept the exact same setting; Room Temp on thermostat set at 72 (so stove starts up at 71), feed rate of 3. Had about the same amount of ash, which is not very much for that stove.

In the P61, all I can go by is indirect evidence. They burned a lot cleaner than the ThermoGlo's I've been running and produced barely any ash (compared to ash heaven with the TG's). They burned a lot hotter (no thermometer, but standing in front of the air stream was way hotter), and the stove took longer to go thru a bag of the OG's than the TG's.
I did a couple of bags from our haul as well. Very impressed, almost zero ash. Saving the rest for next winter....

I did a couple of bags from our haul as well. Very impressed, almost zero ash. Saving the rest for next winter....
Me too (saving mine) - just couldn't resist trying a couple of bags.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Status
Not open for further replies.