Okanagan..... Worth the extra $$$ ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Stevekng's specialty was more in the thriller genre but he also does quite well in the science fiction category as well.

The cheapest pellet is the one that burns hot and produces the least ash... I've used pellets that require a through stove cleaning every 1/2 ton and a few that allow you to go two tons between cleanings.

Few people would burn a poor quality gasoline that soots up an engine, contaminates the oil and causes stalls and mis-fires just to save ten cents per gallon. But some folks burn crappy pellets with little regard for the health of their stove... junk in/junk out.

Now back to your regular programming...

Reactions: briansol
Agreed. Crap in, crap out, no matter what stove. Burning the best pellet you can afford is the most logical way to go. I have used Okanagans in the past, fantastic pellet. Big fan of Spruce Pointe too.

Reactions: briansol
yea, whether Okies are worth the money or not depends on you. Some folks don't care.....if you're not the cheapest pellet, you're not worth the money. So, if you're cheap (thrifty if it makes you feel better), you probably never will be buying them, and that's fine, there are other choices for your niche of the market.

Reactions: pelletdude
Well, that's simply not true for the sole fact that I can run my stove at 2 lbs /hr with good stuff, but need 4 lbs/hr for the not so good to produce similar heat output btu's, thus, It uses double the fuel.

When I run my VF-100 I don't get too fancy on measuring btu, lbs per hour, or temperuature of the heat exchanger. I go by how many bags I use in a week when trying a new pellet. I always try to use the testers in the middle of winter, when the temperature outside is fairly even. No matter what pellet I have tested over the years, I never varied in usage more than a half bag in a week's time. There's been more or less ash , clinkers, cleaning, etc., but that's it. I guess your stove is more sensitive to pellet quality.:rolleyes:

my stove is only 37k btu's at full throttle, which it hates to run at. so I really have a 25k stove. so the better pellet on medium works far better

I thought Stevekng's specialty was more in the thriller genre but he also does quite well in the science fiction category as well.

Wrong guy. I'm not the writer

Status
Not open for further replies.