Okanagan versus Cleanfire Pacific

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnian

Minister of Fire
May 28, 2008
Limerick, Maine
I used the search button and read all I could on the Cleanfire Pacific, which wasn't much. There has been a lot of buzz in the past about the Okies, and I burned them last year (5.2 tons). They definitely gave off more heat compared to Maine's Choice (6 tons 2009-2010) and Cleanfire Hardwood (6 tons 2008-2009), but also burned quicker, and had comparable ash IMO.

I can get them for about the same price delivered (Pacific's a tad less expensive b/c Woodpellets is stepping up to the plate finally for problems I had in 2008-2009), but would like to hear some more input on the Cleanfire Pacific, and possible comments about a decline in quality of the Okies(?).

Thanks in Advance!

~Jeff

As with anything manufactured, quality is usually maintained through the production process. I have been following okies for about 4 years and have never seen any difference. There are things which effect performane/ efficiency and they are most likely stove related if the problem was not there, then appeared. And while nobody wants to hear, "well maybe you ought to clean your stove!", I would look in to the operation of your convection motor to see if it is somehow throwing less air. Folks dwell on removing ash and forget about the other side of the heat exchanger.

Cleanfires are Eagle Valley. They are manufactured in the same part of BC as okies and share some, if not all of the same raw material...though I find that they are slightly more dusty, they give out the same heat. You could also go with Spuce Pointe, again, the same raw material.

The cleanfire Hardwoods are anything but clean and may be worse than even Energex or NEWP.

I really like them all and you cannot go wrong with any.

I have a pellet boiler, and religiously clean the pot everyday and do a full cleaning every one-two weeks.

-------------------------

I should also note that the ash from the Okanagan is drastically different from the other brands, in that it doesn't break down. I still have ash all over my lawn from the winter where I spread it out. All the other brands broke down before spring.

------------------------

Love the heat though, and is the only reason why I will buy them again.

One point that should be made...and another reason comparisons are tough...is that a Pellet Boiler or Furnace is likely to burn pellets very differently than many stoves. That is, the combustion conditions in a flame of 70,000+ BTU can be very different than those in one which usually burns at 20,000. This could certainly have an impact on clinkers and other such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.