Okanagans really worth it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found Okies for $249 p/ton....Thank you BTU!

BJ's in 02703

BTU said:
jtakeman said:
tinkabranc said:
I have also been burning the same brand of softwood for years even though most of the places in my area sell
primarily hardwoods. Cannot tell you how many times someone has given me a lecture trying to convince me
that hardwoods are better and I am wasting my $$ on the softwood pellets.
That is ok, let them beleive that because the more people that go after the hardwood brands, the more
softwoods there are left for me...OINK ;-)

tink,

I live in yankee hardwood territory. Some pellet house owners won't even carry softwoods.(BTU know's who I mean). I feel the same way. Means more and better deals for me.

Yes I do...There isn't a week that goes by in NE that some dealer is telling me that "their" customers just don't use softwoods. I had one VERY large chain tell me that softwoods just don't sell in that area of the country and yet one of our largest customers who sells several thousand tons a year of our product is less than 10 miles from him.

Reminds me of the early 80's when PC's we just coming to market and IBM made the comment that maybe..just maybe that 100,000 would ever be sold....Microsoft, Dell, HP, and Apple must not have gotten that memo...

If hardwood works for you and you are happy with it, then maybe you should not switch, but this year some very reliable hardwood pellets don't seem to have quite the same kick to them as many remember. Length issues seem to be more common as well and then again so many brands still produce a massive amount of ash and cleaning is really big pain in the ass for most...

With tens of thousands of tons sold each year in "hardwood" country, somebody has to be using it, and they certainly seems they are very happy with the results. Just remember ...not all pellets are created equal...regardless what the teenage at Lowe's/HD told you last weekend...!!!

I feel the same way as tink! I have always liked the softwoods. Maybe I worded that wrong?

:lol:
jtakeman said:
BTU said:
jtakeman said:
tinkabranc said:
I have also been burning the same brand of softwood for years even though most of the places in my area sell
primarily hardwoods. Cannot tell you how many times someone has given me a lecture trying to convince me
that hardwoods are better and I am wasting my $$ on the softwood pellets.
That is ok, let them beleive that because the more people that go after the hardwood brands, the more
softwoods there are left for me...OINK ;-)

tink,

I live in yankee hardwood territory. Some pellet house owners won't even carry softwoods.(BTU know's who I mean). I feel the same way. Means more and better deals for me.

Yes I do...There isn't a week that goes by in NE that some dealer is telling me that "their" customers just don't use softwoods. I had one VERY large chain tell me that softwoods just don't sell in that area of the country and yet one of our largest customers who sells several thousand tons a year of our product is less than 10 miles from him.

Reminds me of the early 80's when PC's we just coming to market and IBM made the comment that maybe..just maybe that 100,000 would ever be sold....Microsoft, Dell, HP, and Apple must not have gotten that memo...

If hardwood works for you and you are happy with it, then maybe you should not switch, but this year some very reliable hardwood pellets don't seem to have quite the same kick to them as many remember. Length issues seem to be more common as well and then again so many brands still produce a massive amount of ash and cleaning is really big pain in the ass for most...

With tens of thousands of tons sold each year in "hardwood" country, somebody has to be using it, and they certainly seems they are very happy with the results. Just remember ...not all pellets are created equal...regardless what the teenage at Lowe's/HD told you last weekend...!!!

I feel the same way as tink! I have always liked the softwoods. Maybe I worded that wrong?

Or maybe I did...LMAO :lol:

I had the option to get Dragon Mt but went with the Okies instead. Ive been finding that mixing Okanagans and Cubex has given me the hottest heat output and cleanest as well. Still getting the hang of it but so enjoying the warmth. Thanks Jay!

stevie73 said:
I had the option to get Dragon Mt but went with the Okies instead. Ive been finding that mixing Okanagans and Cubex has given me the hottest heat output and cleanest as well. Still getting the hang of it but so enjoying the warmth. Thanks Jay!

Mixing Cubex and Okies. I will have to try that!

Wow this thread spread like wildfire....BTU I'm in Fargo, ND to the reply I sent you yesterday. Are you selling anywhere that's even close to Fargo?

I bought some Okanagans at Agway in Concord, NH yesterday. I do wish the people would learn to pronounce the name. It came out something like "O'Hannigans!" Imported from Ireland are they?

Oh-ka-nah'-guns

For $6.99 a bag they had better be good!

Three3 said:
I bought some O at Agway in Concord, NH yesterday. I do wish the people would learn to pronounce the name. It came out something like "O'Hannigans!" Imported from Ireland are they?

Oh-ka-nah'-guns

I was saying the same thing until I was corrected. I actually didn't believe him until I wiki'ed the word. Nice pronunciation!

