Okanagan vs American wood Fibers.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
I need some input. I need to purchase pellets for the rest of the heating season and have two options. $200 a ton American Wood Fibers or $250 a ton for Okanagans. Would it be worth the extra $50 For the Okies? Any suggestions or opinions please.

tonyd said:
I need some input. I need to purchase pellets for the rest of the heating season and have two options. $200 a ton American Wood Fibers or $250 a ton for Okanagans. Would it be worth the extra $50 For the Okies? Any suggestions or opinions please.

Don't forget that your talking about a hardwood vs a softwood pellet.

I've burned the AWF and liked them....I wouldn't have any problem burning them on a consistent basis, and as you said, their cheaper.

But all that said, if you can afford the Oakies, they are a GREAT pellet! They have more heat than the AWF, but that costs more $.....it's really up to your wallet.

I have burned both and both did well for me with the edge going to the Okanagans(higher heat and lower ash amount). Both those prices are really good compared to my local prices. But $50.00 is what it is. I would lean to the AWF for that price. As with all pellets and the fact that each stove will burn them differently. I would always try before you buy. Safer that way. Get a couple of bags each and see how it goes.

just my 2

Tonyd I know we have the same stove with similar set-up..I burned a few bags of the AWF last year and they didn't burn well in the stove..so try a few bags before purchasing.

I burned one ton of AWF this year and was really happy, tried to get some Okanagan's but could not find any. Overall I was really happy with the AWF and would buy them again.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The Okanagans are being sold at a $4.99 bag price and the AWF are a ton price. Since I don't have to purchase the ton, Ill just do the bag thing with the Okies and see how they burn. I knew I could count on some great advice from you guys . Keep up the good work. Thanks again. Logged on always, Tony

derrickp said:
I burned one ton of AWF this year and was really happy, tried to get some Okanagan's but could not find any. Overall I was really happy with the AWF and would buy them again.

They have okies at BJ's on young street in tonawanda ny. go there and be happy!!! also have them in olean ny at BJ's.

Thanks Woodsman, my wife found them at the one on Youngs St this weekend, seems they hide them near the bathroom. The employees I asked a few weeks ago didn't even know about them.

derrickp said:
....seems they hide them near the bathroom.......

I hope that doesn't infer their opinion of the Okies........BTU would NOT be happy! ;-P

derrickp said:
Thanks Woodsman, my wife found them at the one on Youngs St this weekend, seems they hide them near the bathroom. The employees I asked a few weeks ago didn't even know about them.

Shocking news. And I am sure they didn't go out of their way to look into it for you either.

derrickp said:
Maybe the employees are pellet pigs and they are saving them for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.