Three3 said:
I bought some Okanagans at Agway in Concord, NH yesterday. I do wish the people would learn to pronounce the name. It came out something like "O'Hannigans!" Imported from Ireland are they?

Oh-ka-nah'-guns

6.99!!!??? They are great pellets, but we sell 'em at 5.70 (unfortunatly not anywhere near you) sounds like a bit of a gouge to me...

I've got relatives who live there! It's the name of a river valley that runs from central Washington up into British Columbia. On the US side it's spelled Okanogan. Climate is quite temperate. It's fruit and wine country. Reminds me a lot of the Napa Valley.

Here's a picture looking down to the city of Kelowna, BC.

DSCF0134.jpg

I'll tell you, both times I've purchased a ton of softwood pellets (Okanagan of coarse ;-) ) I've gotten negitive feedback from either a customer in the store or an employee. "Softwood burns too fast"..... "You wouldn't put softwood in a wood burning stove, why put it in your pellet stove???" Just a bunch of nonsense coming from people, who in all honestly,....probably have never tried a softwood pellet.

Point in case. I ran into a guy at BJ's wholesale who said and I quote, "Softwood pellets...that's just a gimmick....Trust me, they won't be around in another 5 years". I turned to the gentleman and said, " You know...you're probably right. In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe my grandfather said the same exact thing about the internal combustion engine..... and we all know what a flop that turned out to be." He called me a wise ass and walked away. Absolutely made my day.

Great Point BTU - the GOOD softwood pellets produce more heat and less ash. We burn all the pellets we sell at the shop and when I tell customers that the pellet burning is a softwood, most people say " My pellets aren't that hot!!"

summit said:
Three3 said:

Oh-ka-nah'-guns

6.99!!!??? They are great pellets, but we sell 'em at 5.70 (unfortunatly not anywhere near you) sounds like a bit of a gouge to me...

We get 6.00 per bag to try some - $269 per ton and we do store indoors.

I picked up 4 bags of Okie last Friday at B.J.'s for 4.99 a bag. although this is a great price, I can't say I was blown away by the pellet. There was a bit less ash than my usual NEWP's (roughly 3oz by vol. p/bag) and a bit more heat (+ 8-10 deg. measured @ the convection air) but I had the biggest clinkers I've seen in my stove, the wet/dry vac would not even suck it in.

@ $4.99 p/bag I would definitely buy them again, but I have to say if Somesets were the same price, I would go with them, they were even hotter.

Just picked up a ton, shutdown stove to clean then will fire them up later, poured a bag into my bucket, very dusty~!, wife will flip, will have to fill bucket out in sun porch were i stacked them, nice frangrance in there with the sun warming them up!
Look like freedom fuel or piney woods, very light in color, small peices which my stove likes, i really want to see this low ash claim....bag says less than 5% ash???
Thought they were like .5% ash??
also is there any numbers on bag to tell you the "born on date"?

Thanks BTU, i figured it sounded backwards, years ago i bought some Stove Chow which was made then in North Admas Mass, burned them for years and one year they had a weird smell, worse then Okie's, i emailed them and they said they got the 'dust from B.C. :)

Okanagans really worth it??

Enviro Empress FS buring OKIES on setting 3 - looks like 350 degrees to me!

Attachments

• OKIES EMPRESS.jpg
    OKIES EMPRESS.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 338
HEMI said:
I just got back from BT, with a ton of the Okie's

Hemi,

Debi said I just missed you. I got there about 11:45 ish. I did get to meet a couple of members. Sorry I missed you. Maybe next time, Its only about 20 minutes from work for me.

jay

jtakeman said:
HEMI said:

Hemi,

Debi said I just missed you. I got there about 11:45 ish. I did get to meet a couple of members. Sorry I missed you. Maybe next time, Its only about 20 minutes from work for me.

jay
yeah i left just around that time, talked to brian told him thanks for workin with you, told him it helps us out alot on pellets purchasing

HEMI said:
jtakeman said:
HEMI said:

Hemi,

jay
yeah i left just around that time, talked to brian told him thanks for workin with you, told him it helps us out alot on pellets purchasing

Yeah, They liked it too. There seeing how they proform in the real world. Brian has a few others testing for him. But he was most interested in the temps. Thats what we are paying for. I could have stayed and chatted all day. But they were real busy and need to finish there day. He is keeping his eye out for other brands for us. I like these people alot.

We are also burning Okies for the first time this year and they burn the hottest by far of anything we've ever tried. But when I hear everyone describe their appearance, I'm puzzled. The okies I got from BJ's were mostly smaller pellets, crumbly and LOTS of fines. I'm wondering if maybe we got a bad batch or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.